Perfect 2nd guitar to compliment Gretsch

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by tim73, Feb 17, 2015.

1. I have a Gibson es 125tc modded to a tdc. The p 90's have a distinct sound. To round out the trio of hollow bodies I have a 60 hofner president that has Gibson classics in it. To me that is the three flavors of hollow bodies. Add the strat into the mix, and I should have all bass's covered. I mention this as the OP could easily find a used older arch top ( like the hofner) and make a few
    Changes if needed and get their unique missing sound. The hofner was not expensive compared to the hotrod or the Gibson , even though I got it at a great price. The hofner looks cool. Wanted to get it painted but lack of
    Money and common sense prevailed.

2. wilblee

wilblee Country Gent

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    This is what I'd do, too.

OTOH, if it's gotta be an additional guitar, I'd look at either the PRS Starla S2 or the PRS Starla X. Either would be a great guitar and give you a different, yet complementary, sound.

3. jgnmoose

jgnmoose Electromatic

Feb 3, 2015
    Texas
    Too bad on the Danelectro. There are some really cool looking ones you might be able to use to win that test.

The 56' Full Bell version is on my whishlist, shown in this video below.
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK5osAjHh-A"]Danelectro '56 Single Cutaway Full Bell HS Guitar - YouTube[/ame]

4. Moleng1

Moleng1 Synchromatic

Jul 5, 2014
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    I'm totally impressed with my Gibson Les Paul Jr. Single P-90 with tone and snarl, and a new one is right in your price range! A perfect complement to your Gretsch

5. dinks

dinks Country Gent

Dec 18, 2014
    Kansas
    I'd vote for something with P90s, Lipstick pickups, or a 12-string. I love the sound of Danelectros even if they look a little goofy. I have a Strat (although I still want a Tele just because) and a vintage Gretsch, so in terms of tonal variety, my next electric purchases will be a Dano and something with P90s. I need a play a few to figure out whether I want a hollow body with P90s or a Les Paul, but it's a tone I'd like to have in the arsenal. I played a Dano 12-string a couple weeks ago, and it's a super cool guitar for $450.

6. tim73

tim73 Gretschie

Feb 15, 2009
    Wiltshire, England
    Cheers for the replies - interestingly my G5120 has a P90 in the bridge, one of my mods.

My girlfriend is really cool and the Dano / 5420 is just an opinion. I'm guided by her views and I'm just thinking out loud about it all. Trading my 5120 in for an upgrade is not an option - it is my favourite guitar and I don't care about it being an Electromatic. It has TV Jones upgrades, Seymour Duncan upgrades and a rocking bar bridge. It's here to stay :)

7. afire

afire Country Gent

My 2nd choice is usually a Rickenbacker. A good Gretsch can do just about anything. The Rickenbacker is for a more quirky sound. These two were my "collection" for a couple of years.
    [​IMG]

8. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Isn't the perfect guitar to complement a Gretsch another Gretsch?

:)

9. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    I feel exactly the same way about my 5120. Once you mod them to your taste they're hard to put down. :)

10. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

A Jet with Dynas is a good compliment to a hollow body with Filtertrons, too

11. Joe90

Joe90 Synchromatic

Jul 6, 2014
    Canada
    You have a tough list there, Tim. Any one of those guitars would be a good choice.

However, in the local shops over here a new Epiphone ES 175 is approximately equal to the combined price of a new Epiphone Dot and Squier 50's CV Stratocaster.

If it's the same in your local shops I'd advise you to go that route.

12. jacodiego

jacodiego Gretschie

Mar 24, 2011
    california
    If it were me, I'd look into getting a Squire or Fender Bass VI...or a Dano bass 6 or bari.

13. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    OK, you've established what you will use the guitar for, i.e., 50s rock 'n' roll and a bit of Americana / country. Between your Gretsch and your Tele you can handle most of that.

The Swingster is a poor imitation of your Gretsch and will give you nothing you don't already have.

The ES-175 and the Epi Dot will almost certainly need new pickups as they still have the older EPI mud pickups and your ears won't be happy after listening to your TV Jones pickups.

Strats are remarkable instruments and can be use to play about anything. If you are missing yours it seems obvious it does something you're others don't. Maybe this is your obvious choice and honestly,it is a good one if for no other reason than versatility.

If you are missing a humbucker sound you might examine the Epi ES-339. They have the new upgraded PRO pickups and play and sound great. An exceptional instrument for not much money.

I hope this is helpful.

14. afire

afire Country Gent

Yes. I sold that beautiful '64 Rickenbacker 1998 and replaced it with a '62 Tennessean. As much as I enjoy Rickenbackers, they just suffer in comparison with Gretsches and whenever I have one, I end up deciding to replace it with a Gretsch. Then I think I need some variety and get another Rickenbacker. And the cycle continues. There's another Rickenbacker in my near future.

15. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    Sugarpine telecaster responds much like a hollowbody gretsch with the right pickups. I dont even have to change the position of my pedals switching between the two other than turning back the tone control on the tele a tad.

16. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I'd say your pretty well covered if your 5120 is your baby and you like the tele.
    Maybe trade the tele for a better one? Or just get another tele!

If you just gotta have another guitar there's a couple of diff ways you could go. Something Gibsonish with 2 HB or a Strat for the SC neck & middle pickup sound and trem.
    I guess it depends on what you want more
    that great Strat front and middle pickup thing,
    or that Gibson into Marshall rock crunch and/or mellow amp blanket Jazz sound you can get with humbuckers.

17. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    You can't go wrong with a strat...I have the 60s Road Worn that is really great.

18. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    My Telemaster is white Pine and it can be a Gretsch or a Tele. Perfect hybrid with the TVJs!

Thanks again Tavo for the TVJ's recommendation. This guitar is the bomb!!!

Attached Files:

19. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I try to have my guitars cover somewhat different ground and I have a strict policy of never having tow of the same guitar. Assuming your modded 5120 has Filtertrons of some sort I'd advise that you address the single coil end of your collection, because Filters/TV Classics, etc, are the perfect humbucking pickup, IMO. If a Strat works for your needs I'd say go for it. Maybe some sort of P-90 beast, like a Les Paul Special. Or . . . you could save some coinage and buy a Dynasonic Gretsch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.