Pedal order today is the day

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Bertotti, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    So I am at it again. I am tired of misc pedals just lying around. I want one permanent place. So I am laying out everything and making a tiered board big enough for it with space for one more.
    Does this order look ok? Right to left top to bottom is the signal flow.Keeping in mind they may not be in a line like this, probably be three full tiers to limit the width and hopefully be able to set it on my xxx head or the floor. Thanks for any order comments and no they are never all on at the same time, and the Jr B is in the MB loop but I am not sure I will keep it there. I am trying to keep the stereo stuff last so I can run two amps when the mood hits. Hopefully at some point a volante or timeline will go before the Bigsky. The RC Booster and the Looper will be sold and possibly the CC and Chorus as well. Oh and the cat is not a new fuzz, the input and output are not compatible with guitar cables.

IMG_1078.jpg

thunder58, DannyB, audept and 6 others like this.
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    My other thought was one tier with a drawer under it since it will be for home use. Keep enough room for 5-6 pedals and switch in and out what I want at any given time with the others neatly stored in a drawer handily reached. I have the material on hand and am starting this today! Finally!

Jeff67 likes this.
  3. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    :D

Zeek likes this.
  4. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    Kitty Kitty lol

5. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I should have realized a comment like that would send this thread in a different direction. hahahaha

I'm moving forward with the amp top idea and a drawer.

6. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Bertotti, I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to do. I, too, have too many pedals, and I need to make some decisions about the direction I want to go.

Bertotti likes this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I'll have a picture tomorrow night. Got some cutting and gluing to do. I was going to use a light ply but decided to use the wood you can see on my floor. I still have half a pallet of it.

8. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    question on the Fuzz Ray? Although we've slightly modified the new version's ability to adjust bias on the Transistors, and the hand wired one has a few miles of wiring inside and a vintage NOS Johnny Fast capacitor inside. What's the same or difference to your ears? I'm thinking of adding an active splitter/blend knob addition to the circuit.

Bertotti likes this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Let me play both again this evening. I’m not sure I have the words. They both sound like a Fuzz Ray but give me a bit to see if I can quantify the difference, not sure if it’s the sound or the feel. I like both but I do perceive a difference which could all be in my head. I’m in town now, PT for my mom she’s had a few falls and messed up her meds and is sundowning a bit so that has eaten up more time but you have to take care of your folks. Back in a couple hours with a better answer.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    No loop ??

and ....... 2 x Fuzz Rays ??

11. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    A couple of amps have it and a couple don't.

Yep, 2 the old one for the looks the new one for the control.

Waxhead likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I definitely like the new one better. The extra control makes it easier for me to get a tone I like the notes seem a bit clearer but neither will work with chords of any type for me, too many notes to fast is also too much for my ears. They both sound best with single-note lines that are NOT played extremely fast. Is this the case with all Fuzz? My limited experience is yes.
    I think the new one has a more useable sweep on the right knob in comparison to the sweep of the single knob on the old one. I prefer the old one with the switch on not so much with the switch off. I am not the biggest Fuzz Fan to start with. I just love these boxes though and I haven't heard a box yet that I prefer that can get what these do. One ton bee sort of thing going on. The old one has a background noise that seems to sit behind everything. That noise never changes in tone and bugs me a bit the new one has a bit of that going on as well but to my ear not as noticeable as on the older box. Switch on helps on the old one and left button on and left knob adjustment helps on the new one. So sonically I prefer the new one, it is much easier to dial in a tone I want with both the controls. The switch is good on the old one but is limiting with its two positions.

One other thing the Joyo Hybrid seemed to bring out more of what I don't like in a Fuzz. Where the tube amps, xxx and jsx mini seemed more musical with them. Maybe the difference of using a guitar speaker with the tube amps and dt880 headphones with the AtomiC. I tend to think it is the SS power section. Where the tube amps give that tube color. In this case, they certainly sounded better with all-tube amps.

Given the choice, I would take the new guts in the old box. And yes, I did try stacking them and it is a mess! Is this what you were looking for Tavo? I like the fuzz that followed the tone that went in if any background noise that doesn't change its tone while playing is eliminated it would be perfect.

