Pedal board build

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by JaredmacNeil90, Oct 4, 2021.

1. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    So I’ve officially started my pedal board

Tuner-NA
    Volume-NA
    Compressor- keely compressor plus
    1st over drive-NA
    2nd over drive - NA
    1st Delay- EARTHQUAKER Spiral space
    2nd delay- NA
    Reverb- strymon flint
    Tremolo- strymon flint
    Chorus- NA

right now all three have been shipped out and I’m just waiting on the arrival .

the rest are up in the air for the time being and there’s a lot of pedals to explore all though I’m half what Thinking on doing an od + boost stack instead of two od pedals anyone with experience with that approach?

mrfixitmi likes this.
  2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Sounds interesting.

mrfixitmi and JaredmacNeil90 like this.
  3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I do a boost & an OD on most of the guitar setups. I tend to use them more often to goose the inherent character of the amp's breakup rather than totally take over dirt duties from it but that can be good too w/ the cleaner amps. I think my favorite pair so far for pushing an amp w/ a dynamic attack & some additional neutral clipping & level that works w/ just about any combo of guitar & amp I have tried w/ it is a Brain & the Spaceman Saturn IV Harmonic Booster. I've run it more w/ the Brain in front of the Saturn IV. After works well too & has more of the "Abby" dynamics I think but I think the Saturn IV breaks up nicer w/ the brain feeding it.

Space Spiral is a cool sounding one IMO as well as the Flint. I tend to like an analog delay for shorter earthier sounding delay after the Space Spiral myself.

I tend to go for the analog chorus sound myself, but I haven't wound up using itmuch outside of dinking around.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  4. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Country Gent

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    You might consider putting the chorus before delay/reverb…

NJDevil and JaredmacNeil90 like this.
  5. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    Yeah someone told me about that so I took note . Thanks , I’ve always doable with pedals but only one or two at a time so this board thing is new grounds for me . So the advice is great appreciated

rockinforJesus likes this.
  6. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    A current project has me finally buying pedals (vs. borrowing them for gigs)......mostly a guitar-to-amp at home for almost 30 years. Now? Big spending spree in 2021 that started in 2020 and will continue thru the new year.

I had to explain the above because there is a method to my madness....current and madness to come. Tone? Going for blues genre....Texas Blues, swing, chimey when needed like T-Bone Walker, and heavy David Gilmour tones.

Many boosts and many overdrives. I currently play a J. Rockett Blue Note into the Vertex Steel String Supreme. ......overdrive/distortion(Blue Note) --> Boost (Vertex). My wildcard is the Catalinbread RAH....it's more Jimmy Page emulation but isn't hard to expand past that.....very unique but recently discovered (by accident) the Blue Note pedal does Zeppeln better than the RAH.

Other thoughts amongst many: Fulltone OCD or JHS Bonsai into a clean boost like the J. Rockett Lenny.

Not sure what tones you're chasing but the Keeley Monterey is maybe my best purchase but I have a lot more to explore.

I'm currently looking at the Pro Co RAT distortion pedal but trying to avoid owning many pedals where the functionality overlaps. I like the tone paired with some simple chorus(Ibanez mini or the small Mooer) and compression(I have not grabbed a compressor).

Anyway, I hope my thinking/writing "outloud" has provided some ideas but I'm thinking the following:

I like the following I've used (before recent spending spree): Compressor(Keeley/CS-2/Dynacomp) -- tube driver (TS9/BD2/Blue Note) -- Distortion (RAT,OCD, etc...) -- Delay (I have the Echorec) -- Univibe (a little for rotary effect -- Chorus

mrfixitmi likes this.
  7. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    You bring up a great point, NJD.

With some pedals, it’s easy. I have one Phase Shifter, and there’s no reason for a second. The same goes for many pedals. I have a Boss Waza Craft CE-2, and for my purposes, it couldn’t be improved upon. I have a Boss TR-2 Tremolo which I use on those rare occasions when I’m not using my Winfield Tremor amp (which has the best onboard tremolo I’ve ever heard).

Reverb and Delay are a bit murkier; I tend to use a Plate Reverb pedal , except for hardcore Surf, in which case I use a Spring Reverb pedal. Delay is either a Boss Waza Craft DM-2 delay, or my Stanley Blue Nebula, which has numerous delay emulations.

But Overdrive, Distortion and Clean Boost are very broad subjects. Guitarists have more ways to describe overdrive than Alaskans have worked to describe snow. :) Keeping in mind that I do not use heavy distortion, I have broken it down to three levels.

