Physcological Guitar Problems

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Mr Swisher, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    About a year ago, after years of lusting, I bought a 335. Flamed cherry, from 2000. All very nice and I liked it, it sounded great.

After a month or so I decided to give it a set up, and suddenly realised I'd made a purchasing error. I checked everything when I bought it... except the truss rod. I kicked myself hard when I removed the cover during set up and saw it looked maxxed. It was seriously tough to get it to shift even a touch. I managed to get a little movement during the set up, restrung and carried on playing, and it was fine. Perfectly fine.

Thing is.. ever since that moment, every time I've picked it up I've thought about the truss rod.. every... single... time. I look at the guitar.. and the words TRUSS ROD appear in front of me. I just couldn't get it out of my head. It was playing great, and maybe would never be an issue.. but I couldn't get over it.

I finally quit trying and sold it - luckily getting out of it even. NGD now incoming this week.

Anyone else have any psychological guitar blockers you couldn't get past?

IMG_20210205_121934.jpg

2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I've told this story before. I had a guitar that remains the most expensive I've ever bought. I was taking it off one day and while lifting the strap over my head, the guitar hit the spinning ceiling fan. Luckily it wasn't damaged but from then on I was worried I would damage it and it'd lose its value. While that wasn't the only reason I sold it was the major one. A member here reaped the benefit of my fear.

Craig Encinitas and Mr Swisher like this.
  3. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Totally understand what you are saying and I am the same with a lot of things too.

for me it's black guitars, I'm very particular with scratches and all that stuff and being the colour it just shows everything, every imperfection, I know it's a trivial thing but I just can't bring my self to play them much as I just don't want to put a scratch on them, because of this I recently sold a guitar I had for almost 20 years but barely played it.

I will be honest and I struggle with my black penguin, as much as I love the thing I go back and forth with my self all the time about selling it or just stop being so pedantic and just play it.

4. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Only when I play other people's guitars.
    I absolutely don't care about mine. I got scars, so can they.

5. L Robbins

L Robbins Gretschie

May 3, 2017
    USA

6. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    I guess I’m the type of guy that will step over the gate to save the hinges. So I know what you mean as long as it doesn’t make you trip. Pun intended.

7. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I hear ya. Had that issue with the Phoenix at first. It'll show every scratch and swirl marks from just wiping it down.

Finally said to heck with it and started setting it up. Bone nut, bar bridge, DE handle, got the Filter heights and pole pieces set.

Play it almost daily, it's that good.

It's a player now, and looks it too. Guess that the inspiration playing it, out weighs the easy to see play wear on black.

Just play it.

8. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yeah I am working my way up to that point as I just can't seem to bring my self to sell it.

I figure if I change the Dynas out in the white one then the black one will be the only ones with them in it ad I do like the sound of them, so I will be kinda forcing me to play it lol.

I will say that once something has a little bit of wear on it then I relax a lot with that whole 'keep like new' way of thinking.

Mr Swisher and G5422T like this.
  9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I have a Tokai Tele style guitar and it’s terrible in most every way except the neck is pretty nice. But it was $199 and I couldn’t resist. I finally decided to put Bill Lawrence pickups in it and a Callahan bridge. Leveled / crowned / polished the frets, aligned the neck better in the pocket and now it plays great and sounds killer. However, I can’t get past the crappy body. I’m going to get a Warmoth body for it. I can’t get over the poor build quality of it. So yea, I kind of get it.

Craig Encinitas and Mr Swisher like this.
  10. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I get this totally. I think the value of my 335 was a major factor, and in fact I was really seeing "£2500 blown" when I was constantly thinking "truss rod".

Like you, the fear of losing the value was too much to get over.

Craig Encinitas and drmilktruck like this.
  11. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I get this. I’ve been there is some form or another.

