Pickup cover hole alignment

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by TubeLife, Mar 26, 2021.

1. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    I had some old Ibanez humbuckers laying around and so I removed the covers, and put them on some Seymour Duncan 59’s. I like the look of the covers for what I’m looking to do but ran into a snag.....
    The bridge screws and holes line up fine. But how much will the misalignment below mess with the tone, if any with the neck pickup?

I can purchase new covers if need be....Any info appreciated!!

6BBCECE6-83F3-4C38-922E-0ECD924FB242.jpeg

2. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    At a glance, I'd say it looks like the cover is for an F-spaced pup, and the '59 in question is not F-spaced. I don't believe it would affect the tone, not in any appreciable way.

-m

Jeff67 and TubeLife like this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Apart from driving my OCD insane the adjustable pole pieces are there to adjust the volume balance between strings. If it’s close enough for you I can’t say.

Back in Black and TubeLife like this.
  4. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    I jammed a Gretschbucker into a differently spaced cover, tone seems just fine to mee. Looks a bit odd close up, but who will notice anyway?

TubeLife likes this.
  5. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Exactly what I thought, too.

mr coffee and TubeLife like this.
  6. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Thanks for all the replies. I do have OCD with things like this so I may order one new cover.

Also, the adjustable screws are lower or further away from the holes than the screws on the pickups that were originally in them. Do I need to raise the 59’s screws?

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Is there a difference between bridge and neck pickup sscrew pacing on those? Are both covers the same or slightly different? Do the covers have identical spacing, or are they slightly different?
    Seems like Ibanez and Duncan used different measurements.

8. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    There are two industry standards for humbucker pole spacing, one is the narrower Gibson style spacing, which is usually what you get if it's not specified otherwise. The other is called F-spaced, it's wider spacing suitable for Fender string spacing or guitars equipped with a Floyd Rose or similar. There are more detailed explanations out there, Google is your friend if you want, but that's the short version. Most manufacturers, including DiMarzio, Duncan and all the OEMs, build pups to both specs.

-m

wabash slim likes this.
  9. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Thanks again for all who chimed in. Purchased a Proline made set of covers from GC and they fit the neck pup a lot better. Super stoked!!

D68A97B3-2CDF-4CD4-AD51-42F7FFC05321.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    capnhiho likes this.
  10. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Looks like a much closer match.

-m

capnhiho and TubeLife like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.