Pineapple on Pizza?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, May 16, 2021.

Does Pineapple Belong on a Pizza

Poll closed May 23, 2021.
  1. Absolutely!

43 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Never!

40 vote(s)
    35.4%
  3. Sometimes.

29 vote(s)
    25.7%
  4. Splunge!

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    It's funny how food threads go on forever. But food is something everyone has an opinion about.

To me the crust is only a way to thin out the flavors and hold things together, otherwise I would just take a big bite out of a pepperoni and wash it down with tomato juice. Then munch on some cheese and mushrooms and peppers.

I like thin crusts that don't add as much to my waist.

Sabato likes this.
  2. Xochi2

Xochi2 Gretschie

Oct 5, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Amen, brother!

TV the Wired Turtle and Sabato like this.
  3. afire

afire Country Gent

I used to feel the same way. My wife loves my homemade sweet and sour chicken/pork. The idea of fruit in savory foods has always made me uncomfortable, and when I made it, I'd pick the pineapple out of mine. But then it occurred to me that I'm already usually putting a good amount of sugar in most Chinese (especially Chinese-American) sauces anyway. Why do I care if the sweet is coming from fruit instead of granulated sugar? And then I started charring and caramelizing the bejesus out of the pineapple chunks and got comfortable adding chili flakes in oil for heat on a sweetish dish, and now I like it just as much as my wife.

So, I'm not opposed to pineapple on a pizza. But it just doesn't interest me at all. If I'm eating pizza, I want the classic toppings.

4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    I grill pineapple for kabOBS (not caahbaaabz) w vegies n chicken, I grill pineaple slices next to chicken breasts and bacon w some aged gouda melted ontop w kaiser buns... but no,nay,never on pizza!

drmilktruck and blueruins like this.
  5. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Now you’re comparing apples and oranges;)

I agree with you though...I could care less what people eat on their pizza, but when I eat pizza I want the classic toppings. I ain’t interested in switching it up I’m eating it because I want pizza.

When I want something disgusting like pineapple and pork I’ll order sweet and sour pork.

it’s about as Chinese as my grandma:D

6. azrielle

azrielle Electromatic

Feb 24, 2021
    Lund,NV USA
    My favorite Pizza, developed over most of my 68 years of life:
    Pineapple
    Black Olives
    Italian Sausage
    Red Onions (optional)
    Tomatoes (optional)

drmilktruck likes this.
  7. r0de0

r0de0 Synchromatic

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Yep, it's a Hawaiian @ Pizza the Hut!

blueruins likes this.
  8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yes. For Caesar tacos, I take the sardines, Calabria chili and the dressing and mash it all up into a paste. Take a whole Romaine leaf, drizzle along the bottom of the valley, drop in chicken, dash of parm, croutons, shredded carrot (or whatever you want). Mmmm I love Caesar tacos. It started as a fun way to get the kids to eat salad.

9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    One of the rules/mottos of the Meat Club was Bread (and similar) is a utensil.

The only other one I can remember right now is Chicken is a vegetable.

blueruins and Sabato like this.
  10. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Because of this thread I bought a couple of frozen pizzas today for the first time in months. Wish they had Hawaiian but no luck. Thin crust supreme, cheap and purty tasty once I throw more stuff on top.

drmilktruck likes this.
  11. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Electromatic

There are 2 things that don't belong on a pizza - pineapple (which I like by itself when it's fresh), and those nasty salty little fish!

Sabato and blueruins like this.
  12. afire

afire Country Gent

If you have any interest in homemade Caesar dressing, this is my favorite. It only takes about 10-15 minutes to whip up a batch and make all the difference in the world.

• 5 anchovy filets
      1 clove garlic, smashed
      1/4 t kosher salt
      2 large egg yolks (pasteurized if you're skittish)
      2 T fresh lemon juice
      3/4 t Dijon mustard
      2 T olive oil
      1/2 c neutral vegetable oil
      3 T finely grated parmesan
      Salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and extra lemon juice to taste.

• Chop together anchovy fillets packed in oil, garlic clove, and a pinch of kosher salt. Use the side of a knife blade to mash into a paste, then scrape into a medium bowl. Whisk in 2 large egg yolks, fresh lemon juice, and the Dijon mustard. Adding drop by drop to start, gradually whisk in the olive oil, then the vegetable oil; whisk until dressing is thick and glossy. Use an electric mixer if you have one. Whisk in Parmesan. Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and more lemon juice, if desired.

13. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Synchromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    Yes sign me up.

drmilktruck likes this.
  14. Like “self-taught” guitar players today:
    The are no self-made men (or women) in the Land of Pizza.

If you didn’t start on a diddley bow, or its equivalent;
    if you didn’t invent the musical staff or toss you own pizza &
    stomping the tomatoes into sauce like grapes: you ain’t really self-made.

You just have a selective memory.

15. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Not my favourite but I won’t throw a fit either. I can appreciate traditions but at some point you have to wonder how true they are. Perhaps they’re just recent enough fads that stuck around.

I enjoy a good cup of espresso, but I don’t think it’s the only way to drink proper coffee. Espresso has only been around since the ‘50s, and suddenly I have to deal with a bunch of bloody elitist cup sniffers who ignore the fact coffee has been around for a 1000 years in perfectly drinkable form.

Seriously, in the history of mankind someone never made a form of flatbread, slapped some stuff on it, and shoved it into an oven?

:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.