Pedal power - Do you ride?

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I ride a Raleigh Talus Sport 29” mountain bike, to which I have added hydraulic brakes. Until recently, the roads in my neighborhood were pretty rough, so a mountain bike with dual purpose tread, or a Cyclocross bike were about my only choices. The roads were recently repaved, but I still like the cushioning on the large tires, and this bike goes from ultra low gearing to road bike gearing in the highest ranges.

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I had to replace the handlebars on my Schwinn Varsity due to back pain. While I was at it, I upgraded to a fancy Schwinn seat. I've had this bike since Christmas 1978, and it's still going strong View attachment 187196
Schwinn bikes are exceptionally tough. When I was a kid, we lived in a neighborhood with gravel roads that were rough on all vehicles, but most of us rode Schwinn bikes, and never had breakdowns.

If there was ever a nuclear war, and all that was left were giant cockroaches, they’d be riding Schwinns that came through the blast unscathed. :)

RagnarHairybreeks

Gretschie
Aug 1, 2022
Gloucester England
So far this year I have put £30 of fuel in the car - and that was because I had to deliver and collect my wife from a massive (she managed 53Km) very hilly walk in aid of dementia. I do everything on a bike.

I have three main cycles. A Cannondale CAAD 105 that I’ve changed to front disk and a Kinesis carbon fork (does anything bike), a Trek District belt drive bike that I converted to fixed drive with bullhorns that you can pick up with one finger, and Bob; my Harry vs Larry cargo bike that can carry just about anything. Certainly more than the car can.

641318DF-9753-43AF-8E15-74CFED256528.jpeg

Tele295

Country Gent
Jun 4, 2008
Bigsby Springs, CA
Schwinn bikes are exceptionally tough. When I was a kid, we lived in a neighborhood with gravel roads that were rough on all vehicles, but most of us rode Schwinn bikes, and never had breakdowns.

If there was ever a nuclear war, and all that was left were giant cockroaches, they’d be riding Schwinns that came through the blast unscathed. :)
It was the same in my neighborhood. I started with a Schwinn Stingray when I was 6, and graduated to the Varsity when I was 10. It had those 70s ram horn handlebars, but I prefer to sit up straight so I can look around.

The Varsity needs new paint, though, especially in our damp seaside environment. I’m thinking of going with a copper color.

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
It was the same in my neighborhood. I started with a Schwinn Stingray when I was 6, and graduated to the Varsity when I was 10. It had those 70s ram horn handlebars, but I prefer to sit up straight so I can look around.

The Varsity needs new paint, though, especially in our damp seaside environment. I’m thinking of going with a copper color.
It’s amazing to have anything from 1978 that is still functional. it sounds like it’s worth repainting.

KaHOnas

Gretschie
Aug 29, 2021
Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA
I ride a lot but I've given up the road.

I used to ride a Lotus road bike, that got replaced by a Bridgestone race bike but somewhere along the way, I started getting into mountain biking.

I ended up with an '87 Peugeot U.S. Express (which I still have and ride regularly). Life happened and I fell out of riding for some time.

I got back into it about 5 years ago. Right now, I'm riding a Trek X-calibur and I love the frame geometry. I'm planning a bunch of upgrades since a comparable hardtail bike would be more expensive than all the money I've put into this X-cal. My son has recently started riding with me...which is nice. Crashing in the woods with nobody within yelling distance could be a bad day. 3D87A27A-3C55-4F7F-9488-8720A5306D48.jpeg D3E962CB-6E58-456B-AA76-860310699144.jpeg BFA84FE8-8BA6-44AF-9569-7E53736E048F.jpeg

giffenf

Country Gent
Oct 26, 2008
Los Angeles
I'm surprised @Hydroman hasn't chimed in yet, but maybe he's busy this weekend. He's been a serious cyclist for some time. I've been riding longer than he has, but that's just because I'm older. He's much more knowledgeable and skilled in riding than I am. But I'll let him talk about that.

