Phone photo color?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Merc, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    As great as smartphone photos like from my iPhone are, the color of certain guitars and pedals seem a bit off at times. Anyone know a setting or way for it to capture more of the true color?

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Use a real camera. Phone cameras are a trade-off.

3. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Sorry, I think what you seek is impossible, but inxould be wrong. Compare pictures to guitars. Every picture is the result of lighting, the device, the program, the paper you print it on, etc. And of course the biological devices involved - 2 people do not see the same color the same way.

All cameras are real. Do you think every film camera printed in every photo printer looks the same? Of course not. Each camera will take different photos, and each printer will print the photos differently.

A while ago I came up with an idea that I think already existed. There should be a control color block on each picture. That color block should be standardized and one should be able to obtain official prints of it.

The idea is that every picture would have the color block tucked into the picture itself or somehow embedded. If you want to see how the pic compares to reality, you can pull out your color block and compare. Ideally, one could calibrate ones device (or pc/tv setup) to present the colors the same as the color block.

That way when you see a picture online, you might now that, e.g., your phone makes everyone a bit more blue, but your laptop is washed out, etc.

However, this only addresses how to present pictures, not how to take them.

4. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    My phone seems better actually. But that aside...I always send photos to my email and can mod them from that picture.

Merc likes this.
  5. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I guess if I see a picture and a guitar with the same eye I’d expect it to be the same. It seems like for the most part it captures the majority of things in the same color that I see them. It tends to be colored guitars and pedals that are off. Just weird and annoying to me that cars and everything else are accurate to my eye.

Henry likes this.
  6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Oh I understand, but my point is, I would bet that if you took the same picture with any other camera, good or bad film or digital, and printed it, put the print out next to the car, it would be a different hue.

What you can do is try to self color correct. Find the color controls and adjust them, in view of your guitar or car, until they match.

But, imo, this is like seeking "perfect intonation" - a snark hunt. If you change the lighting, then all those settings will be off. If you look at the picture on your PC instead of your phone, they will look different.

RomanS, Merc and MTurner like this.
  7. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin
    There are standards and one can purchase devices to calibrate the screen you are using but it would require everyone to do that in order to achieve uniformity. However, a decent photo editing program will allow you to adjust colors until your eye and the photo match. GIMP is a powerful and free one. I have an old copy of Photoshop Elements that I like. Still, lighting can goof me up. Sometimes I use a DSLR and sometimes my iPhone 8. Sometimes I futz around and other times it is 'close enough.'

Merc likes this.
  8. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    I think smartphone cameras can be generally lacking, but it depends on what phone you have. But one problem is that different screens can display colors slightly differently. It might not look right on one screen, but might look good on another screen. My laptop has a color sensor on it so that you can have it calibrate the screen colors so that photos look correct on it - but many devices don't have a way to calibrate the screen for accurate colors unless you buy a calibration device to plug into it.

Merc likes this.
  9. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    All the pics I post are taken with a LUMIX TZ-70 camera :

[​IMG]

I never could take serious pictures with a smartphone... :oops:

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

new6659, bhatta, Merc and 3 others like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Lighting and perception are the main worries. Remember the white/blue dress fiasco from a few years ago?

11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Lumix / Leica .....'nuff said ;)

Merc likes this.
  12. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    ? Are you talking about the Monica Lewinsky dress?

wabash slim likes this.
  13. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I must be really out of it as I have no idea what dress you’re talking about. Was this in Tabloid news? You’ve got me wondering now.

14. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    A while back (OK a couple of years) there was a meme on the internet asking if the pictured dress was white or blue. It depended on the lighting you saw it in.

If you guys put down the guitars once in awhile you'd be more aware of the things going on in the world around you.

15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Absolutely not. That borders on politics.

16. Likeabrave

Likeabrave Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Correct white balance is the key. I use a Galaxy Note 10+ with full manual camera control so WB adjustment is built in. I'm not sure if iOS provides this function but there are definitely 3rd party manual camera apps.

Merc likes this.
  17. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    The current IOS lets you edit the pics for color and brightness etc.

Merc likes this.
  18. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    lol... that’s the problem, I don’t waste my time with meme’s and junk news. However I likely follow more significant news of a certain topic than anyone here. But that’s not allowed for discussion on this site.

As politicalized and charged as the world seems to be today, I can see some might view that as such. But I simply viewed it as a piece of a history and no big deal to mention, it’s in the past and history. It’s actually the only dress I could remember that everyone might know well enough to have been mentioned. So your post left me a bit confused.

wabash slim likes this.
  19. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'm retired and house bound, so I have lots of free time.

I'm also quite confused usually.

Merc likes this.
  20. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Alas, my new-ish smartphone still wants my 5120 orange to be red, but it makes my Les Paul sunburst look just like a '59, which is cool but not accurate at all. It's not as yellow in the center of the burst...the guitar itself is faded, hardly any red (more of a light brown) and any yellow there was is now amber. Gibson's terms for 'tea burst' and 'bourbon burst' are not at all what I call the colors for tea and bourbon!! Therefore, I call mine a whiskey spill!!!
    I tried a test. I took my orange 5120 and placed a burnt-orange Gretsch t-shirt nearby to maybe force the smartphone camera to self-correct a bit. It did kinda actually work but not 100%. I put that same orange 5120 next to a rustoleum red-painted plastic chair...and it still came out as a red guitar.

Merc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.