Pedal board build

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by JaredmacNeil90, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Ashley1983

Ashley1983 Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    England
    Theres lots of questions before anyone can throw a pedal name….. firstly….what sound you after vintage, rock, indie? …What are you playing lead or Rhythm? …what music you play? …what amp do you use? what guitars? what are the pick up outputs ? What’s your budget?

the only advice anyone can give you before any of this info is the tuner.. Polyphonic 3 very good and great live!

I find pedals such a personal thing that you really need to do your own research on before pulling the trigger and you always end up kissing a couple of frogs before you settle on what is right for you.

you in a band

lots of questions before you can start throwing out answers

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I think that's the case w/ any piece of gear to be honest, regardless of what someone says they're looking for or what's been recommended to try by who. So many gear, mix, & venue variables w/o even getting into the difference of what you're looking for vs. how you describe it vs. how someone reading your description reads it.

It's definitely a journey finding the stuff that you're going to like at any given time for any given situation. I usually only give examples of stuff that I've liked & could be worth a try w/ (hopefully) the implicit understanding that everyone's looking for their own thing & are more often than not working w/ different circumstances visa vis the other stuff they're going to use it w/ & how.

3. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I’ve been thru a lot of ODs and I’ve settled on a BD2 1st as a light od and a nobles for the more dirt. Both together work as a boost, or there is always the Mystery Brain at the end of the chain for a bit more.
    On the rare occasions I play heavier stuff I add a Russian Pickle after the nobles.

GlenP likes this.
  4. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    First I’m not in a band lol just kind of like collecting and playing with friends but might try playing a few worship service after the board is done.

I don’t have a set style of music really I like to play some worship stuff “newsboys - gods not dead , mercy me -I can only imagine and recently I think they are call elevator worship “

I like some pop music too “ savage garden-too the moon and back, Chris issac -wicked game, one day, the calling - where ever you go”

country “ zack brown band -walking away, any thing statler brothers I’d try lol, hank snow , enerst tub”

and occasionally stuff like the artic monkeys.

my amps are 74 fender twin reverb and 79 Mesa boogie mark 2a

my guitars are as followed
    Walnut thinline telecaster with vintage wound alnico 2 and 3 staggered winding

and a guild starfire with tv Jones classics

budget I’d like to keep things around $250 -$300 cad $200–$240 usd maybe a little more for example a strymon timeline I’d justify spending $420 cad if I have the cash . This is a long term project but I’d probably grab a od or tuner next . The poly tune looks promising and the dirty Shirley really peaks my interest.

GlenP likes this.
  5. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    The od is trouble sum because the only od I actually tried and liked was the digitech bad monkey it’s really the only pedal I wished I’d kept because you can’t get them now . Ultimately I’d like to find one like that

6. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    I have tried the bd2 but I don’t have a real experience since the pedal was more than the amp . Now I’m running two 1970s American tube amps lol so I think the results might be a little different

Pine Apple Slim likes this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I don’t play out and travel to much to play with anyone. Never in one place long enough to really get involved. But I have played with a few friends a few times over the years. I can honestly say I went the inexpensive pedal route then a bit more expensive then came completely unhinged and loaded up on Nocturne and some Strymon and Source Audio and can honestly say for pre amp, OD, or drive whatever you call it the Mystery Brain, Jr Barnyard and El Pescadoro as expensive as they are will never be replaced. They are my keeper pedals, I could see maybe having a second Mystery Brain someday just because. For the the Seltzerado, Fuzz Ray, are here forever! The Ubangi gets the job done but isn’t used to often for me it is everything a rat pedal should have been.

Sadly when you get to effects this all goes out the window. It seems wether I have a GC or not I want another different flavor just because I really like messing around with them.

So, @JaredmacNeil90 beware you have taken the first steps down a very slippery slope and there is no way back up that hill!
    Just go look at the show us you pedal board thread!