Clean Boost: A Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso works for me. It’s an FET based preamp with but a single control for level. It will put an edge on your signal and can be abrupt, but it’s at its best as a simple volume boost which, due to its FET circuitry, retains a bit of elasticity. Rarely used, but a great pedal.

Overdrive Lite: In the beginning, was the Dumble Overdrive Special, and these sound great. Of course, you could buy a very loaded 3/4 Ton 4x4 diesel pickup for the price of a Dumble, so it’s no wonder that a lot of effort went into building pedals.

In the second beginning was the Centuar Klon; a pedal that has a fervent following and an original can sell for over $5,000, so it’s no wonder that there are all sorts of Klon clones out there.

The EHX Soul Food is a great example and modestly priced. If you stay in the lower end of the drive range, the Soul Food goes about its work in a subtle manner, and you can barely tell that it’s on, but it works to take the edge off of your signal and gives your amp the response of an amp just on the feather-edge of breakup. IMO, the effect of this pedal, in its lower operating range, is more felt than heard. It’s like having a limiter, without the artificially boosted sustain of a compressor.

As you crank the Soul Food to higher gain levels, the character changes, and in the upper half of the range, the sound gets a bit ratty. It’s not a sound I’m inclined to use, but it is one that might be useful for many people. It’s definitely overdrive with an edge, and would fit for a lot of music.

The other Klon clone I own is the MXR Sugar Drive. I would say that this is a bit more subtle in the lower range, than the Soul Food, but it’s a very pleasant and useful sound. While the Soul Food is more than content to stay out of the limelight, the Sugar Drive makes its presence known. It’s a very useful sound, but is heard more then felt; just the opposite of the Soul Food.

When operated in the upper half of the drive range, the Sugar Drive sounded thin and reedy, to my ear. Once again, this isn’t a sound I would find useful.

Overdrive Not So Lite: In the ‘60s, it seems like most of what I heard on records was distortion, and in most cases, the dynamics were limited. Then, in the ‘70s, I noticed that I was hearing a guitar sound that seemed more like the natural overdrive of an amp. In some cases, that’s exactly what I was hearing. Terry Kath of Chicago used an amp made from Bogen PAs and, while it was heavily overdriven, his solo on 25 or 6 to Four seemed to really breathe.

Back in those days, I could barely afford an amp, and didn’t have any pedals, but I kept an ear cocked. Santana was another artist that used overdrive in a way I found pleasing to the ear, and by the mid ‘70s, I was hearing some great sounds. For my tastes, the first guitar solo in the Atlanta Rhythm Section’s remake of Spooky epitomized this sound. Likewise, Queen’s Brian May represented the upper reaches of that sound, with an elasticity that added much to the feel and a nearly perfect unpredictability that would allow the odd harmonic to go tight over the top.

A while back, I sought to find a pedal that did this well, and settled upon a Boss pedal which is somewhat obscure, but certainly effective, the OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion. I use the Overdrive pretty much exclusively, and it does great for the Atlanta Rhythm Section sound.

With the knob panned over to the Distortion side, the sound is recognizably similar, but more compressed and less dynamic; not really my cup of tea. However, this is definitely a useful sound and certainly popular.

The other classic Overdrive I’m known to use is the Boss SD-1, SuperDrive. This was my first attempt at finding a more heavily overdriven sound that I liked, and it delivers well. The SD-1 features asymmetric clipping, which results in a sound which can be very dynamic.

This pedal is one of the least expensive in Boss’s catalog, and a true bargain. It’s probably not for everybody, but it’s surprisingly good and is quite dynamic if you are going for the lower end of the Drive control.

There are certainly many more options than this, and these pedals are a reflection of my tastes, but I hope to have cast a bit of light with this info.

mrfixitmi and NJDevil like this.
  8. dlew919

dlew919 Country Gent

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    The best chorus I have is the TC 3rd Dimension...

thunder58 likes this.
  9. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Great rundown, plenty of good info here. I have ALWAYS wanted to nail the sounds of the solos in “spooky” , “mid-sqwank” for days! Haveta look into your recommendation

10. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Best pedals, favorite pedals, what to put where and in what order ... that topic's a bottomless rabbit hole! It's mind-numbing all the available choices these days.

