Pickup replacment

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Dirtyblues, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Dirtyblues

Dirtyblues Electromatic

Jan 27, 2021
    Netherlands
    I got a double phat cat guitar and the neck pickup doesn’t really do it for me. I’m looking for a replacement.

Im stuck between a filtertron humbucker sized because of the clarity and a splittable humbucker to get some Stratish neck tones.

need some help deciding.

2. BentFX

BentFX Electromatic

Dec 15, 2020
    Unspecified
    I really can't help with a lot of technical info. But someone's got to respond. :)

I don't know. I'm currently trying to decide between Setzer signatures in a CB Jr, or a Classic+ in the bridge and a SuperTron in the neck. Also looking at replacing the wiring harness. The pots are working good, but the current crop of Electromatic have a reputation of problems with pots. It brings up a lot of thoughts about it, one of which is, if I'm doing it I should wire in push/pull tap/split, but I haven't found any *Tron videos/reviews regarding splitting that have pushed me over that edge.

As I said, I don't know. There's so many directions a person might want to go. Good luck with that! :D

3. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    Tv jones offers filtertrons that fit into humbucker routing, very good pickups

BennytheJet likes this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I’m not sure replacing a single coil with a humbucker is the way to win some clarity. Even with a bright and clean humbucker on split coil setting.

Lot’s of ways to win a bit of clarity. Whether it’s enough for you I can’t say.
    Replace the magnets with A3 or A4. Remove metal cover if it has one. Drop the pickup(1 or 2mm), particularly the bass side, raise the polepieces. If it has it’s own volume pot raise the resistance value. These are all subtle changes but might make the difference for you. Only if you don’t like something inherent to the character of the pickup would you need to replace it, but you still like the bridge, right?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  5. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Splitting humbuckers is fun on my Sheraton but to be honest I don't use that set up so often. There's a distinct loss of output so it might be a problem to balance between neck and bridge in your project.

6. ALS57

ALS57 Gretschie

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    Marv666 likes this.
  7. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    They actually look like real filtertrons,have you tried them?
    Might be worth looking into

8. ALS57

ALS57 Gretschie

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    Yes I have a set of fletch-o-trons in my 2420 and to me they sound excellent. The 2420 is my first gretsch so I can't personally compare them to Gretsch filtertrons or TV Jones etc.

IMG_20210228_085054.jpg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  9. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I think TV Jones does not recommend splitting coils on Filter"Trons because they are too low output.

Dirtyblues likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.