Waxhead, gtttrrr and JaredmacNeil90 like this.
  8. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    I
    I’ve taken that step once I started modding my guitars it’s an never ending cycle of change

Bertotti likes this.
  9. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I read this and think of those who fall down the rabbit of of not being satisfied until they get the "exact" tone of their guitar idol. That's a bit easy for me chasing Stevie Ray or Johnny Winter's non-slide tone from the late '80s to his passing. But for David Gilmour disciples? There is no end in sight.

I'm a huge Gilmour fan but use his tones as an influence vs. trying to copy it. No matter what websites or video clips one sees, it really will never happen. Just the hemming and hawing of Gilmour disciples bickering over how many BK Butler Tube Drivers they need is ridiculous. And the crazy thing is there is a 'tube player that plays excellent Gilmour material with simple pedals like the Blues Driver, RAT, chorus and of course the right pickups....of course the right pickups helps and a P-90 equipped LP vs a Strat-type loaded with hot Seymour Duncans will more than do the trick. For just the Pink Floyd Division Bell recordings and tour, Gilmour had a few different pedal boards with an array of at least 5 tube drivers.....3 BK Butlers, a Seymour Duncan blues driver, Boss BD-2, and then the boost from compression and his EQ pedals.

Gilmour used multiple pedal boards with the sum of pedals used exceeding 20 for an album! Then there is all the mixing and producing once the tracks are recorded.....Crazy! I just use this as an example but I just know tones that I like when I hear it. I know what I want to create but now am finding economical ways to create tones that really partner with the song.

It is fun though sampling the tons of pedals out there and admit I've been challenged these last 5 months in not abusing the power of the credit card........and I've still ended up with 4 new pedals and a power supply in just the last 3 months! I'm having fun though!

Bertotti likes this.
  10. Ashley1983

Ashley1983 Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    England
    I have recently gone through something similar and had a complete clear out of gear and started again after reviewing how I want to sound for my new recordings / album

The pedals that I own and recorded with are

- Aclam Dr Robert (Beatles Revolver tones) OD
    - Wampler Tumnus (sounds great with a Vox very transparent smooth drive) OD
    - Keeley Vintage Chamber Reverb (always on pedal that is from the Camber reverb of Studio 2 at Abbey Road)
    - Keeley 30ms Double Tracker (I love this effect! Some great modes in Abbey and Dimension mode)
    - Boss TR-2 Tremolo (for me this is THE great go to Tremolo)
    - Danelectro ? (does a Leslie type sound) had it for 10 plus years

The pedals that I like but wouldn’t use enough to warrant the purchase

- JHS Crayon / Colour Box OD to Fuzz
    - Janglebox compressor
    -MXR Microamp (good if you need to up output of different pickups)
    - El Capistan tape delay
    - New MXR Tremolo

good luck with your search

JaredmacNeil90 and GlenP like this.
  11. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I pretty much just play at home since the world ended. Im running a 40w Carr Rambler w/spring and trem and a 72' 48w SF Bassman head/homemade open back cab & Weber Cali 15" wet/dry.
    With that rig I gotta play too loud for my old sensibilities for any light amp break up to speak of, so the BD2 performs that function. I like the eq curve and character of the compression on the Nobles ODR-1 for a heavier OD tone.
    But theres plenty of other ODs Ive tried and liked,Ive just settled on these 2 for now. The Fluid Drive is great. I like the Catalinbread SFT. The Boss OD3 is really close to the BD2 for my purposes as well. I like my Joyo American and California Sounds, use them mostly for direct recording but they make decent OD pedals as well. . I like my Joyo Sweet Baby(Sweet Honey clone). Have a little Moskey MM Silver Mini that's really good. Also a Tumnus and a Soul Food that are both very usable.
    I have a Plumes but I cant seem to jive with the Tubescreamer thing, other than for a simple vol boost. But Im not a Strat guy, Strat people seem to really love TSs. Also guys who run amps with distortion like em to boost the amp. If you wanna go that route the Plumes is a good one, has a switch for 3 different eq settings plus the tone knob.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.