Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Pickup Electrical Wires

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Strummer George, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Strummer George

Strummer George Gretschie

Dec 31, 2016
    West Coast
    I am planning on switching pickups. Do Dynasonics and Filtertrons have the same number of electrical wires?

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Gretschie

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    It totally depends on which Filters. Dynas are single coils and will have two leads. Filters can have 4-wire leads to allow options such as series/parallel switching, but often are prewired in series and have only 2 leads.

Strummer George likes this.
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes. The standard Gretsch HS FT and BT FT have a shielded cable : 1 hot wire and the shield.

A+!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Strummer George

Dec 31, 2016
    West Coast
    The Filtertrons are Gretsch Filtertrons with "U.S. PAT. 2892371" stamped on them.

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    As hcsterg said, Gretsch pickups will have two, the shield and center lead. TV Jones will vary by model. Classics usually come with 3, the shield, a black lead, and a white--to reverse wind direction. Others have more (4 conductor) but I'm not as familiar. The patent number covers typically corresponds with a Gretsch pickup, but note that some pickups made by TVJ have other stamps on them, IIRC, PAF or the Patent Number--someone else can verify for sure.

7. Strummer George

Dec 31, 2016
    West Coast
    Thank you for this info. So, I presume that when I disconnect my Gretsch Filtertron humbuckers they will have 2 wires that I would simply attach to 2 similar wires on the Gretsch Dynasonics?

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Presumably, yes. You might have issues with phase--but with two Gretsch brand pickups I don't think it's likely. I did have issues with a H-S situation, but I could swap phase easily since I had a 3-wire Classic+. You'll have to do some pickup surgery if you have the same problem.

9. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Had a TV Classic at neck and replaced the Classic in bridge with HS Filter. ..phase issues due to how each company winds their pickups. Fixed it by flipping the magnet in my HS because simply reversing the wires on the pots didn't do it and I wasn't about to try reversing it at coil. The magnet flip was easier for me. If you're have two Gretsch pickups you should have no problem.

10. Strummer George

Dec 31, 2016
    West Coast
    If I switch, I will probably stick with Gretsch pickups - the Dynasonics sure are expensive!

11. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Interesting tip - thank to remind it to us !

A+!

12. MikeSchindler

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    No problem...a lot of trial and error and good info from fellow tech people...the hardest part was to un solder the plate from the bottom of the HS..you got to soften it with the iron then quickly slice it with a razor blade so it separates from the pickup. Then you take the cover off gently. Next unscrew the pickup screws until they are up pretty far ..next magnet...you have to be able to pull it out..the wax may hold it in there pretty snug so you have to work it ...BE CAREFUL not to disconnect the leads from the coil..it's very sensitive...just pull the magnet out and rotate it 180 degrees...but not sideways..over the top...slide back in..screw the poles down..solder the cover back on using the remaining solder...should be good...again this is for out of phase if you happen to have a TV Jones Filter and want to use an HS to go with it. Both wire their pickups differently. When I simply tried to just reverse the leads at the pot..it sounded in phase but would give me a hacksaw buzzing when I touched the neck pickup. When I flipped the magnet it was in phase and the buzzing was gone.

13. Strummer George

Dec 31, 2016
    West Coast
    Hope I don't have to do that! :)

14. MikeSchindler

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Yea...just stick with one manufacturer you should be good.

15. Strummer George

Dec 31, 2016
    West Coast
    Sounds like good advice - thanks!

16. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, thanks MikeSchindler for the procedure...

A+!