Perfect Intonation? With a Bar? SerpenTune!

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by ToneM1, Aug 3, 2020.

1. ToneM1

ToneM1 Gretschie

Mar 10, 2009
    Northern L.A. County
    I bought one of Tim's Tru-Arc SerpenTune Brass bridges for my #6122 Gent that Curt brought back to life. WOW!! The guitar now plays in near perfect tune up and down the fretboard! I normally set intonation at the 5th & 17th frets. If you do Open & 12th, then above the 12th isn't nearly as accurate. This was a recommendation from Petersen Tuners and it's worked for me for years. Anyway, this bridge is amazing, the guitar sounds just incredible and I'm thrilled. Played Saturday afternoon up in the Mountains north of L.A. in a little village called Pine Mountain Club. I'm giggin' with Ron Coleman who was with The Everly Bros. for over 20 years and with Albert Lee. He's had a number of hits on his own as well as songs he's written with the guys from The Band & Dylan. We played out on the patio and should be much cooler at 6,000 ft. up than here where it was a balmy 107F yesterday. We've done this the last six Saturdays! Anyway, if you're using a Bar Bridge and have intonation & tuning issues, you owe it to yourself and your guitar to get one of these!

Trash Kidd, sgarnett, Marv666 and 6 others like this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm a huge fan of the Serpentune bridges. I have 12 of them, most in Titanium and some in Brass.

Waxhead likes this.
  3. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I have a SS true arc serpentine in my brown bear tele it’s a great bridge

4. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’m a big fan of Tru-arcs!
    I currently have them on two guitars.

5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Here's my bridge ...... enjoy :p

Tele295 and Waxhead like this.
  6. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I have one of these, too. On the 5420, in brass, so it would fit the gold plated stuff.

The accuracy of the intonation of course does rely on luck a bit if the position of the bridge is fixed, which mine is ... and different string gauges and so forth ... but, it is nearly as accurate as it was with the stock TOM - only the D string, above 12th fret, is a little bit off ... but when do I play above 12th on that string?

These bridges are among the best you can get - wouldn't want anything else.

7. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    The Surpentunes are all calibrated for an unwound G, correct?

8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    There are 2 versions available. You can order with either plain or wound-G compensation.

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  9. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Thanks!

audept likes this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've played acoustics for decades. They've all got that thin bar bridge, so perfect intonation isn't obviously that big of a deal for me.

Close enough for government work.

MTurner likes this.
  11. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    My favourite is the brass Serpentune. Tuning a guitar is really about evening out the out-of-tuneness so our ear doesn't notice quite as much. A compensated bridge, like the Serpentune, helps a lot and makes tuning easier, but even that isn't perfect. Using an uncompensated bar bridge can also yield reasonably good tuning, but it requires more attention and time when tuning up.

Another advantage of the Serpentune over a standard bar bridge is the smaller area of contact with the strings. The longer string slot on the bar bridge can cause notes to dampen when bending strings in the upper register.

Tele295 and audept like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.