That said, yes, 2 of my 3 most favorite things to do in this world are playing guitar and bicycling. Guitar playing just barely supersedes bicycling, which is why I'm not in a better state of physical fitness. But right now, I'm riding a fair bit. It's 13.5 miles to work, and I ride 2-3 days a week (sometimes I have rehearsals or gigs right after work so I can't do it every day; as I get older, I don't mind at all because I like to take the occasional rest). I don't have nearly as many bikes as I do guitars (only 6), but I still have the first good road bike I bought the day after Christmas in 1975, a Centurion Super Le Mans, in orange, of course, because Gretsch. I have rehabbed it a few times to keep it rideable, but after Manny (Hydroman) invited me to a vintage bike ride they do here in SoCal every month, after getting props from the group for not only having a pretty old bike, but being the original owner, he said "You need a vintage racing bike." So he set out to (and succeeded in) finding one we could restore for me. And he found an '80s-vintage Medici Pro Strada. Coincidentally, also in orange. He did most of the work, but we got it in a fine state of rideability, and it's a blast to ride, though I don't think I'd want to do a century on it. But I could.
Medici2.jpg

One day when I brought the Centurion to the vintage ride, Manny brought an orange bike, so it seemed natural that the two Gretsch guys in the group were riding orange bikes:
OrangeBikes.jpg

My current 2-wheeled sweetheart is my 2021 Specialized Aethos Pro, a custom build (by someone else) I picked up used at a (relatively) reasonable price. I had to sell my White Falcon and another guitar to pay for (a little more than half of) it, but after putting all gig money toward it, it's finally paid for:
aethos2.jpg

Note the lack of cables, just two internally-routed hydraulic lines for the disc brakes, the derailleurs/shifters are SRAM AXS Force eTap wireless, and to say this bike can fly is not much of an exaggeration. I almost nicknamed it "The White Falcon" to remind me of the nice guitar I had to sell to help pay for it, but I concluded a nod to George Jones was in order, so it's called "White Lightning." The Medici is nicknamed the Orange Blossom Special.

I always do a Birthday Ride (coming up this month) of at least 100 miles. Last year, Manny, whose birthday is shortly before mine, turned 52 so he doubled his age and rode 104. When my birthday came up, I felt compelled to outdo him and rode 107, Got a century coming up next Saturday, but I've also got 3 gigs that weekend, so I'm not sure yet whether I'll sacrifice the ride or die trying to do it all. I'm not getting any younger.

Here's Manny and me last November when we rode 43 miles down to Seal Beach and back. This picture was at the halfway point, so we're still smiling.
MannyandMe2.jpeg

RagnarHairybreeks

Gretschie
Aug 1, 2022
Gloucester England
I'm surprised @Hydroman hasn't chimed in yet, but maybe he's busy this weekend. He's been a serious cyclist for some time. I've been riding longer than he has, but that's just because I'm older. He's much more knowledgeable and skilled in riding than I am. But I'll let him talk about that.

That said, yes, 2 of my 3 most favorite things to do in this world are playing guitar and bicycling. Guitar playing just barely supersedes bicycling, which is why I'm not in a better state of physical fitness. But right now, I'm riding a fair bit. It's 13.5 miles to work, and I ride 2-3 days a week (sometimes I have rehearsals or gigs right after work so I can't do it every day; as I get older, I don't mind at all because I like to take the occasional rest). I don't have nearly as many bikes as I do guitars (only 6), but I still have the first good road bike I bought the day after Christmas in 1975, a Centurion Super Le Mans, in orange, of course, because Gretsch. I have rehabbed it a few times to keep it rideable, but after Manny (Hydroman) invited me to a vintage bike ride they do here in SoCal every month, after getting props from the group for not only having a pretty old bike, but being the original owner, he said "You need a vintage racing bike." So he set out to (and succeeded in) finding one we could restore for me. And he found an '80s-vintage Medici Pro Strada. Coincidentally, also in orange. He did most of the work, but we got it in a fine state of rideability, and it's a blast to ride, though I don't think I'd want to do a century on it. But I could.
Medici2.jpg

One day when I brought the Centurion to the vintage ride, Manny brought an orange bike, so it seemed natural that the two Gretsch guys in the group were riding orange bikes:
OrangeBikes.jpg

My current 2-wheeled sweetheart is my 2021 Specialized Aethos Pro, a custom build (by someone else) I picked up used at a (relatively) reasonable price. I had to sell my White Falcon and another guitar to pay for (a little more than half of) it, but after putting all gig money toward it, it's finally paid for:
aethos2.jpg

Note the lack of cables, just two internally-routed hydraulic lines for the disc brakes, the derailleurs/shifters are SRAM AXS Force eTap wireless, and to say this bike can fly is not much of an exaggeration. I almost nicknamed it "The White Falcon" to remind me of the nice guitar I had to sell to help pay for it, but I concluded a nod to George Jones was in order, so it's called "White Lightning." The Medici is nicknamed the Orange Blossom Special.

