Pickup closest to Rickenbacker Hi-Gain?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by YouFellowRebels, Jul 16, 2020.

1. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    I’m sure this has been discussed, but I searched and googled and couldn’t find a whole lot.
    Assuming the Hi-Gains are a low output ballpark P90 style, and we all know they sound different with the classic jangle. Part of that being construction of the guitar. What Gretsch style pickup gets in the neighborhood?
    My assumption was Hilo-Trons, but would a Dyna be closer? Not that I will ever find a set, but does a Super Hilo-Tron sound closer?
    I’d love to hear the Gretsch experts “chime” in. Universal mount a plus, but I’m sure anything could be modified to work.

2. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    I have a 5622 center block, 2nd version with f-holes. It has the pair of Super Hilos, whereas the 5620 has Super neck and Blacktop bridge. It is a most amazing guitar in every way, for me.

I too am after that Rick style chime, or something of the sort (more Smiths/REM than Byrds). I use a chorus (just a touch) and reverb and am very pleased with the results, though it is not extreme chime, but it's in the neighborhood.

Certainly as compared to my dual blacktop equipped 5436, which has far less chime.

Other more experienced folks will hopefully extend the convo here.

drmilktruck likes this.
  3. YouFellowRebels

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    Sounds nice! I would be in the same group. REM type tones or Tom Petty. The later hi-gain users, 80s Ric sound. I have my 620, and I don’t plan for a Gretsch to sound the same...just similar and ballpark output would be nice.
    Hardest part is I’ll never find the Super Hilo anywhere it seems, but I’ll have to keep watching.
    Hoping to sell an old SM54 I don’t use and pick up at least a bridge pickup if not both of something ballpark.

mrcoffee23 likes this.
  4. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I haven't tried hi-gains outside of a Ric, but I'm fairly convinced a lot of the tone is in fact coming from the combo of the bridge & the reverse thinline/neck through construction you're generally going to find paired up w/ them in Ric-land. That's been my feeling anyway.

Closest I've tried in Gretsches is indeed the TVJ Supers in a CB model but it's not all that close to me. Just my .02, YMMV, etc.

5. YouFellowRebels

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    Super-Tron in your opinion? Again not aiming to replicate, just general output and close in tone would be mice. Still Gretsch but just more similar.

6. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    It's probably the closest of what I've tried, but that's far from every Gretsch type pickup. The SuperTrons have sounded fairly different in different kinds of Gretsches to me too, but that's true of many pickups I think.

YouFellowRebels likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.