Peter Noone, Herman's Hermits & The Gretsch Country Gentleman

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by ZackyDog, Sep 13, 2020.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  2. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    “... like a dead banjo.” :D

JC higgy and ZackyDog like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Great interview

mrfixitmi, Wjensen and ZackyDog like this.
  4. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cheers Zacky!

ZackyDog likes this.
  5. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Cheers, JC Higgy!

JC higgy likes this.
  6. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I seriously can’t stand that song .. or the faces he makes on the video.. I could never understand their appeal..

7. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    John Lennon called him Peter No One. Lennon could be harsh. :cool:

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  8. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Thanks for posting this. Brings back the time of watching this on a B&W TV.

Yep, I'm an old fart, and Herman was just a small part of a little thing going on with music at the time.

The British Invasion.

Most bands weren't on level with John and Paul on writing.

Most bands had a hit or two, traveled and did shows. Then, most went back to the reality of every day working a job to keep alive. Invasion Life was over.

There was something for everyone, from preteens on up.

One has to have really been growing up during this time, to understand it.

I was 10 in '63. What did I think about all these different bands and their different music?

I wanted to learn how to play a guitar, be under the lights on stage, playing a Gretsch througha Vox.

Then reality hit. The nun wacked my hands with her ruler, and told me to pay attention. Quit day dreaming was all that I heard. Lol

Today at 67, I still hear the "pay attention" all the time. Still day dreaming I guess, and the wife was trying to tell me something.

All's good. No ruler, selective hearing still works, and I enjoy my gear. No lights, no shows, and I lived to retirement anyway. Lol

9. flip

flip Electromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    If you're interested in this topic and haven't already read it already you might be interested in my post in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' part of 'Tennessean with dampers' which describes the banjo effect in the recording and indeed the genesis of the song itself.

The description 'a dead banjo' made me smile - if by 'dead' he means lacking sustain I thought that was generic amongst banjos.

mrfixitmi and sgarnett like this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    you and me both .........

G5422T and mrfixitmi like this.
  11. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    At times, my 2420 reminds me ever so slightly of a banjo. I do own two: one open-back Vega, and one Dixon with a bluegrass-style resonator. Unfortunately, I don’t play them - they were inherited. I suppose an open-back banjo with a traditional skin head can sound pretty dead or plinky in humid weather. Mine have synthetic heads, and don’t sound dead at all with their lively harmonics, but of course they still have that characteristic lack of sustain.

12. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    WOW!
    And all these years I thought it was palm muting.....

o_O

ZackyDog likes this.
  13. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I worked with Peter a few years ago and he was really entertaining. Even my elderly father thought he was great.
    He was very nice and professional to work with. I had a great time at that show.
    The photo was shot after the show by a friend. Peter & Tim.jpg
    Even though I did hang out with lots of the artists I worked for or played on the same bill with I rarely had photos taken with them. It was something I just didn't do - it was more private to me. On this day my band had just released a new CD and we were the warm up band and then afterwards I mixed monitors for Peter's band. He called me out on stage and complimented me on the good job I was doing saying "how well he could hear himself tonight". That was very nice and since he was one of my childhood heroes that made it a special moment for me...:).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    mrfixitmi and ZackyDog like this.
  14. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I tried to play that song palm muting and found out real quick that it couldn't be done that way. There is too much wrist movement required to play that guitar part correctly that forces your hand off the bridge. Once you use the guitar's mute you realize how much easier it is to play that part. I always loved that sound - a very tricky and tasteful guitar part. I have a Country Gent single cut away but it doesn't have the mute system. I know they could be a pain in the butt but I really wish I had one on my Gent so I could get that sound. The closest I can get to it is to stuff foam under the strings but that's even a bigger pain and I never seem to get it right. I do the foam mute thing on my Fender bass when I need that sound as well.
    Some Fender Jaguar guitars had that mute. I've considered having one installed on my Jazzmaster but it requires a lot of modification to get it to work right.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  15. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Count me in as #3.

G5422T and thunder58 like this.
  16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    No nuns, but I did attend St. Elizabeth's Catholic School in Wyckoff, NJ from 1970-1971. After a year, my mother got tired of ironing uniforms every night for 4 kids (our fifth sibling was too young at the time).

mrfixitmi, G5422T and thunder58 like this.
  17. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Freshman year in high school I had a crush on a girl who’s last name was Brown. I listened to this song a lot.

18. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I understand he’s a great guy but I can’t stands the song.. lol. Glad he’s doin well

mrfixitmi likes this.
  19. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    Back then 15 was not an unusually young age to be gigging. I met him briefly in Ormond Beach, Fl a gazillion years ago.

mrfixitmi, ZackyDog and radd like this.
  20. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    In the case of this song he was dead on...jmo...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.