Pedal labels that drive you crazy

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by DaddyDog, Jul 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Or functions (or lack thereof).

A pedal for sale on another forum had the knobs EMISSION and SPECTRUM. What the heck is that? Also, I once bought a pedal from a boutique builder that always got raves. When the pedal arrived, it didn't have an LED. It had a stomp switch, but how am I supposed to know if it's on or not when I'm not playing yet?? Apparently this was normal for all of his builds.

So... what drives you bananas?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2020
    Robbie likes this.
  2. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    “Juice”

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2020
  3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I prefer straightforward labeling, myself.

dr. love and Merc like this.
  4. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I don't really care about the labeling but the thing I can't stand about lots of new pedals is the blinding, overly bright LEDs they use. The blue ones really get on my nerves.

5. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Oh, there is a lot. All those fancy names for the knobs. I mean ... on the Big Muffs, the knob you'd usually label as "gain" or "drive" is labeled "sustain" - due to compression and stuff there is a bit of truth in it, but "gain" would have been totally sufficient and somewhat more true ... it actually is the first stage's volume, to get it totally right, which determines to which extent it is gonna clip in the following ones, but "gain" is close enough. "Sustain" is, in my opinion, not. The knob's name is a secondary intent, or an appreciated side effect or so...

Just call it what it is. Simple as that. The pedal itself can have a fancy name (and a lot have), nothing's wrong with that, of course not, but not every single label has to drip of well sophisticated creativity. How it sounds speaks for itself anyway.

Also, something indicating it is on really is useful. I recently bought LEDs, for a few purposes, different colurs ... 100 pieces, 10 colours, 10 each, including shipping cost me 6.25 €. Compared to some pedal's prices, it is pretty hard to believe the budget is that tight. Every cheap pedal I have or had has an LED. Must be some fancying around, to not install one.

DaddyDog likes this.
  6. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I like Tavo's creativity (and this is just El Pescadoro)
    Smoke, Wet, Shallows, Subterranean, Grits, Chitlins, Wooly, Bright

Merc likes this.
  7. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yea, I'm more interested in straightforward labels too. I have a Ubangi Stomp and the labels are Gnar, Carve, Flow. Took me a while to intuitively bond with those but they make sense now. But beyond that, I'm at a loss with some of these crazy labels.

Merc likes this.
  8. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I agree on the El Pescadoro names. When I played it the names seem to fit the sound very well. But for the Ubangi, I have to side with @stevo on it. It took me a bit to get used to it. But aside from that it’s a great pedal.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  9. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    I'm in agreement with the folks who like straightforward labels.

I can deal with labels that aren't straightforward, though. The thing that gets me is when there's a switch or two on the pedal that is not labelled and you have to do internet research to find out what it does.

10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I don't mind a bit of creative word play. I think it's a good sign for the maker to not take his products too seriously.

Henry and Sabato like this.
  11. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I'm with you on that! I don't have a pedal with a blue LED, but I do have a small Behringer mixer with one. You can't read anything within three inches of it. It's like looking into the sun! Blue masking tape to the rescue!;)

I agree on the straightforward labels on pedals, too. Or at least include a leaflet that explains what each one is til you get used to the weird names.

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  12. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts

Jeff67 likes this.
  13. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I'm crackin up.. yes, guilty. Got carried away and I tend to defy the norms at every point in my life. My wife is the beige, no bling, milk toast, middle of the road type of individual while I'm all over the place :) I have settled down though with the pedal control labels. I've been listening. "get to to the chorus dolores, and dont bore us".
    On my favorite overdrive; the Fluid Drive. I did label everything just the way it should be, but I reversed the pot controls on the bass and treble :) Not to be obstinate but rather to allow a better range of control over the span of the control.

in any case, the METASONICS BUTT PROBE has to be THE worst labeling on a pedals control ever. I wont even post a picture of the front, just the inside.. enjoy the google :)
    [​IMG]

sgarnett, vyndance, DaddyDog and 3 others like this.
  14. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    What fun is that? As for Metasonics - beware the Aliens.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  15. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Yep- that one's kinda out there...:eek:

16. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I was afraid to google. Thank you for being more reserved than that pedal is. If I had any desire to buy the Probe pedal I think I’d likely paint the thing. But maybe it’s just me as I’m shaking my head.

TV the Wired Turtle and Sabato like this.
  17. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    While I think they look cool, the pedals that use more obscure symbols i find confusing, like on Orange products.

Some Spaceman Effects labels are a bit cryptic as well.

DaddyDog and YouFellowRebels like this.
  18. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I have pedals that don't say anything on them , not that hard to figure out!

19. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I struggle with the confusing and inconsistent labeling of knobs on compressor pedals, even those that claim similar levels of functionality. Compressors are hard enough to understand without all the loose terminology.

20. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    If you can’t hear if a pedal is on, why use it in the first place? :)

SAguitar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.