Mr Swisher likes this.
  12. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    As Stevo mentioned, I can't get past lapses in basic build quality. It's 2021 and machines cut and drill the wood, there is no place or reason for things that don't fit together well or are drilled off center even in budget instruments. I'll just always look at it as junky and not want to mess with it.

The other is a higher-than-normal level of instability in the setup, which usually ends up being the neck. That just gets on a my nerves until I sell it.

Last is wet wood. If evidence of wet wood shows up, I won't go near it even if it plays and sounds fine.

I'm a particular mofo.

13. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    That's probably stupid more than psychological :) but... I'm not a big guy, but I'm chubby. Everytime I saw a pic of me on stage with a solid body guitar I felt it was horrible, with me so big and the guitar so tiny.
    That's the reason why I started playing hollow bodies guitars, because they were bigger and looked better on me nevermind the fact they sounded worse sometimes. I've had my share of great solid body guitars, but I played them live just for limited times (most of the time in studio) for this stupid reason.
    Oh, I said it.
    I feel better now. :D:D

Archtops, new6659, Groutsch and 6 others like this.
  14. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I totally understand being particular or caring about how a guitar looks on stage.

Irrational dislikes are also very interesting. When you can't actually put your finger on why you don't like it, you just don't.

Craig Encinitas and stiv like this.
  15. Craig Encinitas

Craig Encinitas Gretschie

May 3, 2021
    Encinitas, Ca
    Self-Diagnosis

I’m distracted by shiny objects.
    However long rookie-status lasts, who knows…but what I feared came true.

February of this year, my guitar journey began. I haven’t missed even one day of playing, good…right? But I’ve also not missed buying whatever contributes to this adventure.

-Four guitars
    -One amp
    -One pedal
    -Line 6 Pod Go
    -A dozen sets of various strings
    -Two slides
    -30 picks
    -Two scale books (finally something smart)
    -Mustang Micro amp
    -An iRig interface for the iPhone and guitar
    -Ultimate Guitar subscription
    -Only two cables
    -One capo
    -Two tuners
    -A setup kit (good buy)
    -An empty guitar bag from an acoustic I returned…so that needs filled eventually

I’ll stop at that. There’s probably more, and there will be more. Notice there’s been zero money spent on in-person lessons. o_O
    I’d have the same playing ability with only one guitar, but with new hobbies, my dollars just flow into them.

At least I’m better at playing today than when this all started. I’ve only jammed once with a friend who is also a newbie. So this is mainly a self-taught challenge…

Accepted!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  16. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Gretschie

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    I would have turned the truss rod the other direction and made that my designated slide guitar.

Buh das juss me.

Mr Swisher and Craig Encinitas like this.
  17. afire

afire Country Gent

Yep, and pretty much the same as yours. I had a beautiful 1964 Rickenbacker 1998. When I got it, it had a slight backbow with the truss rod completely loosened. I had a luthier do the heat treatment and that straightened out the neck. It played fine, but the truss rod was still all the way loose. While probably not the only reason I sold that guitar, it was definitely a big part of it. I couldn't stop thinking about the fact that it could bow again and the truss rod wouldn't be able to fix it.

18. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I had a beautiful Eastman t484, hand made quality guitar. The dot fret markers running down the face of the fingerboard were way out of alignment. I could not pick that guitar up with out noticing how the dots danced back and forth down that beautiful Ebony fingerboard.

I should have returned it when I got it but it played so nice I thought I could over look the issue…..Wrong…

I sold it and could not even bring myself to buy a replacement one.

drmilktruck likes this.
  19. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

I'm very anal about most things I own whether its cars, fishing rods, guitars, trailers or what have you. l once loaned a neighbour my new Troy tiller and he brought it back with the housing all marked up....I immediately replaced it.
    I bought a used Godin acoustic/electric guitar a while back which had a scratch on the front running parallel to the grain so it wasn't all that noticeable. Besides, when I played it my forearm covered it up. Sold it a year later as all I could see everytime was that darn scratch but that's just me.

drmilktruck likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.