I used the Broadway Jade Penguin with HS Filtertrons in all positions. I also put the Jangle box out front for a bit of messing around but it didn't seem to change the outcome any. I used the pedals with the Strymon Zuma power supply. Amps and PS plugged into the same 120v power source.

FYI Read my addendum below. I redid my test and it was completely different this time around.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  13. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Pick your favorite voice here, Andy Rooney or Jerry Seinfeld...

Did you ever notice how effect pedals have the inputs on the right flowing the chain to the outputs on the left, but in digital multi-effect pedal boards, or DAW, the icons for the pedals daisy chain goes from left to right?

GarageBand pedal board, for example: (signal chain goes from left to right, unlike most pedals in real life)
    Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 10.18.46 AM.png

PS - did you know that they have a WAH pedal, that if you use with a camera enabled device, then you can control it with your face? You use your mouth to say "WAH" and it goes WAH!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Bertotti likes this.
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    @TV the Wired Turtle OK! My above comments only relate to the hybrid amp with the ss power section. The whole sound seemed off to me from what I remember with the xxx super forty. I went to another room where the super forty was and both of these boxes sounded great but the knobs had to be turned up a bit more to get the Fuzz to track the notes better. Not overly loud but neither is great turned down low I feel they both have to be turned up to at least 9 o'clock to get an acceptable fuzz tone and really preferred them closer to noon. I love the second switch on, and the second knob on the new model. Both of them sound great. I would be hard-pressed to pick out one from the other blindfolded. I can not say I prefer one circuit over the other other than the extra adjustability of the newer model. I was having a ball just now playing with both. I still do not like real fast lines or chords played with either one, way too much going on and running into each other for my ears. But a good single note line has a great Fuzzy sing. I still think the newer one has a pot with a different taper compared to the original but this time around I did not prefer one over the other.

I have two of these little hybrid amps they were cheap and I wanted to try them. the Joyo AtomiC and the Micro Dark from Orange. The MD is a one trick pony and I am not a fan of it the Joyo sounds a lot better but next to my tube amps it just doesn't cut it. I do not know why it behaved badly with the Fuzz Rays. I really don't care as I probably won't be using either for anything more than a throw it in a bag headphone amp when I travel. I may just sell both of them because when I travel I generally go acoustic.

Tavo I don't know what your active splitter blend knob will do but side by side if I had to pick one base circuit and still keep the extra button and knob of the new one I would pick the older one. Like I said it was so hard to tell the difference and unless they were side by side and someone was actively adjusting them I don't think I could tell the difference, I still think the original very slightly has a better tone, the ability to make the fuzz follow the note musically. Tomorrow my ears could perceive it differently it was that close. I will never play these through the hybrids again. I guess I am tube spoiled.

And in the picture above you may have noticed my penchant for wider pedals. I don't mind the smaller boxes but like them laid out like the JrB. I think the Newer Fuzz Ray would be cool laid out like the JrB is but with a different pose maybe more like a trucker girl or a ww2 plane pose with one leg out and the girl kind of laying back. Anyone looking for a good Fuzz this is it unless it is into one of the hybrids. I really didn't like it into them.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Hmm I think later I will try one of them with my Martin. I installed pure western mini pups years ago, it might be fun.

16. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    In the new version there is a trim pot that allows you to tweak the bias.. translates into saturated fuzzies or more splatty and more dry signal standing out. Thanks for the feedback, I love to hear about the different applications.

Bertotti likes this.
  17. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    dont'cha have ta plug'em in first .......:confused:

Bertotti likes this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Out of curiosity have you tried the Fuzz Ray with a hybrid amp? Is my experience with the interaction between the Fuzz Ray and hybrid abnormal or, I wonder, just my taste in tube amps overshadows the hybrid. There was definitely something between the two going on I really didn't like. I did not try cranking up the knob while using the hybrid. I will experiment more but first I have to finish my pedalboard amp top contraption. This one is being made to sit on my half stack. If it works out I already have a couple of ideas what to do next.

19. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Not as far as I was hoping. I’ve been busy running mom around t doctors but here is a teaser pic of the ruff cut for the sides. Nice solid Baltic Birch 13ply.

1F7AD522-BF87-429D-BB39-B6E37551F759.jpeg

Zeek likes this.
  20. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

So far, so good. I do agree that taking care of mom is #1 priority.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.