Pickup magnets

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by Rik Marelli, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Rik Marelli

Rik Marelli Electromatic

May 20, 2021
    Devon
    Hi Folks,
    A bit of an odd one, is it possible for the pickups on my streamliner to magnetise my mechanical watch? I am left handed and my watch is hovering over the pickups when I play. They pick up the ticking on my quartz watch, which had me going for quite a while trying to find out what the ticking was. I wondered if anyone had the same experience.
    Cheers

new6659 and hcsterg like this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I’ve never given it much thought(my watch on my left) but it seems very possible. Funny!

Rik Marelli likes this.
  3. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Unlikely, but ... I wouldn't wanna try - demagnetizing a watch isn't half as much fun as it sounds...

Rik Marelli likes this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Nothing to do with magnets. A pickup is basically a crude microphone and watches make a ticking sound. Some louder than others.

Rik Marelli likes this.
  5. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    Yup, it will pick up the sounds
    As @Ricochet explained the, the pickups are crude microphones.
    Just play any music on your mobile n hold the phone (the speaker) facing any pickup, over the strings. The neck pickup works better. You will hear the music thru your amp.
    Doubt if the mechanical watch will be affected tho'.

Cheers and keep rocking!

Rik Marelli likes this.
  6. Rik Marelli

Rik Marelli Electromatic

May 20, 2021
    Devon
    I understand what you are saying but my quartz watch doesn’t make a sound, it is totally silent??

bhatta likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Maybe just put the watch in your pocket while you play . Would drive me nuts too . Just a thought :)

mr coffee and Rik Marelli like this.
  8. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Electromatic

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    it may be silent t to your ear, but it IS an electronic item and WILL produce an electric field, and your pickups will pick it up. :cool:

Rik Marelli likes this.
  9. Rik Marelli

Rik Marelli Electromatic

May 20, 2021
    Devon
    Thanks for your input guys, interesting topic. If I was right handed the subject wouldn’t have come up

bhatta likes this.
  10. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    Very interesting indeed @Rik Marelli

As @NowEarThis mentioned it will pick up the electrical interference.
    Also, if I am not mistaken, your watch has a seconds hand. The watches make a tick when the impulse is delivered.
    It may be quiet to you but not to the Gretsch :D

Just another thing that shows how sensitive are the equipments we use :cool:

Rik Marelli likes this.
  11. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Come on guys. It's mechanical, it's steel, it's moving through the pickup's magnetic field. I've also noticed that watches in close proximity to pickups tend to lose time. Pickups should not be microphonic to the degree that they'll pick up the SOUND of a watch. If you put the output of the guitar on an oscilloscope and test this, you'll probably see a neat little impulse for each tick, and I'd be surprised if it isn't fairly close to square. A phone speaker...works like a speaker. Any speaker with a traditional magnetic voice coil will be picked up by a pickup.

-m

Hammerhands and Rik Marelli like this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Watches? Who wears a watch anymore?
    I could see where an electronic watch might be able to send a signal thru the pickup. As others have said, the audio capabilities work like a microphone, so that's an obvious answer, too.
    Do you play right handed? Or do you wear your watch on your dominant hand?

13. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I got one of these for Christmas one year, you put your phone on top of it and it amplifies the speaker.

It doesn’t sound very good, but it sure is neat.

part# 80292287990
    [​IMG]

14. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Electronic or acoustic? They sell what amounts to be a megaphone "amplifier" for phones.
    Most Bluetooth speakers don't sound much better---and they're mono.

15. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes @Rik Marelli :

I am Lefty like you and had the same experience with all my Quartz watches : ticking at the 1Hz frequency (one tick per second) in the amp when the watch is close to the engaged PU.

For a time, when we played James Bond Theme, we opened the tune with a quite deep reverb on, and my watch ticking... And we waited complete silence in the public - with light show dimmed or Wood light only - to launch the intro of the JBT with the Brass section - full light on ! Huge surprising effect... :cool:

Concerning you mechanic watch, it can be a problem is you put the watch very close to the magnet of course.

But if it is a quality one, the usual position of the hand vs. the pickups will have little chances to magnetize your watch. My automatic Eterna Kon-Tiki 1958 (below) never suffered of that - at least.

upload_2021-7-21_19-57-51.png

If you are in doubt about a problem, you can ask a watch service station (or even some jewellers) to demagnetize the watch and have it set up by the occasion (using an oscillo-meter to count the number of BPH beets per hour).

A+!

JeffreyLeePierre and new6659 like this.
  16. Rik Marelli

Rik Marelli Electromatic

May 20, 2021
    Devon
    Great, exactly my experience with my cwc g10 quartz. Good info, thanks

17. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    upload_2021-7-21_20-30-3.png

I do! The same one since 1995, only interrupted when one of us is being repaired.

And ... these, for sure, will not work proper after being exposed to a magnetic field. Never do that to any mechanical watch - regret ahead.

thunder58, new6659 and wabash slim like this.
  18. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    I think lots of people do. There's something to be said for not having to pull your phone out of your pocket or wherever else you carry it just to see what time it is. That, and there are some pretty cool watches out there, some even fashionable if one cares about such things. I've got a drawer full of them...the Garmin Instinct is pretty cool, it has all sorts of features including fairly accurate GPS. When we encountered a hiker in distress, we used it to track his heart rate while we helped with getting him cooled, hydrated and calmed. The Luminox has a tritium dial, I can see it in total darkness and it never needs to be "recharged" by bright light. The titanium ProTrek is so light, you'd hardly notice it on your wrist. The Seiko is a little dressier. The Timex is cheap enough that if it gets lost or damaged, no real biggie.

Should we start a "Show us your watches" thread?

-m

thunder58 likes this.
  19. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    It’s electonic.

wabash slim likes this.
  20. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    I use a watch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.