I always do a Birthday Ride (coming up this month) of at least 100 miles. Last year, Manny, whose birthday is shortly before mine, turned 52 so he doubled his age and rode 104. When my birthday came up, I felt compelled to outdo him and rode 107, Got a century coming up next Saturday, but I've also got 3 gigs that weekend, so I'm not sure yet whether I'll sacrifice the ride or die trying to do it all. I'm not getting any younger.

Here's Manny and me last November when we rode 43 miles down to Seal Beach and back. This picture was at the halfway point, so we're still smiling.
MannyandMe2.jpeg
Loving the Aethos…

Very much my minamilistic aesthetic.

Falconetti

Gretschie
Sep 18, 2012
Bagsville, Oxford UK
Here are my two current daily riders. A Colnago Master Pui from about 1988 in Saronni Red which I restored from its original and offensive blue.

IMG_5289.jpeg

And a Mercian King of Mercia which no amount of money would buy. If the workshop was on fire this is the bike I would save.

IMG_6322.jpeg IMG_6323.jpeg

Other hand built and custom bikes too numerous to mention from British and Italian makers have come and gone over the years but these are the keepers. Interesting how many guitar players are also into their bikes.

Bumble 57

Gretschie
May 8, 2022
Durango Co
I decided a couple years ago to try my hand at frame building. Ordered some Columbus SL tubes. I already had a milling machine so that made it easier. Fillet brazed. After a million hours of filing and sanding it was done. Labor of love for sure. The second photo is an old mtb I converted into a gravel bike. All counted I have 15 or so bikes from modern to vintage. Last photo is my home made framed s.s. B84F829C-3E9E-4DF7-A640-19988CF3427B.jpeg 6D575DE8-E5E8-40EE-B518-66A72D7CBEFF.jpeg 97D6365B-1650-49FD-8BE5-FA35C75F02DE.jpeg

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I still rode the Same bike I bought in June of 1988 a few months before I left active duty. GT All Terra Tequista mountain bike. I have had the tires brakes derailers etc replaced once now. Tires more than once.

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
Mom bought it from a coworker in 78, it’s older than that. Starting to get to be the same age as some of my guitars
I remember that model from when I was a kid. I think that the Schwinn Varsity was released about one day after the wheel was invented, but great designs like it tend to endure.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
I used to ride a lot, but with a 60 hour+ a week job, it wasn't feasible. That, and people aim for bikes once they're off campus. Many of the cyclists around here don't heed road rules, so that's a real issue. Now, with COPD, I have trouble walking to the mailbox, so riding a bike is just out of the question anymore. With the roads around here, fat tires make sense. As is typical with many towns, cycling isn't easy to do here what with traffic and narrow streets.

My first real bike was my uncles '40-ish Schwinn. Springer front fork, horn tank, headlight, huge fat tires, a massive basket on the front, and rear panier baskets. Obviously for delivering papers, for which it worked well.

A guy I worked with had one of those fixed crank single speed bikes. He worked part-time on stage and the rest of is time he delivered for JJs sandwiches. All of those bike delivery guys are maniacs that must believe no harm will befall them. This guy and his girlfriend do that road race across Iowa every year (RAGBRAI??).

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I used to ride a lot, but with a 60 hour+ a week job, it wasn't feasible. That, and people aim for bikes once they're off campus. Many of the cyclists around here don't heed road rules, so that's a real issue. Now, with COPD, I have trouble walking to the mailbox, so riding a bike is just out of the question anymore. With the roads around here, fat tires make sense. As is typical with many towns, cycling isn't easy to do here what with traffic and narrow streets.

My first real bike was my uncles '40-ish Schwinn. Springer front fork, horn tank, headlight, huge fat tires, a massive basket on the front, and rear panier baskets. Obviously for delivering papers, for which it worked well.

A guy I worked with had one of those fixed crank single speed bikes. He worked part-time on stage and the rest of is time he delivered for JJs sandwiches. All of those bike delivery guys are maniacs that must believe no harm will befall them. This guy and his girlfriend do that road race across Iowa every year (RAGBRAI??).
Ragbrai is great and a huge deal in Iowa. I never did it but it sounds like a good time my friends did it and had a blast but were wore out at the end! it’s like a giant tailgate party every night!