Picked up this Gibson LP

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by BarryMClark, May 2, 2021.

1. BarryMClark

BarryMClark Country Gent

Apr 4, 2011
    Atlanta
    Needs a setup (appt on May 8th for that) but so far really digging it.

20210501_125722.jpg

2. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Congrats!

BarryMClark likes this.
  3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Nice looking LP! Congrats!

BarryMClark likes this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Sweet Barry . Congratulations

BarryMClark likes this.
  5. BarryMClark

BarryMClark Country Gent

Apr 4, 2011
    Atlanta
    Thanks all!

thunder58 likes this.
  6. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Congrats. It looks great. Do you know which color that is?

BarryMClark likes this.
  7. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Very cool Barry.....is it an LP Classic? It looks great and feel the honeymoon with my '14 LP Traditional is still going strong so hope you like yours just as much.

BarryMClark likes this.
  8. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Gibson used to include a setup with such purchases. Are you getting that?

BarryMClark likes this.
  9. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Eye candy, congrats!

BarryMClark likes this.
  10. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Congrats. GOOD looker.

Enjoy

BarryMClark likes this.
  11. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

A beauty! Is the fingerboard ebony? It is so dark.

BarryMClark likes this.
  12. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Beautiful! Pelham Blue?
    I’m considering my first LP right now. Would love any details, first impressions, etc. that you are willing to share. Congrats!

BarryMClark likes this.
  13. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, nice colour!

BarryMClark likes this.
  14. BarryMClark

BarryMClark Country Gent

Apr 4, 2011
    Atlanta
    Thanks! It's called Faded Pelham Blue.

This is the LP Modern. So far, even without a setup "to my liking" it is a very, very good sounding guitar. Even before I got it, I knew I wanted to change the clear knobs out for something with more black in it to contrast with the body. That's no doubt what is throwing you off. :) ...it was at that point that I recalled the ES/SG style knobs that were black tophats with a silver insert. Seems that supply is slim everywhere so I had to do some serious searching to dig a set up. I swear I bought the last new set in North America. lol. The poker chip went on, too. Love the look of it. :)

Setups, IMO, are super subjective. I know they go through a PLEK process at the factory but I am taking it up to a shop locally to have set more to my tastes. Low action, angel-hair strings, minimal neck relief.

Thanks!

Thanks! I am so far!

It is! The fretboard and Gibson logo inlays are real MOP, too!

Thank you! When I was looking at the Gibson LP Modern, I normally would have reached for the black or like-black finish of the Graphite. ...but, with the passing of my 7 year old nephew, his favorite color being blue, had this one appealing to me. What drove me nuts was that every picture I found had the finish looking drastically different. Sometimes it was more blue. Sometimes more green. ...other times it even looked gray! lol. I am color blind so I had my wife look at all the pictures and she assured me that the blue is the main color here. When it came in and I opened the case, I was astonished at the finish. It was all of those colors. lol. It appeared to be blue, green, and gray all at the same time. Such a rich, rich color. ...even to these color blind eyes. (I struggle with shades of colors).

NJDevil, Archtops and Ricochet like this.
  15. BarryMClark

BarryMClark Country Gent

Apr 4, 2011
    Atlanta
    It is Pelham Blue! Faded Pelham Blue to be exact.

It is the Les Paul Modern model.

The appeal to me is that it is almost like the Gibson Les Paul version of my Fender American Ultra Telecaster which I just ADORE.

Locking tuners (like the Ultra Tele)
    Conical - AKA Compound - Radius fretboard (like the Ultra Tele)
    Improved access at the heel (like the Ultra Tele)
    Slimmer, more modern neck profile (like the Ultra Tele)
    Electronic Bag of Tricks for Days (like the Ultra Tele)
    AMAZING finish (like the Ultra Tele Texas Tea is...but this one is blue)

The electronics fun with this one is that both volume knobs are push/pull for coil-taps, the neck tone is push/pull for phase, and the bridge tone is push/pull for bypass. The bypass, no matter what your toggle is set to, has your bridge go right to your jack.

The coil-tap is put out by Gibson as a P90 sound. To my ears, it is just a lower output humbucker sound. ...which, I guess, kinda gets into the territory... of sorts. Sounds good either way. ...and still humbucking. ...which is awesome for me.

I tend to buy from Sweetwater because they at least act like they respect the instruments they sell. ...I got this from Guitar Center online. ...so my expectations were much, much lower. ....but if it came in neglected but workable, then we'd call it good. I'd do a setup to my liking anyways.

It came in and I opened the case. Yep... it's from Guitar Center. The claim that the guy on the phone told me that their online order guitars stay unopened in their box is obviously not true. This didn't come in the Gibson boxes I know they ship in. ...and, when I opened the case, it appeared as though someone had either been playing slide on it with deep fried chicken wings or was using it to set their Philly cheesesteak on. Just... ALL goobered up. ...but, par for the course with Guitar Center.

The nut was just "notched" so the strings sit very high at the nut. I'd much rather that be the case than it being cut too low.

...but, once I got a few minutes on it to normalize myself to it, it SANG. I mean... it SANG.

I have seen a lot of heartburn online about the Burstbucker Pro Rhythm and Burstbucker Pro Lead + pickups. ...much like the Ultra Noiseless pickups on the Ulra Tele, I just don't get the fuss. They sound fantastic. They are tight. Articulate. I see zero need to change them. I actually really like them.

I am taking it up to Righteous Guitars this saturday for it to be setup to my liking with 8.5 gauge strings. ...yes, i play crazy light strings. lol. 8's on the 25.5" scales and 8.5's on the 24.75" scales. Not as light as Billy Gibbons, but pretty light. It's definitely pricey but I am very happy with what I got.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  16. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats and HNGD, Barry. Great looking LP.

BarryMClark likes this.
  17. BarryMClark

BarryMClark Country Gent

Apr 4, 2011
    Atlanta
    Thank you! I have owned an SG before. ...this was over 20 years ago. ... but this is the first LP. I don't believe I have ever owned even an LP shaped guitar. Before I owned my Tele Ulta, the only tele I ever owned was a parts tele that I really just used to be a mad scientist with. lol. In both cases, I have been just beside myself happy with how it they have worked out. The Tele I have owned for about 7 or 8 months and love it more today than the day I got it. The LP is too new. ...but so far, like the Tele, I am really finding the voice of it rather quickly.

Edit: I have apparently owned too many guitars that I don't remember all of them immediately. I have owned a Les Paul shaped LTD previously. So, the above statement to the contrary was incorrect. :)

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  18. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Synchromatic

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Nice!
    Since I got my LP Custom almost 20 years ago, it's been my go to guitar.

BarryMClark likes this.
  19. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    GREAT color!

BarryMClark likes this.
  20. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Thanks for all the details man. Much appreciated.
    I read in your other post about choosing the color in tribute to your nephew. Now you'll remember him every time you reach for the guitar. That's really cool. Great color. I haven't seen one in person but your photo actually looks better than what I've seen online thus far. I've been curious about the color since I saw the SGs they're making with it.
    So...if you had to pick - would you take your new Tele or your new LP?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.