Poll: why do you play?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by MrWookiee, Jul 31, 2021.

Why do you play/perform?

1. To pay the bills

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. To emulate <my hero>

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. For the sheer joy of music

79 vote(s)
    76.0%
  4. For therapy or stress relief

47 vote(s)
    45.2%
  5. The world needs me

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  6. Other (leave a comment)

18 vote(s)
    17.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I voted for the sheer joy of playing.

Kinda miss gigging ,but i'll likely never do it again.

It's escapism from the ills of the real world.

Jerzey Bob, Waxhead, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  2. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I play because I can. I find it's a great escape, from everything, and after 60+ years, I have sort of figured out what I'm doing. Also I should mention that during college, and then the 70's, I met a lot of great people and made good money at the same time.

Jerzey Bob and MrWookiee like this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Music is just therapeutic. Drums for serious stress relief and video games where I can just gith my way to oblivion or beat the heads until I am sleepy. Strings and Keys for some meditative times or fun etc etc. Sometimes it doesn't matter how bad I do. I get done laugh at myself and walk away in a good mood. Of course, it can be a source of major frustration as well when you're being serious and trying to get somewhere but failing at the moment. The I of back to a good RPG where I can wholesale slaughter bad guys and feel a small sense of accomplishment then return to the serious part of the music and make a few steps forward. I can't be the only one like this. I imagine the POV is quite different from someone who has to earn a living or even side bucks from music. I'm just a home player.

4. Llywelyn

Llywelyn Electromatic

Aug 26, 2020
    Australia
    I guess I have one of the more unusual reasons for playing guitar.
    I had played the piano reasonably proficiently on and off since I was 8 or 9 years old.
    In 2006 I was riding along on my motorcycle when a piece of sheet metal lifted up out of the tray of a Ute (pick-up) in front of me and smashed into the top of my helmet at 100 kms per hour. I was badly concussed but otherwise unhurt.
    One of the after effects was that I lost the urge to play piano for a couple of years. When the urge came back I found that whilst I could stumble through each hand separately playing simple pieces, I could not play both hands together no matter how hard I tried or how much I practised.
    I tried Again and again until last August when I realised I was wasting my time and gave up. I was still desperate to play music, so on a whim I bought a G5220 online during one of our lockdowns. I had never held a guitar before.
    To my great surprise and pleasure my hands were able to work together on the guitar, I assume because each hand is doing something different. I still found it hard to remember things, and progress has been very slow, but I am persisting with regular practise and it’s getting there.
    A few weeks ago I sat at the piano and, amazingly, I can play simple pieces with both hands. Yay, hallelujah! The muscle memory is starting to come back, and my technique is as good as it used to be.
    So now I practise both instruments daily, and intend to do so for as long as I am able. God bless the guitar for bringing my music back.

5. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Oh man that hit to the head stinks! Took a pheasant at 80mph once. Walked in the house and my wife thought I was injured, blood and guts everywhere none was mine and I was lucky to have no brain damage. Good luck on the continued progress!

6. karol

karol Electromatic

Dec 27, 2018
    Sydney
    I love music. Through music I want to influence people to be better, elevate their thinking to be more hopeful for the future. Therefore I carefully choose what I play, both musically and lyrically. If I don't agree with only one sentence in a song, I won't listen to it, and won't play or sing it either. Music gives a lot of power, which requires lots of responsibility. My few cents why...

Jerzey Bob, new6659 and MrWookiee like this.
  7. Llywelyn

Llywelyn Electromatic

Aug 26, 2020
    Australia
    Thanks brother.

Jerzey Bob likes this.
  8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    cos after all these years it's still fun :D

9. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    I play 'cause I like it. I love playing with other musicians, it just gives me a kick. I've had periods where I haven't picked up a guitar for years. Lately, I haven't had the opportunity to play with others, but every day I play just to keep my licks up, just in case something comes along.

10. L Robbins

L Robbins Gretschie

May 3, 2017
    USA
    I play for spite!
    ( but for the greater good, I no longer post videos here ) :(

11. KreepyTeach

KreepyTeach Electromatic

May 27, 2018
    Brooklyn, Ny
    I feel like the real question should be what caused us to start playing, but I guess that would be a bit too open ended

12. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    If you tailored it for today's young people it would look like:
    1 - Tiger parents
    2 - Attracting chicks/dudes/other
    3 - Getting $$ or comps for having subs to my Insta/Snap/TikTok/etc. channel(s)
    4 - Having my licks sampled by <my hero>

Jerzey Bob likes this.
  13. NiterideGuitarist

NiterideGuitarist Electromatic

Jun 4, 2016
    Rochester, NY
    Where to start?

1st- why not?
    2nd - because It’s in my blood!
    3rd - it was once a babe magnet thing
    4th - I love to play in a group, jam w/ friends or just put on a tune, find the key & jam!
    5th - it certainly justifies having the “collection”
    6th - it soothes the savage beast
    7th - gigging used to give me some spare money to buy more equipment without feeling like I have GAS (which is the truth)
    8th - Because I have this innate ability to get lost while playing
    9th - repeat #3 (that’s the 71 year old dreamer in me.
    10th - it’s what I do for me

14. Wavey

Wavey Gretschie

Dec 31, 2016
    NorCal
    These days it is mostly for improving my technique and repertoire, and to develop my own musical style and compositions. In the Olden Days when I was in a band it was for the interaction and exploration of musical styles with my bandmates and the people who came to see us perform.

15. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    It keeps me from hurting people because if I wanted to hurt them I'd make them listen.

Jerzey Bob likes this.
  16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    For my fans; they are counting on me to be their hero.

zackydog screaming fans.png

Jerzey Bob, new6659 and MrWookiee like this.
  17. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Where did you find that pic? One of the people looks like an old friend if she went brunette.

Attached Files:

Jerzey Bob likes this.
  18. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Find? That was taken by our group photographer. ;)

19. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    If it's in ya, it's in ya. Get back out there.

Trash Kidd likes this.
  20. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    Music, motorcycles, & online games, yeah, we'd get along just fine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.