Penguin In Trouble

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Mr Swisher, Apr 9, 2021.

1. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    It is an odd color and perhaps difficult to match, so I'll give them that. But I too am part of the broken headstock club (both Guilds!) and since matching was nearly impossible, they got very creative and made it look good. I'm not sure these guys were willing to do that. If you could talk them down to a reasonable number, you could justify some extra finishing hours making it look decent.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  2. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Gretschie

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    That one, they'd need to discount it considerably more to attract a buyer. £2,300, you can get a flawless new guitar for that much. What that one is marked down, I'd have to live across the street from Fender's Gretsch custom shop in California, USA to even consider owning the problem of getting it repaired for that price.

3. billstyler

billstyler Newbie

May 15, 2013
    Idaho, USA

It is horrible, true. I have repaired those breaks on just about every brand that does not have maple necks. In fact, I repaired one maple neck Gretsch. Not a show-stopper, if you don't mind waiting for a good (not cheap) repair, but at the price they are asking, I'd low-ball them with £1800 (no more, and I'd try even less) and get it repaired, if you really like that model (who doesn't?).

4. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I never really considered it. I stumbled across the listing as I am looking for a purchase, and want another Proline Gretsch.

Glad I wasn't the only one who found the price "optimistic" :D

5. Berington

Berington Electromatic

Jan 6, 2014
    Los Angeles
    It's a shame to see something like this. It doesn't even look like it's quite lined up in the back... it looks like you'd get splinters from playing it! Wow! I mean, OWWWW! It would be great to see it properly repaired and into a good home, at a decent price.

I've been the lucky recipient of an unlikely opposite outcome. My first electric was a fine little '64 sunburst, 2-pickup Teisco Del Rey, which I now have hanging on a wall, to be sure, & it still works fine. The real miracle, though, is that maybe around '69, in its thin cardboard case, I accidentally knocked it off my bed. I felt sick, almost couldn't open the case. Sure enough, the headstock had cracked in the back, with a 2 or 3" long hairline crack going side-to-side under the fingerboard, longer on the bass end. Amazingly, the string tension seemed to hold it perfectly in place. Being my only electric at the time, I continued playing it until one fine day replacing it with a Moserite Ventures model... & of course, on to others through my life, including my 2 favorite Gretsches. I've never had it repaired to this day, and it still plays great... even stays in tune great! Not bad for a $125 special, eh? An early lucky break in my music career, indeed!

Mr Swisher likes this.
  6. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Looks like there is still some air gap at the back. I always thought, when fixing this, the gaps needs to be filled with wood. The colour being off in the fix wouldn't put me of as much as long as it's a good fix.
    But idd, it'd need to drop to at least 50% imho.

Mr Swisher likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.