Pinned or unpinned?

dougmon

Synchromatic
Jan 9, 2013
California
Gee, I thought you were asking for our opinions on the outcome of a wrestling match...

I would go with pinned, but I'd definitely have a competent luthier do it.

Marv666

Synchromatic
Jul 26, 2020
Germany
I play quite heavy and sometimes have the Problem with the bridge moving ....
I had done the double sided tape trick but i'm not Using it now .... it might mess with the tone, not sure

For playing at home the moving bridge is okay but might go Back to double sided tape when it's time for gigging or try the resin stuff (is it a mess to Clean up??)

Chmason85

Synchromatic
May 1, 2018
Philadelphia
If resin isn‘t enough hold for you, try double stick tape. Purists will say the contact between bridge and body needs to be clean. But the tape is SO thin, it really doesn’t make a difference. I believe Setzer’s tech uses double stick tape on his guitars.
Oh those silly purists… Probably the same group that think plastic feet and Bakelite saddles on a Melita “rob all your tone, maaannnn!” Yes, Setzer’s tech does use the tape, he actually un-pins the guitars in favor of the double sided tape.

FiveAces

Gretschie
Mar 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
I play quite heavy and sometimes have the Problem with the bridge moving ....
I had done the double sided tape trick but i'm not Using it now .... it might mess with the tone, not sure

For playing at home the moving bridge is okay but might go Back to double sided tape when it's time for gigging or try the resin stuff (is it a mess to Clean up??)

First of all, If you've sanded the bottom of the wooden base to match the contour of the guitar top, you'll maximize the contact area and therefore get total resonance.
As for the double sided tape thing. You don't want any thick, foam kind of double stick tape. I used some adheasive mounting tabs that you find in a craft store (Michaels Arts & Crafts, etc). They are double sided adheasive squares (literally just the adheasive layer) used for mounting photos in albums or some use them for scrapbooking. I actually discovered them because of my wife's hobby scrapbooking. They are so thin that there is no effect on tone, resonance, sustain, etc.... they work great and I've had no damage to the finishes!!! Note: they say it could damage photos, but that's because you might tear them. On hard surfaces, they hold well, and may need a little effort to clean them off, but there's no damage.

Last edited:

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
You should read some of those Rosin reviews, maybe on a rainy sunday afternoon. Tone-rosin.

I use 2 dollar Gewa but all you Gretsch Glitteraties will love the Pirastro Goldflex with gold particles. 😛

Joe M

Electromatic
Dec 6, 2018
Michigan
Newbie-type question.....are non-Bigsby Gretsches pinned or unpinned? Or, are they like Bigsby-equipped ones, either way, depending on model and?or year?

j.s.c

Country Gent
Aug 19, 2008
france
Nopins here too...

How to do with rosin... Frankly I don't know what to do with it ... this thing isn't sticky on it own, it's just a dry block of amber resin. My guess is that if you rub quite hard a violon's archet for minutes... perhaps you could melt it a little but not even sure of that... so I had to found something else.

So my way is rosin powder, I just scratch with my knife this rosin block for few grammes of white powder than put some of this powder under the bridge's feets. It seems absolutely useless at first sight, but under strings tension it works well above expectations. I think it's even better if you use heavy tension strings set.

I think it will resist to any heavy playing style if you use 11 or bigger (you should use bigger if you want to tune down). Then when you release strings pression, it's not sticky at all, just powder... you could sniff ... and then leaves no trace of anything, which is good isn't it ?

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
pinned

b49958ff47fd8480add7989d907761fb.jpg

SAguitar

Country Gent
Jan 17, 2020
Jack Plate, Oregon
Several decades ago I knocked a Gretsch Corvette way out of tune during a performance with just a bit of over-enthusiasm. At home when I practice, I am rather nice to my guitars. Onstage, due to adrenaline issues I am pretty abusive to the poor things. I progress through several string changes and bridge locations/adjustments, and then drill and screw the dang bridge to the guitar. Problem solved.