Pickguard upgrade on a G5125

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by SuperB23, Apr 6, 2013.

1. SuperB23

SuperB23 Gretschie

Jan 5, 2009
    Bay Area California
    I just bought a G5125 and I want to replace the black pickguard with a standard Silver Gretsch one. I'm curious does any one know can I use the regular Japan made Gretsch pickguard like a Setzer Hot Rod one? Will it work with the pickups? Should I get one of the cheaper 5120 ones instead?

2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Hi SuperB23, I did the same with both my 5125 and my 5129. A 5120 pickguard does not fit as the DeArmonds in the 5125 are a different size from the Gretschyuckers in the 5120. I picked up these two Silver Falcon pickguards from Class Axe in Kemptville, Ontario for a whopping $20 each, regular OMG!! They do mail order too.

Apparently a couple of years ago they had a customer order a Silver Falcon pickguard for his guitar and the supplier sent them five. They still have two more.

The pickup size and spacing is perfect but you have to drill a hole in the pickguard (or the guitar) to accommodate the different mount spacing. I chose to drill the hole in the pickguard and then put a tiny screw through the other hole so it looks like it has two screws up front.

Works perfectly and was easy to do. Class Axe information is HERE:

http://www.classaxe.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=133&Itemid=429

Talk to Bob or Shamus.

Attached Files:

3. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    If, for some reason, Tony's source no longer has these pickguards in stock, you can get any pickguard you can imagine made custom for you by forum member Paul Setzer (screen name "Setzer").
    He has made countless guards and decals for members and his work is impeccable.

4. barosborough

barosborough Gretschie

Mar 22, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I'd go no pickguard but that's just me. With that said if you must have one I'm with Crooner have Paul Setzer make you one. He made me a custom Pro Jet (with HS Filtertrons) guard and it is fantastic. Pauls often busy so it may take a while but well worth the wait for the quality.

BTW - Please post a picture your 5125 with the B6-CBVF when you get it on.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Paul Setzer is the answer to all your pickguard needs. None better.

6. SuperB23

SuperB23 Gretschie

Jan 5, 2009
    Bay Area California
    Thanks for the link Tony. One of those Silver Falcon Pickguards would be great. Im familiar with Paul Setzer's work. I had him make some Falcon Decals for me for a White G5120 that I modded a while back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.