Pedal power - Do you ride?

Emergence

Synchromatic
May 25, 2022
New York
I just got back from a bike ride to the beach, 25 miles out and back. My bike’s a partscaster, an Ibis Hakaluggi frame from the turn of the century built up with wheels I built myself, and mountain bike parts that I upgraded on my partscaster Santa Cruz along the way.
BDFFBA35-D3A9-482F-8862-28784C73551B.jpeg
What’s the big deal? It’s one year since the poop hit the fan and splattered back hitting me square in the chest. I got back from my ride with insane shoulder pain, went to see my doc who sent me straight to a cardiologist. What he found put me in Mount Sinai in NYC to see a guy who could set stents in impossible places and back again two months later for two more. I’m down 30 lbs. since that time. I’m off insulin. I’m tired after the ride but feeling no pain.

Funny thing about partscasters. You can’t sell them for the sum of their parts but they can be worth so much more than that.

Butch Ammon

Synchromatic
Jan 3, 2016
Richmond, VA
I have a classic, solid steel, 1985 Fuji Del Rey that I still ride today! 100% pure "old school" 27" gumwall tires, friction shifters on the down tube, toe cage pedals, etc... They don't make 'em like this anymore! :cool:

Truth, I brought it into the local bike shop here in town and they guys were like, "OMG..." at first, and called the owner over to check it out. He remembered bikes like mine. They decided to order some older supplies, tools, wrenches, just in case someone else (like me) brought in an older 35-40 year classic bicycle.

85Fuji.Closeup.4-17.jpg

Sabato

Country Gent
Mar 22, 2019
Massachusetts
I have a classic, solid steel, 1985 Fuji Del Rey that I still ride today! 100% pure "old school" 27" gumwall tires, friction shifters on the down tube, toe cage pedals, etc... They don't make 'em like this anymore! :cool:

Truth, I brought it into the local bike shop here in town and they guys were like, "OMG..." at first, and called the owner over to check it out. He remembered bikes like mine. They decided to order some older supplies, tools, wrenches, just in case someone else (like me) brought in an older 35-40 year classic bicycle.

View attachment 187146
That looks exactly like my bike (bought in 1984). A couple of years ago I brought it to the local bike shop for new tires. The old ones were older than the guy at the shop!

Butch Ammon

Synchromatic
Jan 3, 2016
Richmond, VA
That looks exactly like my bike (bought in 1984). A couple of years ago I brought it to the local bike shop for new tires. The old ones were older than the guy at the shop!
LOL... Yup, when I brought it in to Conte's here in Richmond, VA the young kids wigged out over it, because my Fuji was older than them! They looked it over and looked it over, studying it, etc... I had to do everything to muffle my laughter! 🤣

Emergence

Synchromatic
May 25, 2022
New York
Trek 1600SLR. My max for one day is 100 miles. I had the mother of all leg cramps later that day. View attachment 187147
There was a time I did two or three centuries each season. I’m more regimented now and I don’t go beyond what my cardiologist says is good for me. I joined a great gym. My workout schedule is simple. Every workout starts with a 12 to 15 minute warmup. My upper body day includes 14 lifts with 30+ reps per station, lower body day with 11 lifts with 30 to 50 reps per lift, both followed by a stretching routine, followed by a recovery or cardio day. The cardio day isn’t a recovery day. It’s a workout like other days followed by stretching. It’s a seven day cycle that I work like a part time job. My cardiologist is good with this as long as I check in at the first sign if trouble.

Sabato

Country Gent
Mar 22, 2019
Massachusetts
I think I'll start with walking..... maybe I can ride cross the street and back! A friend and I used to go on long rides on the weekends. I also once started at the Rhode Island/Connecticut border and rode about 110 miles to the New York/Connecticut border. Riding behind a beautiful woman is motivating!
My bike:
20160615_114955.jpg

GlenP

Country Gent
Jul 23, 2019
WA

View attachment 187146
That was around the time I got my bike, a slightly cheaper brand than the Fuij or Trek at the time, but a nice steel frame that I still use. I swapped out the drop bar for an upright bar with bar-end shifters. I had just enough seat post exposed to swap out a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST. I used to bike to work, some days that was a better option looking at the traffic that I was passing on the freeway. I have a matching his/hers set of these Centurion Le Mans 12. With my laptop bag, spare shoes for work and full change of clothes in the handle bar bag, this weighed in around 60-lbs.

