Penguin In Trouble

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Mr Swisher, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Archtops

Archtops Gretschie

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    That’s a Major Pass!

Mr Swisher likes this.
  2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    LMAO... $3700! Funniest thing I’ve heard all year. With that reply they deserve to have it linger around taking up valuable wall space... forever.

mjm0, MotorCentaur and Back in Black like this.
  3. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    The are a strange retailer. My knowledge and dealing with them have made me wonder if every guitar they sell online gets returned.

I sorted out the Tele' I fot from them myself just so as I didn't have to deal with them anymore.

Instore they may be better.

Back in Black likes this.
  4. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Really? I don't want to see a sloppy unprofessional repair then. Morons.

Back in Black likes this.
  5. Penguin Picker

Penguin Picker Gretschie

Apr 2, 2021
    Canada

Pfft. I paid $3900 CDN for mine, brand new, flawless, mint and touched by no-one but Gretsch and me. Yeah they're definitely looking for a sucker.

Merc and Back in Black like this.
  6. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia

hahahaha 2300 pounds - like all these broken guitar threads that Penguin is worth precisely zero to me :D

Robbie likes this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    A professionally repaired headbreak usually cuts the price of a guitar to half of the price of a comparable model that did not suffer from a broken headstock.

If the repair is done correctly the neck will probably be more stable at that point than it was comming from the factory.

stevo, Mr Swisher and 6124Bassman like this.
  8. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I know. But they claim it’s already professionally been repaired. It doesn’t look it in the pictures. Although it will take some effort to match that purple. I wouldn’t trust it, not knowing who did the repair. And that price is way too high even if repaired.

The thing with this one is that you can likely find one unbroken with a little patience. It’s a recent model and not vintage.

loudnlousy likes this.
  9. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    Ouch. Penguin down.

10. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    As Mr. T would have said, "Pity the fool."

11. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    NOT 2300. If I had that in my shop, I'd get it PROPERLY fixed first, declare the flaw and cut the price in half at least. Glad they're honest, but that price is ridiculous. It's worth maybe 1000 if repaired. About 800 in this state.

This statement is just wrong:

"This magnificent Penguin model was damaged in transit. It sustained a headstock break that has been professionally repaired. Unfortunately the nature of the custom colour has meant disguising the repair was not possible."

Maybe not possible for your luthier or not possible given what you were willing to spend on the repair. But it could have been done much much better than that! It's like they didn't even try.

mjm0 and Merc like this.
  12. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    If this was broken in transit as they say, they should have already been compensated for it. They're trying to double dip. They would ultimately make more on this by selling it repaired.

13. Penguin Picker

Penguin Picker Gretschie

Apr 2, 2021
    Canada
    When mine arrived it was in the hardshell case that's included with it and that was in a well packed box at that.

I'm having a very hard time believing it was broken in transit.

Henry and new6659 like this.
  14. malc

malc Electromatic

Jun 10, 2020
    Lincoln
    Who are they? There is luthier in Yorkshire that could redo that break invisibly. But it doesn't look like it has even been repaired. I have never seen a guitar like that for sale in a music shop. I wonder whether they are better suited to used cars.

15. malc

malc Electromatic

Jun 10, 2020
    Lincoln
    Me too!

16. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/prod...tsch-g6134tsl-limited-penguin-smoke-greylilac

Hmm the link always takes you to the good one. There's another on this site. With a second-hand headstock.

17. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
  18. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Is it still safe to display the guitar that way :eek: Seems like a lot of strain on a broken area?
    Beautiful guitar tho, but I wouldn't go for this one.

Mr Swisher likes this.
  19. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    As a broken headstock expert (as a dedicated follower of mr. Pete Townshed I broke two :)), I have to say that my guitar man always told me it's a lot more difficult to repair a plain color broken headstock as to have a perfect result you should repaint the whole neck (if not more, in case of set necks), and that would cost you a ton.
    So it may be the case with that Penguin... maybe they professional repaired the damage, but let the painting job as it was so it wouldn't cost them several hundreds to bring it back to as new.
    I've seen that before, 'cause I did the same. I left the crack on the black paint on the front (and on the back, but it was less visible as the cherry veneer would hide that better) of my SG repaired headstock. It was just cosmetics, I would have costed me 200 bucks more and it didn't affected playability at all. It was a player, so I didn't care.
    Said that, I agree with @stevo . That's a 1000 dollars guitar, not more than that. That price is a rip off.

michelb and stevo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.