Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Pink Gretsch G6134MC FSR Motor City Penguin

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by ZackyDog, Mar 17, 2017.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    turbo2000, Ando, JHall55 and 2 others like this.
  2. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    The Pepto Penguin!

LivingMyDream and Robbie like this.
  3. MRey

MRey Electromatic

Feb 7, 2011
    IL
    I always liked the blue one, I'd take the pink too though.

ZackyDog likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    I, too, love the Blue model. If someone gave me a pink one I'd sell it and get a blue one (and get a motor city blue Gretsch drum set to sit next to it).

Or one of the new Double-Cut Jet Firebirds or the Jade Green Pengy. Love that geetar!

MRey likes this.
  6. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I want a penguin but I've never seen one the way I want it. I want a black penguin with all nickel/chrome hardware. Filters, preferably tv Jones setzers, thumbnail inlays, and silver sparkle binding

IMG_1103.jpg
    This with nickel and silver sparkle

Robbie, Aymara and ZackyDog like this.
  7. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  8. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Fantastic, a Penguin without that crappy mudswitch, but pink and baby blue are no-go colors for my taste.

But that red one .... mhhhh ... yeees ;) If it also would have a Bigsby, I would be tempted.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  9. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    With chrome instead of nickel and a tone knob instead of a mudswitch this guitar would have a new fan ;)

10. blc45

blc45 Country Gent

Aug 23, 2011
    nc
    Not a fan of pink guitars. Give me the blue one!

11. JHall55

JHall55 Synchromatic

Dec 18, 2012
    Ontario
    Love that pink one!

ZackyDog likes this.
  12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Every penguin model would be nice to own. Love them all.

ZackyDog likes this.
  13. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Conversely I've never seen a Penguin I've liked.

And, being here in The Motor City, I'm at a loss as to what the pink represents.

14. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

I almost had one of these about 3 months ago. Long & McQuade in London ON had a flawless used one. When I walked in the door a young man was playing it and also had a DC Chet or something (Gretsch) in an open case on the floor. He recognized me from a show I'd done in London a few weeks earlier and asked me if I liked my Panther and would I hold the Penguin while he tried the other Gretsch, so nobody else would handle the Penguin. After about 20 minutes he asked me which one I'd choose and I told him a real stand up guy wouldn't take the Penguin, so that I could have it. The Salesman came over and asked the young man which one he wanted, either was $2,200.00 Canadian. I told him right then if he could talk the "kid" into the other Gretsch I'd take the Penguin. The "kid" asked me "seriously, would you buy the Penguin" and I told him yes, if he didn't I would. He took the Penguin, put it on lay away and I checked 3 or 4 days later and he did come back and finish paying for it.

loudnlousy, ZackyDog and nickurso like this.
  15. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

That Motor City Penguin was a style done on Gretsch Renown drums a few years back. I do think it looks better on the Penguin.

ZackyDog likes this.
  16. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Like a Silver Falcon? That would be o.k. to me, too.
    But I really think that the "thing" with the Falcons and the Penguins is the gold -bling-factor. They are the guitar-equivalent of the show-boats like a Stutz Bearcat IMHO.

17. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I agree accept that gold wears off and then it's not so bling. That's why nickel or chrome. I could even do nickel or chrome with gold sparkle binding etc. but the gold hardware is a turn off for me

18. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I totally agree on that . Sadly there seems to be no solution to that calamity. Gold looks so nice to me though....

nickurso likes this.
  19. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    That pink one is killer. Some guys don't like pink guitars, and that's their choice, but I often wonder if they think it's unmanly to play one, or worry about what others might think of them playing a pink guitar. Personally, I don't give a sh** what other people think. I've got my eye on a Shell Pink offshore Strat right now that I can grab for about $450.

20. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania