Penguin...6134, or 6134-LTV?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by acousticplays, Jun 10, 2016.

1. acousticplays

acousticplays Gretschie

Jan 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've finally sold enough gear to allocate enough funds to fund my dream guitar.

But first, I would honestly like to research the difference between these two before pulling the trigger!

I'm torn between these two models, as the thing is I already have a Pro Jet that I modded to Penguin-like specs (some of you may know it as the Puffin), which I dropped Filtertrons/etc into.

[​IMG]

The reason for buying a Penguin? It will be my first and only pro-line (I'm going after the build quality, and the fact that it's always been a dream to own one).
    I know it's like comparing an old Honda to a Mercedes here, but would grabbing the LTV model with TV Jones be redundant if I already have a (close-resembling, but probably not tone-sounding) Pro Jet?

[​IMG]

The reason I was leaning towards the regular 6134 with Dynasonics is for the difference in tone, but I've always been a sucker for humbuckers.

[​IMG]

Any Penguin owners and all others, please feel free to share your knowledge!

2. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I'd go with the Filtertron model. I have the 6134 with Dynasonics and I've switched them out for TVJs and swapped the Cadillac tailpiece for the B3G Bigsby.
    Problem is, I LOVE ME THOSE HUMBLOCK INLAYS & VERTICAL GRETSCH! Also, I like the Filtertron wiring visuals better than the Dynasonics. And I like the mud switch option. So sue me.

acousticplays likes this.
  3. acousticplays

acousticplays Gretschie

Jan 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is actually my exact problem - I love the vertical headstock logo as well as the Winged inlays on the fretboard...I just cringe thinking about having to switch out pickups and slapping a bigsby on! (more $$$ on top of already buying the guitar).

Do you happen to have a picture of yours with the switches you made?

4. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I'd go for the TVJ too unless you know you will really like the Dynasonics. Since you are uncertain which pickups you prefer, you may also want more flexibility in your ability to swap pickups - the TVJ trons are easier to replace I believe. I've never played Dynasonics, but I have tried T-Armonds which sounded FABULOUS once you get over the hum.

5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The "puffin" projet is in the first picture.

Also, keep in mind that you will probably have fewer drop in pickup options replacing the Dynasonics, though I could be wrong about that. It is a less common mount.

6. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Have you found a 6134LTV for sale? I thought they are quite rare and aren't in the current Gretsch production line. I'd probably go for the LTV, because it has a Bigsby and I'm not sure about the Synchro-Sonic bridge. I love the sound of Dynasonics, but the gold Filtertrons match the Penguin bling beautifully. Do you want white, or have you also considered the Midnight Sapphire?

Henry likes this.
  7. acousticplays

acousticplays Gretschie

Jan 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    There's currently a couple on some sites that I shop on, with the cheapest I've seen at $2,400, while the others go over $3k.

The Midnight Sapphire is beautiful! But I'm just thinking that if I'm going to spend the $ on the guitar...it should be the one I always wanted :)

Wozob likes this.
  8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Do you know what pickups you want?

acousticplays likes this.
  9. acousticplays

acousticplays Gretschie

Jan 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've always been a humbucker guy. But like I mentioned above, the reason I was considering the Dynasonic model was just to have "variety" over the Filtertrons that I already have.

But I'm confident that no matter what I pick, even it were the TV Jones model, it would still sound vastly different than a Pro Jet.

10. Dead Roman

Dead Roman Country Gent

Dec 22, 2015
    Texas
  11. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I'm the complete opposite to HypotenusLuvTriangle,i like the 55 spec with the Caddy tail, Dyna's ,as i prefer there control layout ,verticle logo and engraved hump blocks.

You can always go with TV's Filter in a Dyna casing .

speedicut likes this.
  12. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I was about to post this.

13. acousticplays

acousticplays Gretschie

Jan 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    So it's relatively easy to drop TV Jones in the Dyna slots?

14. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Yes.

TVJonesDeArmond.jpg

15. acousticplays

acousticplays Gretschie

Jan 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
  16. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
  17. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Here are photos and the thread in which I talk about my Hot Rod Penguin. I bought it used of eBay from an Estate Liquidator, I think..., Got a fantastic deal as the only problem was that it was dirty and a few dings in it. Pulled out the Dynasonics as the magnets were causing weird rattling/buzzing with the strings and I hated the hum and the sound with distortion. I dropped in the TVJs Powertron for Bridge and Magnatron for Neck. Used the Dearmond Mount offered by TVJ. Also slapped on the B3G instead of the tailpiece. Later on, I re-wired it to Hotrod setup. I'm still not happy with the white plugs I made for the holes. They've discolored with age. http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/hot-rodded-penguin.120066/#post-660331
    Also, put a Compton on it.

Attached Files:

acousticplays and Wozob like this.
  18. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    i'd go with the Dyna model & drop in TV Supertrons like l did in my old Jet!!! best 3D sounding kick ass guitar l ever owned!!

IMG_0388.JPG

19. OldCowHand

OldCowHand Country Gent

Sep 24, 2015
    Kent, England.
    I envy your decision; it's a hard one though. How about getting the Dyan model and swapping the pickups with the Puffin?

20. nedray

nedray Electromatic

May 2, 2009
    SATX
    I'd go with the standard 6134, especially if you've been dreaming about one forever. Let's face it, from a practical standpoint, the Penguin isn't Gretsch's ultimate weapon--it's more of a cosmetic obsession like...well, never mind. Anyway, I've long gassed for one of these as well, and I'd feel cheated if I gave up any of the appointments that make it special. Plus, those Dynas twang like a mutha! If you want to fatten up the bridge pup, kick on a clean boost pedal. And you should be able to find a clean used one for around $2K.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.