Pickguard Mod Question

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by tmcq65, Dec 5, 2021.

1. tmcq65

tmcq65 Electromatic

Nov 10, 2021
    Pennsylvania
    Can someone help me out? I want to buy a clear pickguard for my G2420T - and I found one for a 5120/5420 that shows a measured drawing, and it appears to be compatible - except for how my pickguard mounts flat on the guitar top surface and wraps around the pickup rings, and the 5420's pickguard rests on top of the pickup rings:
    2420 Pickguard smaller.jpg 5420 Pickguard smaller.jpg

(sorry - not the clearest pic of my 2420T - Black pickup rings and black pickguard - hard to see the edges)

Is there a thick felt pad on the 5420 , or some other kind of standoff that allows the pickguard to be fastened so it floats above the top of the guitar and rests flat on the pickup rings? (Mine has a very thin felt pad - just to protect the surface.)

2. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Try Quickguards. You will get a perfect fit.

Mr Twangy likes this.
  3. tmcq65

tmcq65 Electromatic

Nov 10, 2021
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you, but perhaps I didn't state my question right. I have a source, and dimensions indicate it will fit. My question is about how it mounts. I only have my Streamliner - no idea how it mounts on a 5120 or a 5420....was hoping to hear from someone with one of those - or who knows how that works. Is there a spacer between the guitar top and the pickguard to allow it to rest on top of the pickup rings?

4. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    The 5420 guard is held off the body by the metal L bracket in the middle and by a thick rubber washer that is located on the upper mounting screw between the guard and body.

Gregor and tmcq65 like this.
  5. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Many Gretsch models come with a clear pickguard, they are painted on the bottom and you can strip the paint off. I don't know about the 2420.

6. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I don't think a 5420 pickguard will fit a 2420. The 5420 pickguard hugs the contours of the Blacktop Filtertron pickups. Those pickups are smaller than the Broadtron pickups on your 2420. Even if you mount a 5420 pickguard to sit on top of your pickguard rings, the pickguard still won't fit your larger pickups. You'd need to widen the cutouts on the 5420 pickguard to fit around your pickups. I'd second the recommendation to order a pickguard from Quickguards to fit your guitar.

Alternatively, you could replace your stock pickups with a set of Blacktop Filtertrons, which would be a nice upgrade but perhaps a rather extreme way to go about replacing your pickguard. :D

7. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    As @radd said, the short answer is "yes". A rubber washer, or piece of rubber/plastic hose cut to length. Clear plastic won't show as much with a clear pickguard. I have seen felt used as well, just about anything the right thickness that won't rattle...

I'm not sure about the size of the pickguard cut-outs fitting around your pickups. If the cut outs are too small its not impossible to file or sand to fit - then polish with a very fine grit. The edges around the pickups don't show really anyway so finish is up to your taste.

Have fun :D

8. tmcq65

tmcq65 Electromatic

Nov 10, 2021
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks! Exactly what I needed and expected was the case.

And thanks everyone! The profile is not a problem - by the measurements provided that will be fine...and even if I would have to, I don't mind opening the pickup cutouts a bit. My main concern was that mounting method.

section2 likes this.
  9. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Synchromatic

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    I am not sure how close the 2622 and your 2420 are but FWIW I bought a clear pick guard from mLaval on Reverb that was listed for use on a G5120/G5420T. I did have to cut/trim the part that goes around the pickups. I bought a small nylon washer at my local hardware store for the front screw. I am very easy on pickguards so I don't know the long term wearability on the one. If you don't want to go the modify-it-yourself route Quickguards sounds like a good way to go.

Attached Files:

10. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

Same for the 5120.

radd likes this.
  11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Pretty sure the 2420 pickguard is on a bracket too, not flush with the (arched) body, no?

12. tmcq65

tmcq65 Electromatic

Nov 10, 2021
    Pennsylvania
    Yes...the corner near the neck cutout is flush and the edge that hugs the pickup rings is flush, but from there it rises onto a bracket.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.