Pic_0425_021.jpeg Pic_1025_038.jpeg Pic_0726_081.jpeg

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
There was a time I loved bike riding ...I worked all summer in 1972 mowing lawns and bought a Schwinn Varsity in green . Rode to a girls house in Jersey one day , walked in the house and we decided to bike ride to another friends house ...walked outside and it was gone ....last I saw of it .

Then I had 2 Peugeots bikes . One from about 1987 and one I " acquired " at the PD , ( don't worry , it was all ligit ) an older 1970's white one with the hard leather seat .
Loved all 3 bikes

Last edited:

Penguin

Country Gent
Nov 20, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Yeah I'm a rider - cycle toured across 12 countries, still ride most days. I have a Cannondale tourer (on rollers below - it's raining in Sydney again), a partscaster e-MTB (my daily commuter; you'll note the slicks), a Giant and a Brompton. As a cyclist, the older I get, the better I was... but... I still enjoy it and it's better than being a couch potato. A penguin needs a bicycle like they need their guitars.
Peng
20220813_081003.jpg
20220813_081115.jpg

Penguin

Country Gent
Nov 20, 2011
Sydney, Australia
I think I'll start with walking..... maybe I can ride cross the street and back! A friend and I used to go on long rides on the weekends. I also once started at the Rhode Island/Connecticut border and rode about 110 miles to the New York/Connecticut border. Riding behind a beautiful woman is motivating!
My bike:
Nice - looks responsive to ride!

Butch Ammon

Synchromatic
Jan 3, 2016
Richmond, VA
Aside from road bikes, I also have a Schwinn Alum Comp that my (late) bro-in-late gave me, after he got a Trek Police bike, back in the day. It was a bit small for me, so I raised the seat up as high as I could, and it was doable.

Mountain biking is WAY DIFFERENT than road biking! Some of those guys, going airborne over jumps and ravines and stuff is almost insane!! 😨

I tried my hand at it and sideswiped a tree with my right arm. The bike was fine, but my right arm wasn't. I had a huge scrape on my right forearm that was bleeding. I just continued on with the blood streaming down my arm, trying to tough it out. I remembered a good friend of mine and Masonic Brother from our lodge, lived nearby, so I rode over to his house, and scared his wife half to death! She called to him, and they brought me into the house, cleaned me up, bandaged me up, and then lectured me, "What is the matter with you?", etc... etc... and I could only reply with, "well, I saw younger guys doing it, so I thought I could do it too!". Lesson learned...

Anyway, here's an old photo from back then, when I was going all over God's green earth on a mountain bike, in the mud, in the dirt, in the air, etc...

100_1789.JPG

Last edited:

Sabato

Country Gent
Mar 22, 2019
Massachusetts
When I moved to where I have lived for the past thirty something years I stopped riding because I live on a ribbon of a road with a 30 mph limit that they go 50 on. It's a poor excuse because I can transport my bike to ride in a better location and that's what I'll have to do now if I want to get back into shape!

Sabato

Country Gent
Mar 22, 2019
Massachusetts
Thinking about biking, I remember a group ride with a guy that had some association with the Olympics and he had a bike with one gear, no coasting. When he passed me it sounded like a giant turbine (powered by his tree trunk legs).

Emergence

Synchromatic
May 25, 2022
New York
Thinking about biking, I remember a group ride with a guy that had some association with the Olympics and he had a bike with one gear, no coasting. When he passed me it sounded like a giant turbine (powered by his tree trunk legs).
Mine has 27 speeds and I could probably have ridden faster on the single speed tank I had when I was a kid. I’m not fast but I’m still moving forward.

Maguchi

Electromatic
Aug 11, 2022
Lalaland
I just got back from a bike ride to the beach, 25 miles out and back. My bike’s a partscaster, an Ibis Hakaluggi frame from the turn of the century built up with wheels I built myself, and mountain bike parts that I upgraded on my partscaster Santa Cruz along the way.

What’s the big deal? It’s one year since the poop hit the fan and splattered back hitting me square in the chest. I got back from my ride with insane shoulder pain, went to see my doc who sent me straight to a cardiologist. What he found put me in Mount Sinai in NYC to see a guy who could set stents in impossible places and back again two months later for two more. I’m down 30 lbs. since that time. I’m off insulin. I’m tired after the ride but feeling no pain.

Funny thing about partscasters. You can’t sell them for the sum of their parts but they can be worth so much more than that.
I thought this thread was gonna be about one a these. Oh well.

20210301_173727 (1).jpg

Latest posts