Pickup rings messing up pickup height

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Norwegian6119, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Norwegian6119

Norwegian6119 Electromatic

Aug 23, 2021
    Norway
    I was messing about with the height of my pickups since they seem to be sitting a bit low. Popped them out and added some compression foam on the guitar bracing so that the pickups could be adjusted with the screws.
    Worked perfectly on the neck pickup, but upon reassembling the bridge pickup I noticed the pickup ring pushed the pickup back down. I can't see any simple way around that issue since the ring defines the max height as it sits over that ear on the pickup.
    Anyone encountered the same? Might not be a problem but the neck pickup is loud and snappy and the bridge has a volume drop. It's still twangy though. It's possible that the issue is that I pushed the neck one too far up, but I kinda like it like that.

2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Are these after market pickups? Is it possible that you have a neck pickup in the bridge position? Bridge pickups are usually taller.

3. Norwegian6119

Aug 23, 2021
    Norway
    They are the originals and they are in the correct position. I do remember the previous owner of the 6119 mentioning he had the neck adjusted to suit his playing style. Not sure which way he adjusted it, but I had to lower the bridge a fair bit to smoothen the action. There is no more room for adjustment on the pickup so I think I'm taking it to my tech. It sounds fine, just want to see if I'm missing some omph.

4. Electrosynthesis

Electrosynthesis Gretschie

May 11, 2011
    São Paulo
    Hi! It would be nice if you posted pictures. Maybe someone could help you to identify the problem if they could see what's going on.

5. Norwegian6119

Aug 23, 2021
    Norway
    Not too easy to see the actual string height, but at the bridge pickup it's 5,5mm with no more room for adjustment. The bridge is adjusted so that the action is low without buzzing. If I drop it more there will be fret buzz.
    20210911_143827.jpg

6. Electrosynthesis

May 11, 2011
    São Paulo
    I can't really see the interaction between pickup and rings on the photo. But 5,5mm might really be too low AFAIK. On my C Club the pickups are kind of different, one has a border and the other doesn't, here is a picture:
    On the bridge pickup, I use springs instead of a foam to adjust the height.
    I hope this helps...

Edit: I had written neck PU for the springs...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  7. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    You mentioned that the ring is pushing down on the pickup's ears. I'm a little confused by this. As I understand it, HS Filtertron neck pickups have ears, but bridge pickups don't. (That's the case with modern HS Filtertrons, anyway. I don't know about pre-FMIC models.)

I know you've checked to ensure that the pickups weren't reversed, but is it possible that you have two neck pickups?

Another possible solution: if the ears are in the way, and you don't mind modifying your pickup, you could remove the ears with a pair of tin snips and see whether that solves the problem.

8. Electrosynthesis

May 11, 2011
    São Paulo
    That would also be my guess.

9. Norwegian6119

Aug 23, 2021
    Norway
    It measured the output (on a short jack, i can't access anything inside) and both pickups are 7.2k. I guess this points to both being identical at least. As you can see in the picture the bridge one has the ears as well as the neck. It sounds good, I have tested it neck to neck with a newer version and there was very little difference between them.

I guess I could take the ears off on the bridge one. Not sure what the previous owner have done, but the pickup rings were seized good and have not been off the guitar for a very long time.

Edit: Apparently the whole pickup situation is a pre-Fender feature and not a previous owner hack. So I'll just shave the ears off and crank the bridge pickup closer to the strings.
    20210917_152355.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    section2 likes this.
  10. Electrosynthesis

May 11, 2011
    São Paulo
    Hey, I hope it works out! Don't hesitate to have it checked by a professional. I usually do the set up myself, after some years I've gotten the hang of it. But recently I took my C Club to a luthier, because I wanted to have the frets adjusted, and that is beyond me.

It was really worth it. When I got it back, I was expecting it to be a little bit better, but the difference for the better was enormous. For the first couple of days I couldn't put it down, and now I'm always looking forward to playing.

Good luck!

Dave Murray likes this.
  11. Norwegian6119

Aug 23, 2021
    Norway
    30 minutes work and the bridge pickup is working perfectly. Finished the edges with a smooth file and it's like it never had ears and the adjustment action is all good. Going to install springs later also.
    I have a luthier friend and I'm going to let him do a proper setup so it's as good as it can be. I suspect it has been sitting in its case for years But at least he can adjust pickups and string height without power tools now.

Preliminary testing says it's even more twangy now that I can stick the bridge pickup closer to the strings.

20210917_162034.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Glad it's working out for you ...... and Rose :) ( love the Tennessee Rose )

13. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Good job on the fix. Enjoy your Rose.

14. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Glad you were able to fix it up. Rock on!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.