Pickup specs, please? BTBT & mini humbuckers

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by DECEMBER, Nov 25, 2021.

1. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Newbie

Nov 25, 2021
    Beaverton, OR
    I just got a G5260 baritone with Gretsch mini humbuckers and I love the clean tone.
    I have an Epiphone Les Paul Muse with Alnico Classic humbuckers and they're muddy and make the clean channel go overdrive at very low gain. I thought the problem was the amp when I only had the LP, but now that I have the Gretsch: massive difference. So much more clarity and it can go to 80-90% gain before going overdrive.
    Now that I know, I'm selling the LP and looking at either a G5220 Electromatic with blacktop Broad'Trons, or a PRS Mira.
    Does anyone know the specs on the Gretsch pickups, to compare? I really like these mini humbuckers. How do the BTBTs compare?
    If possible, I'd like to know the following info for the mini humbuckers and the Broad'Trons:
    Alnico or ceramic?
    Rated output?
    I can't believe I can't find this info online, let alone their website.
    I also have the G2220 Junior Jet II short scale bass, which also has mini humbuckers, but they're smooth tops, not like the ones on the baritone.
    Thanks a bunch!

2. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Be careful. There are Broad’trons, BT2S Broad’trons, Blacktop Filter’trons, Blacktop Broad’trons, and FT5e Filter’trons that look like Blacktops. The newer BT2S Broad’trons may also be referred to simply as Broad’trons.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Gretsch mini humbuckers are just that…low output mini humbuckers.
    I don’t want to deter anyone from getting a new Gretsch but you might get what you want fitting a pair of mini humbuckers in the Epi LP?

Henry likes this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Or stay with Gretsch and look for a first gen Pro Jet. They came with the minihums on them.

j.s.c and Ricochet like this.
  5. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I don't like the Epi AL Classic HBs, too muddy, even ($35 each) GFS HBs sound better to my ears.

DECEMBER likes this.
  6. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Newbie

Nov 25, 2021
    Beaverton, OR
    It was a compromise. The one I really wanted was backordered all year, and for the cost of new pickups, I might as well just sell it and get a different one.
    Also having intonation problems on the 6th string. It's a .054 for drop-D.

Henry and Ricochet like this.
  7. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Newbie

Nov 25, 2021
    Beaverton, OR
  8. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Country Gent

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    @DECEMBER I had a 2008 Pro Jet with the mini humbuckers. The bridge pickup was okay but the neck pickup was too muddy. Eventually I shoe-horned a set of Blacktop Filtertrons in there, replaced the pots with quality CTS ones and the guitar really came alive. Very Gretschy sounding, where as the mini humbuckers sounded very plain.
    If you are interested TV Jones makes a block kit to retrofit the BT’s into the mini hum’s routes.

9. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    I have a set of minis or two to be sold... PM if you want a clean set.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.