Playing Thumbstyle Steve Wariner Song on a Baldwin Gretsch Country Club

Discussion in 'Gretsch-Talk Music' started by Aceguitar1, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Aceguitar1

Aceguitar1 Gretschie

Mar 30, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I recently got this Baldwin era 1979 Gretsch 7576 Country Club from an old friend and I’m blown away by how fantastic it is. It sounds great and plays so easily. I will say that it weighs a ton, but I play mostly seated when it comes to thumbstyle anyways. The guitar itself was bought new by my friend’s father, but he passed away shortly after purchasing it. Since then, the guitar was played sparingly by my friend, who is primarily a bass player. For the most part it sat in its case in a closet. Except for a bit of wear on the hardware in playing positions, it is super clean. Either way, I hope you guys enjoy this cover of Steve Wariner’s “Leavin’ Luttrell.”

2. Crowbar

Crowbar Electromatic

Nov 20, 2012
    North Dakota
    Looks and sounds great! Great job on Leavin' Luttrell, it's such a fun song to learn and play.

Aceguitar1 likes this.
  3. Aceguitar1

Aceguitar1 Gretschie

Mar 30, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Thank you!! Yeah, it’s such a great song. I’m a huge Steve Wariner fan and I think the song sound particularly good on this guitar.

4. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Wow, nice picking! And a terrific score on the Country Club. I think this model doesn't get enough love. I have a '75 in sunburst. Last year it got a fret dressing, and a pro set up, and it's playing beautifully now. Sadly the pick guard, and harp piece inserts are gone. I haven't been able to find any easy replacement for either.

Aceguitar1 likes this.
  5. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Great looking guitar - sounds good too! Of course, that is up to the fingers of the one playing it :D. Thanks for posting.

cheers

Aceguitar1 likes this.
  6. Aceguitar1

Aceguitar1 Gretschie

Mar 30, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Thank you! I love the sunburst ones too. A local store has one for sale right now, but it’s pretty beat up. I do imagine finding a replacement pickguard might be tough though.

7. Aceguitar1

Aceguitar1 Gretschie

Mar 30, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Thank you so much!

8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Always nice to see and hear from you Ace . Great playing as always

Aceguitar1 likes this.
  9. brownie

brownie Country Gent

Oct 29, 2013
    Spain
    Good stuff A1.

Aceguitar1 likes this.
  10. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Great sounding Club. You picked a good song to demo, sounds great and you play it well. Thanks.

Aceguitar1 likes this.
  11. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    great stuff and lovely Gretsch

Aceguitar1 likes this.
  12. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Wow! Fantastic...both the guitar and player. Sometimes I wonder what I'm even doing in this forum. Thanks for sharing.

Aceguitar1 likes this.
  13. Aceguitar1

Aceguitar1 Gretschie

Mar 30, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks so much, everyone! I’m sure almost everyone here is already familiar with Steve Wariner’s album that this song came from. However, just in case, I would definitely recommend checking it out if you haven’t. Especially if you’re a Chet Atkins fan in any way!

thunder58 likes this.
  14. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Nice pickin Ace,geet sounds nice!

My uncle had a 78 in dark stain and it was a handful ,built like a tank ,i thought it was a hard geet to get on with myself.

Here it is with my Super Chet and 60s 6120,he added the Bigsby.
    [​IMG]

new6659 and Aceguitar1 like this.
  15. Aceguitar1

Aceguitar1 Gretschie

Mar 30, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I dig that Super Chet! Didn't Chet hold one of those on the front cover of "Finger Pickin' Good"? I've only ever played one once or twice, but they're super cool guitars!

JC higgy likes this.
  16. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    amazing guitar, and fantastic playing, man! I'm just kinda annoyed that you don't have to make stupid faces when you play. I look like I'm struggling to live every time I pick up a guitar... that may be just a me problem though.

17. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    Beautiful rendition!
    Never heard of Steve before this, googled and actually liked your version better.
    Mrs Bhatta, me and even my mom fell in its spell!
    Awesome picking! Fluid:D

Half an hours work and could get the first 2 lines done...
    Is there any tab or something that you can refer?

Ever since I've had the Streamliner seems I am liking such style more... Would love to give this a go...

Cheers :)

18. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    He did indeed,his was one of several early guitars with the 60's style FilterTrons and open book head stock shape that they changed back to regular Gretsch head shape.

My Super Chet was bought by Richie Sambora while he was on tour in Belfast back in 2014.
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.