Plinking Noise from the Bridge

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by StillHollow, Jan 12, 2021.

1. StillHollow

StillHollow Electromatic

Dec 9, 2020
    Virginia
    Hello there gang, I just replaced the standard TOM bridge on my G5622t with a TOM rollerbridge. Tuning stability is good but I seem to have a plinking kind of sound (only on the unwound strings) similar to what you get on a Jazzmaster. It doesn't come through on an amp but I play without an amp quite a bit.

I have 9.5 gauge strings (D'addario's) on there. I may go up to 10 which is what these things come with but I just don't know if it will make a difference. It is most noticeable on the G string. Truss rod is as tight as I want to make it or I would tighten some more and raise the bridge to increase the break angle since I have a Briggs Roller on the Bigsby.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance, you guys are the best!

2. Jimmy Mongo

Jimmy Mongo Electromatic

Dec 24, 2019
    Vermont
    I also have a roller bridge that makes a similar sound. This noise happens when I bend the G string, it moves the saddle which makes that sound as well. I only hear it when I play acoustically , I never hear it when pluggd in. I may just switch to a solid type bridge that I've seen a few players here use.
    Not a real solution for you :/

I found that the tuners ( G5420T) are the reason for tuning issues and not the bridge. I also don't think(maybe that's my problem) swapping out the roller type bridge will make that much of a difference with using a bigsby since it's more finesse.
    Was the standard TOM going out of tune alot?

3. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Electromatic

Aug 12, 2020
    France
    I've had a similar thing with the TruArc bridge on my 6120, only on the B string. It was not coming through the amp, but was clearly audible unplugged.
    At first I thought it was coming from the bridge, assuming the B slot had some kind of burr into it. Happens it was a harmonic resonance behind the bridge on that string. Believe it or not, but I cured the problem by tying a small wool thread onto the string near the bigsby.
    You can try dampening the strings behind the bridge with something while you play, to see if your problem comes from the same thing.

4. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Ah, the dreaded wolf tones. You'll see a lot of guys using inexpensive rubber grommets (well under a buck for three) between the strings or something woven thru the strings between the bridge and tailpiece. If it's a bridge issue, a Tru=Arc or Compton or Bigsby bridge will cure the problem. They're all one piece, with no little bits to rattle. They have more mass and come in a variety of materials that you can tailor to your particular sound.

5. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Electromatic

Aug 12, 2020
    France
    My wool thread gives me MOJO for days :cool:

6. StillHollow

StillHollow Electromatic

Dec 9, 2020
    Virginia
    Exactly! open G string is fine but fretter or bent notes above about the 7th fret are problematic in this way!

The tuners have not been an issue for me. I tightened each one at the tuning key and added Music Nomad Tune-It lubricant to the nut slots. With the roller nut it stay 95% in tune most of the time. Before with the TOM it was awful not to mention the horrible scrapping sound and the clicking from it rocking back and forth when the Bigsby was used.

Does anyone sell anything specifically for this purpose? Some kind of velcro/fabric contraption? otherwise I will seek out some yarn or wool or something, thanks for the tip.

Can you point me towards some pictures of the rubber grommets? I'm trying to picture what you mentioned.

Too cheap right now to buy one of those higher end bridges. Got my eye on replacement pickups for the SHT's that came with the guitar. SHT=Super Hilo Tron, not what some of you are thinking. ;-)

7. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.