Please allow me to introduce myself...

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by PlumaBlanca, Feb 21, 2021 at 7:24 PM.

1. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Here's another welcome from Canada, @PlumaBlanca - best of luck with your upgrades!

PlumaBlanca likes this.
  2. Thanks for the welcome, good to know there's a few of us on here from the Great White North.

new6659 likes this.
  3. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    Welcome to Twang Central. You might consider building a Partscaster to fill your Tele slot.

PlumaBlanca likes this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Welcome to Gretschville! Haida Gwaii, is this an imaginary place? :)

5. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island

new6659 and Ricochet like this.
  6. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    PB,

Welcome!

Gretsch/VOX,

I know of no better combination!

BIB.

DSCF1322.JPG

PlumaBlanca and audept like this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
  8. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    I cheated, spent a couple of years flying in and out of there almost weekly. I think it was about 10 years ago the name changed to reflect the heritage of the area. "Islands of the Haida" I believe is what it means.

new6659, PlumaBlanca and Ricochet like this.
  9. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello and welcome to G-T.
    Good luck on the pickup and wiring changes. Enjoy!

PlumaBlanca likes this.
  10. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Welcome aboard mate. I've always been in love with BC and Vancouver is one of my favorite places in the world.

PlumaBlanca likes this.
  11. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Please to meet you - hope you guess my name...:D
    Anyway welcome to Gretsch-Talk. Lots of nice knowledgeable folks here.
    AC 15s with Celestion Alnico Blue speakers are great sounding amps and work well with Gretsch guitars. Gretsch guitars also sound great through Fender, Marshall, Ampeg and Mesa amps as well...:).

PlumaBlanca likes this.
  12. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk, PlumaBlanca!

Following retirement, I limited myself to 2 amps - Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb Reissue, and a Vox AC10. Both play very well with my Gretsch guitars - 6119 Tennessee Rose, 5420T, 543TG FSR red/white. Well, they actually play well with all my guitars. :D

PlumaBlanca likes this.
  13. Haha, sometimes I wish it was :rolleyes:

It's actually an archipelago located off British Columbia's northwest coast, near Ketchikan, Alaska.

Thanks for the welcome to Gretschville!

Ricochet likes this.
  14. Howdy Back in Black! You have a killer rig, the one I'm dreaming of.
    Looks like you have a mid-60s AC30 Super Twin Trapezoid possibly with Reverb.

And your Malcolm Young Jets look look amazing, ready to take off!
    Are they the G6131 signature models?

It sure would be fun to jam with you sometime!

IMG_2477.JPG IMG_2479.JPG

The Paul Reed Smith Cab is loaded with 1960s pre rola greenbacks :)

Back in Black likes this.
  15. Thanks for the welcome lathoto! That's not a bad idea at all. Being in a remote part of Canada, it might take a while to source everything through the mail. I see you're in Ohio, my brother lives there in Dayton ;) Any good recommendations on places in the US to get parts for one?

lathoto likes this.
  16. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Willkommen!
    Enjoy your stay here.

PlumaBlanca likes this.
  17. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Welcome @PlumaBlanca !

As promised in my answer to your mp, here's the schematic that you are interested in for modding your G5622T.

This mod idea was first suggested by member @Henry , and finding that it was doable, I made it happen concretely...

1 - The factory stock G5622TLH schematic :

[​IMG]

2 - the PU volume mod I made to have them independent "à la Gretsch" :

[​IMG]
    The 1nF caps across the PUV pots are optional, and acts as treble bleed, to avoid a too quick vanishing of the dimed PU vs. the others.

3 - the MID PU switching mod, inspired by @Henry 's idea :

[​IMG]

The MID PU 2 pos selector is replaced with a classic 3-pos one.

4 - the wiring of the MID PU switching mod above :

[​IMG]
    NOTE : this is a LEFTY circuit, BUT all the pots are wired RIGHT-HANDED, in the conventional sense, so you just have to worry about the wiring of the selectors. I provide below the mirrored RH view of the 2 selectors for a RH wiring :

[​IMG]

5 - the NO PUV mod :

[​IMG]
    The pickup volumes are disconnected and stays in place as dummies, for decorative purposes. The goal is to remove the excess of attenuation, losses and hum given by the numerous pots and back-farth wires.

6 - the POT value mod :

[​IMG]

MV and MT are incresed from A250K to A500K in order to increase presence and output level. Also the treble bleed shifts from 250K+6n8 to 120K+1n5 for better efficiency (Kinman values, or nearly). This is the way my G5622TLH is wired today. The DC SHT pickups reveals all the qualities that were hidden by the original complicated wiring, that made them sound dull...

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

T-Bawler, Henry and MrWookiee like this.
  18. Thanks stiv, I've always dreamed of getting to Italy to enjoy everything on offer there!
    Vancouver is a great city, glad you've been able to visit and experience it.

stiv likes this.
  19. Thanks for the welcome Gretschtim1, if you look in the posts above on this thread you can see my Fargen Olde 800 MKIII. Its Marshall flavorings from JTM 45 to JCM800 also sound great with my Gretsch. The reason, I'm putting TV Jones pickups in my Gretsch is to further the Malcolm and hard rock tones, but still retain some of that good ol' twang for other genres. My next amp will most likely be a Magnatone Stereo Twilighter or something in the Fender realm. Cheers! :D

20. Thank you so much for these schematics! Looks like I've got my homework cut out for me, along with my guitar tech friend :D Good to know that your wiring will help me get everything I can out of my 5622 and it's pickups! Once again, many thanks!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.