I've been thinking a lot lately about putting together a new board too, and for me the real point of confusion is the board part of it. What do I want to mount all these things to? And because I like to run a stereo rig, with different pedals to each amp, I probably really should have two of them. I keep looking at one thing, then another ... everything's got something good about it, and then something bad. I'm still waiting for that "perfect" discovery!

In the meantime, all this junk is scattered all over the floor, just like in the Old Days. Which isn't necessarily bad - you could even make the argument that unless you're actively gigging, you don't even really need the board part. But every time I look at them, I think about it.

Anyway, something to consider when you're building your pedal collection... How it's all gonna fit on the board, and what to get for that.

Good luck with it!

Below: The Old Days!

hendrix-rig-2.jpg

NowEarThis, mrfixitmi and new6659 like this.
  11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That Boss OS-2 is a gem hidden in plain sight. I actually was planning on buying a different pedal, but when I tried one of these, just on a lark, I was sold. This pedal loves the AB 763 Fender circuit, but also works well with other amps.

gtttrrr likes this.
  12. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    RE: Vol & Tuner, if you need to conserve space, there is a combo:
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ernie-ball-vpjr-tuner-volume-pedal/l73158000002000

playing outdoors last summer I found that the display is quite visible in bright sunlight, unlike some of those little clip on headstock tuners.

also, it has an FX loop so you can volume swell your OD pedal with the desired level of grit, or use it in line so the Vol pedal is also like a gain stage itself, the FX send/return loop gives you the option.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    mrfixitmi likes this.
  13. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

On the affordable side of the pedal market, I have a few recommendations.

The Joyo Tai Chi is their Dumble drive, fashioned after the Zen drive.

The Joyo American Sound, fashioned after the Tech 21 Blonde. It does have its own voice, it compresses and has a speaker emulator, which into a Fender sounding amp, can be fairly transparent.

And finally, the cheaper, but entirely functional pedal board.
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=625869

This is the big daddy. I crammed 14 pedals on mine, including a Wah.

mrfixitmi and GlenP like this.
  14. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

I've almost given up on avoiding this, simply because I'm fond of a sound and I just want a couple of gain levels added to that foundational clean tone. So, the drives ends up overlapping, but stack nicely. Interestingly, it was the cheaper drives that beat out pedals such as, the Rook, the bd-2 blues driver and the Soul Food.

15. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Ohhh I like that! Been wanting to get a board for my son,,, this is it!

J Bird likes this.
  16. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    And the Joyos are big bang for the buck, fan of those!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    GlenP and J Bird like this.
  17. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I definitely understand and I think Synchro's post says it all on how/why it is so hard to avoid. Choices have expanded and their are certainly differences in tone.

I use break-up a lot but "overdrive" vs. "distortion". Tons of choices and overlaps are bound to happen....especially when you discover a new pedal provides what you want in addition to the tone of another pedal already in the stable.

J Bird likes this.
  18. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I have the least drool worthy petal board on the internet. I recently replaced my CE-1 chorus with a new one that's smaller and runs on batteries. Other than that I haven't bought a new pedal in over 20 years.

The one piece of advice I can give you is get one of the rechargable power supplies. No ground noise and no power cable to run. I've never had one fail but I have two and bring both just in case.

[​IMG]

19. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Ultimately, I strongly prefer the natural overdrive of an amp working hard, but in reality, that’s rarely possible. Just as there are any number of amps out there, with a variety of overdrive characteristics, there are even more overdrive pedals out there, and each has their own character. I’m astounded by the number of choices available.

J Bird likes this.
  20. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I'm with you 100%. I love the distortion my Tech 21 amps provide....both the the 30 and 60w. It retains the resonance one would like and is helped even more by dialing in the amp's built-in quality spring reverb at 9:00 or 15% to 20%. With my Black Phoenix, it dials in the ZZ Top "My Head's In Mississippi" tone exceptionally well. Metallica? It can get there too and is a nice touch with an LP. I really like it a lot more than most pedals out there.

The distortion on my Roland Blues Cube Artist provides a bit of break up and that is it so I finally pulled the trigger on the J. Rockett Blue Note. It's got the gain for distortion but really has character at the breaking up the "driven clean" tone. Very "Bluesbreaker-ish".

A lot of pedals do have their own flavor though and like the MXR Sugar Drive and Catalinbread 5F6 to name a few. At the price point plus chorus, I might got out and grab a RAT........although this also brings "the fuzz" which I altready have with the Keely Monterey so back to the redundant issue.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.