Physcological Guitar Problems

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Mr Swisher, Sep 19, 2021.

1. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Synchromatic

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    A slight variant here. I'm that way with household repairs; I'll notice every crack or brush stroke. Granted, I don't always do anything about it as my OCD has to be regulated somehow. :D

As for guitars, I end up with an emotional attachment to them. I have a Yamaha RS820CR I am thinking of selling. Nice guitar but I don't play it much. However, it was a sweet gift from my wife so... its hard to let it go. I have a friend who is professional musician that says he never gets emotional about his instruments. To him the are just tools with some better than others.

Mr Swisher likes this.
  2. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Sort of.
    Back in 98 when i bought my first Japanese Gretsch,a Country Classic I,i never noticed anything until a number of weeks after,but when i saw it i couldn't un-see it!
    The bridge pickup was a few mm off compared to the neck pickup. I use to just stare at that even though the guitar was a lovely playing and sounding guitar.I sold it after just 2 years ,but i needed the money for my aul 50s Gent so...

Just this year i bought a used Tenny and again i never noticed anything until months later,but the neck looks like it has a bit of a twist,i can't even bring myself to look at the truss rod at the moment.
    I feel disappointed and embarrassed in myself for not catching this when i first received it back in March.:oops:

It does play nice enough though..but i just stare at that neck every time i bring it out of the case.

Archtops, new6659, Stefan87 and 2 others like this.
  3. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I bought a white whale guitar for me at the time. A white Schecter V-1 Blackjack. I had wanted it soooooo bad. Finally found one that went on sale via ebay and got it for a great price.
    I opened up the case and a waft of cigarette smoke hit me in the face. It smelled SO. BAD. I cleaned it up and the case till it didn't have a smell anymore. My friends and wife said there was no smell.
    However, EVERY TIME i picked it up, it was all I could smell. So I sold it off to Guitar Center as used. Took a $25 loss.

4. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Red guitars…I can’t even.

Craig Encinitas and Mr Swisher like this.
  5. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I can well beleive this. My Eastman T64/V is simply sensational, in every way, except their is Varnish blobs in two places over the F hole binding. Yet the guitar is so good, this cosmetic issue isn't bothering me at all... yet. Again I missed this when I bought it from the shop. My bad.

This is exactly how I felt about the 335. I guess the guitar was constantly reminding me of my stuppidity.

JC higgy likes this.
  6. toddfan

toddfan Country Gent

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    This is why I shy away from any guitar with gold hardware...it just discolors way too quickly and easily and I know it would bum me out.

Craig Encinitas and Groutsch like this.
  7. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Oh man, I hear you!
    That’s one of the reasons why strats are a nonstarter for me! Teles are a little nore forgiving. I guess it’s a combination of the shape and surface area.
    I have found that a White Falcon is large enough to hide behind!
    I’ve actually lost a lot of LBS this year, and now the guitar looks even bigger! Haha

Archtops, stiv, G5422T and 1 other person like this.
  8. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I totally get it. My sole reason for selling my 125th 6118 was because the neck heal developed a small gap in the finish at the joint. The neck felt solid and it stayed in tune. But I could never get over if it would need a neck reset at some point. So “sold” it went. Even though I took a hit in the resale it’s a relief she’s gone. It was on my mind whenever I looked at it so I couldn’t enjoy her anymore. ‘‘Twas a shame though, that soft V neck was the most comfortable neck I’ve ever played.

Mr Swisher and G5422T like this.
  9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Easy. Take a screwdriver and put a small ding behind the headstock and put your fears behind you!:D

I am the same way with new guitars, dreading the first ding but then relieved when it happebs.

Stefan87 and Mr Swisher like this.
  10. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    A good luthier should be able to fix that in a couple minutes, no? Mine satin'd my neck in the 5 minutes it took me to drive to his shop.

Mr Swisher likes this.
  11. afire

afire Country Gent

For me, it can't wear out too quickly. I think gold hardware looks its best after the shine is gone.

dougmon, drmilktruck and G5422T like this.
  12. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Yeah quite possibly. It's literally where the hand-rubbed Varnish has overspilt.

13. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    Man, we are a picky bunch! I have a few guitars are that have been played hard for many years and they show it. I have a few that I am nicer too, but not overly OCD about them. And then I have a bunch of players that are somewhere in the middle. Dang it, they were Made to be Played!

Archtops likes this.
  14. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    My Black Texas-made Charvelle from the 80’s was a victim of my brass-pick +heavy drinking days in bands, THAT will get you right over the worry of a few dings or scratches. Still own it and love it, gouges and all! E767CD73-A84C-4AEB-8F78-4985FCC8B15F.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  15. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    lol that's not too bad all things considered I think, yes if I had a black guitar that looked like that then yeah would not be worried at all, maybe I need to buy a 'reliced' black guitar next time.

Mr Swisher and gtttrrr like this.
  16. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Buzz Feiten tuning. I only had one guitar that employed it (Washburn), but the headach that it started remains. You needed a special tuner, and had to constantly check the user's manual in order to set the intonation. Never again.

Mr Swisher likes this.
  17. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Well.. my incoming NGD, to replace my 335 that started this thread, has just gone south in a hurry.

I'd paid to have it set up and Plek'd before shipping. I wanted it perfect. The luthier at the shop called to say that on inspection, prior to the Plek, the frets were so bad, and so many were lifting, that it needed to go back to Gibson. They have no more in stock, and no guarenteed delivery date, so they are giving me a refund.

18. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Well that's disappointing to hear Mr S.

Mr Swisher likes this.
  19. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Yes.. I'm pleased they didn't try and force it into some kind of shippable condition.

As frustrating as it is to now not have a NGD coming.. it's better than having a terrible experience. Plus I still had the buzz of placing the order :D

JC higgy and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  20. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    Bummer! Glad they did you honest.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.