Pickup change on G5122

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by gcbruce, Aug 20, 2021.

1. gcbruce

gcbruce Electromatic

Jan 13, 2012
    grove city, PA
    Is there a kit made by either Gretsch or TV Jones to change the pickups (humbucking style) on my G5122 to a set of front and rear Gretsch Filtertrons ?

2. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I don't know about your particular model but TVJ does sell pre-wired harnesses for certain guitars. They also have their flavors of filtertrons, and whatever adapters you might need to fit them to your instrument.

3. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    TV Jones are fantastic pickups but too pricey for some of us.

Angela sells new Gretsch Blacktop Filtertrons (made in Korea, used on the G5400 series) for $32 each. They come with the mounting ring and screws but I don't know how easily they will replace those on your G5122.

Angela Instruments LLC - Gretsch and Bigsby Parts - Page 2

They might install easily and only need soldering a few wires. No one makes a kit but swapping pickups is not hard and probably worth learning how to do.
    Or I don't think most techs would charge a lot to change a pair?

4. gcbruce

gcbruce Electromatic

Jan 13, 2012
    grove city, PA
    I already have the Gretsch Filtertrons to install. Here's the real problems. I have changed humbuckers out before without problem. But these pickups on my 5122 are wider than the filtertrons and also deeper into the cavity. I could probably overcome that part. But the screw system is totally differernt -- 3 screws on the Gretsch Humbuckers and 4 screws in the Filtertrons. Arghhh! If you have ever tried to contact TV Jones about anything, they are impossible to get a hold of. Even my Gretsch dealer can't directly speak to anyone in chage, at TV Jones. I heard years ago that they made a conversion kit with risers and surrounds, but I can't say for sure.

5. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    I have a 5122 and have adjusted the pole pieces on the "Gretsch-buckers" to where they are suitable and sound okay. I use a Boss Katana Artist for an amp, and went through BTS (Boss Tone Studio) from the App and USB cable, and made further Parametric EQ adjustments. Now my 5122 sounds great with no pickup change. Now, okay, okay, if I pick up my Strat, I simply dial back the tone knobs a hair, as it's a bit on the bright side, but still sounds great.

6. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    I talked with a gentleman (can't remember name) at TVJOnes last week. First I called and got a recording. Later in the day I called and got an individual. He was very nice and direct so I ordered a pair of humbucker sized Filtertrons even though I preferred the look of an HS Filtertron but I can use the existing surrounds, pickguard and it will not require any drilling or filling. I will learn to deal with the look (I hope).

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Note that the Philly brass adapters do not fit TVJ mounting screw widths, they'll bend a little. Cut them in half though, and it's pretty much good to go.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.