Please help with pedal order

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Misty Mountain Hop, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Misty Mountain Hop

Misty Mountain Hop Gretschie

Feb 14, 2012
    Washington
    I am finally putting my pedals on a proper board and wanted to get advice on pedal order. I have the following.

• Polytune tuner
    • VOX Wah
    • Keeley Compressor Plus
    • Dirty Little Secret iii
    • Throbak Stonebender (Tonebender MKii clone)
    • Throbak Strangemaster (Dallas Rangemaster clone)
    • Nocturne Brain Mysterybrain
    • Van Amps Soulmate Spring Reverb
    • Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 plus power supply
    I am looking for two things.
    • Signal chain without using the Nocturne Mysterybrain effects loop
    • Signal chain with using the Nocturne Mysterybrain effects loop
    Thanks in advance for your assistance! 585C37EC-AEF9-4641-9F00-FEE00DF0772A.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    In my chain I have my wah first, then my Mystery, then my tuner and my dirt after. Wahs often don't behave if they're behind dirt.
    If your amp has an effects loop, put your reverb there, otherwise put it up behind the MB but you'll need to experiment; it may sound best to you last. Put the compressor last so the dirt pedals can do their thing without being stomped on. The dirt pedal order doesn't matter much unless you like the sound a particular one feeding another. The power supply doesn't use any signal so it's not part of the chain.
    This is just a starting point though, not a hard and fast rule. You'll want to experiment to see where it works best for you.

Misty Mountain Hop likes this.
  3. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    I've been a fan of 'dirt first', including the fuzz (Stone Bender...+1. I have it). I do think the Wah should go first above all else. It's strange but in the effects loop of my solid-state Peavey Backstage Plus I like reverb/delay in the effects loop, but in a tube amp I like them in the normal chain of guitar ->effects -> amp. My Monoprice 15w has an effects loop, as does my Fender 2x12 Hot Rod DeVille.

4. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    This is me of course, but I have the following in order and it works well. The name of the game is to try it out in different orders and see what works best.

Ubangi -> fluid drive -> Mythical Overdrive -> el pescadoro -> mystery brain -> True Spring -> TC Polytune -> Amp

5. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I’d put the DLS III after the treble booster and the fuzz. It’s more of an amp simulator and is intended to respond like a Marshall when hit with a boost, fuzz or drive pedal.

6. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    Guitar>Wah>Vibe>Overdrive>Fuzz>Delay>Tremolo>Chorus>Reverb>Amp>Mic>Board>PA>Carnegie Hall...

dougmon and Misty Mountain Hop like this.
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think we would need more information to help - some of your pedals I am not familiar with.

2 critical questions: (1) are any of your pedals above unity gain (i.e. boost), and (B) do you want your dirt sounds (pedals and amp) to have a consistent amount of dirt, or do you want them to change based on what feeds them?

In particular, if your Brain and/or Treble Booster boosts your signal (especially if they are not "always" on), you will need to think about the gain pedals and amp gain down stream, as they will not only change the amount of gain, but the overall character or EQ as well (often times, more boost means more bass). The same applies to a compressor, as they can also boost signal.

If the pedal is always on, then you can simply adjust your pedals to that always on state.

8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I would say order a JrBarnyard!

dougmon, Misty Mountain Hop and GlenP like this.
  9. Misty Mountain Hop

Misty Mountain Hop Gretschie

Feb 14, 2012
    Washington
    Already own a Vintage 47 1955 Twin Supreme which is a dual 6x9 speaker amp with octal tubes based on a 1955 Valco amp. So I think the JR Barnyard would be redundant. Oh I also got a matching cab for that little amp. Definitely has the vintage Valco tone.

Bertotti likes this.
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Now that is cool! So then may I suggest a BigSky or my new favorite the Source Audio Spectrum for those time you just want to mix things up! Or am I still fixated on the wrong definition of order?

11. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Right, For pedal order I just click on the little button that says “Add to Cart”
    :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.