Pedal advice please! EQ and Comp.

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Randy99CL, Jul 24, 2021.

1. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    It always seemed to me that a post compression eq function would be a good idea to adjust for the non-linear compression -- sort of a frequency dependent "make-up" gain section.

2. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Comp: Boss CS3, MXR etc. etc. can be found around $100 or less used. There are a lot of used compressors in the ~$100 range. But I would suggest doing some good reading and listening to Comps before buying. There are a few different types that each do different things and you might even decide you really don't need one all that bad.

Go here for a ton of comp reviews: http://www.ovnilab.com

EQ: As for EQs, you either love 'em or you hate 'em. But again, you get what you pay for. Many folks use the Boss GE7 which can be found for under $100 used quite often. But they're a bit noisy and I would personally rather have something else. In fact, many EQs are often noisy which is just the nature of what they do as they have a number of amplifiers in them.

3. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yea, I'm not sure where Wampler places the tone control but makes sense.

And some builders will separate into bands that can be compressed separately so you're only lightly compressing the highs for instance. https://www.fealabs.com/products/db-cl/

oneforsorrow likes this.
  4. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    oneforsorrow likes this.
  5. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    So I've been trying to learn about Compression and have found a ton of info. Everything from cheap pedals to studio-quality stuff that is incredibly expensive.

Couple of hours ago this fun new video popped up: SIX COMPRESSOR PEDALS AT THE SAME TIME! - The video no one asked for. #AffordABoard - YouTube

As stated earlier, I don't know yet whether I'll like compression and use it or hate it and blow it off.

Need to explain that I was offered a comp pedal at a great price by a member who tried it and decided to pass it on. Another member had done the same thing, this pedal has been around the block! But it is a decent one (Boss CS3) that will allow me to experiment and see what I like or hate about compression. Thanks G5422T!

Groutsch, Henry, Shadowy_Man and 2 others like this.
  6. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I haven't played a CS3 but from videos it seems to me its pretty much a DynaComp/Ross type with a couple of extra knobs for perhaps a bit more fine tuning. In my experience these type compressors are good for a couple of things:
    1. Classic tele chicken picking squash, aka Albert Lee.
    2. As a sustainer for legato lead tones, adding sustain and some tube-like softness to the feel, without adding distortion to the tone.
    I don't think you'll find it subtle enough for other common uses like leveling out your string to string volume for finger style or adding subtle Byrds-like chime to strummed chords. For that you need an optical, or a Ross type with a blend knob to keep some of your uncompressed signal in the mix.

7. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    My take, FWIW.

I tried a CS-3 and found it to be a bit unnatural. I’m usually very pro Boss, but the CS-3 didn’t impress me.

Ultimately, I believe that the best way is to try before you buy. I bought my CS-3 sight unseen and sold it shortly thereafter. Since then, I’ve tried a number of compressors and came to the conclusion that I didn’t need one.

A week or so back, I did a mini-review of an MXR Sugar Drive. If I wanted compression, I think that a low Drive setting on that pedal would be more natural sounding.

8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I love my Jangle Box Byrds edition same as the one @thunder58 showed only gold, sounds great but it is an effect to me so not always on and not in your price limit. I will say that I think with compressors and EQs you quite often get what you pay for. Study deeply the reviews and opinions and longevity before making a leap. If I decide to get an EQ it will probably be the eq2 from source audio, looks killer. I just generally don’t have a need for one so I am eq pedalless. None of these are in your budgetary constraints. Worth a look if you bump the budget up. If you bump up tue budget of only one make it the Jangle Box. It sounds great with tue Penguin and it’s Hs Filters. I do t have a 12 string so I can’t comment on that but it is @thunder58 approved! And we all know how he loves his 12 strings!

thunder58 likes this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    FYI I got my Byrds Jangle Box off of reverb for a good price and it was in excellent condition. Actually that is the only thing I have ever bought from reverb.

10. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    There ya go!

11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Compression is not for everyone and the right compression for those who like it varies. That's just my way of saying experience with one compressor is not the same as knowing how all compressors sound.

Someone who dislikes a "decent" compressor may love a "great" compressor. The Boss CS3 may be the only compressor you would ever like. Or it could be the on type of compressor that you would hate the most. If I play the Boss DS-1 and dislike it, it doesn't necessarily mean I would dislike all distortion pedals.

I would suggest ordering a bunch of compressors from a retailer with easy return policies. I tried 4 (Wampler, Keeley, Origin, can't remember the 4th) and chose my favorite among them.

Imo the most important knob on a compressor is a blend /mix (or having separate outputs for dry and wet signals).

Best of luck!

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  12. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I agree, a wet/dry mix knob is really important for getting a natural attack with compressors.

I am one of those people that uses it all the time. I actually have two - a JHS Pulp n Peel (based on the Orange Squeezer compressor). It's good for full frequency compression (it doesn't cut out the low end), I use it for moderate compression, evening out the sound and also enhancing the sound. Compression brings out the harmonics inherent in your guitar's tone, which is mainly why I use them.

The other is an MXR Dyna Comp clone, which I use with the comp full up for a very sustainy, squashed sound. Great for country style playing. To me it sounds like a clean fuzz pedal. Like you get all that squash and sustain, but without the distortion. It's like a special effect.

I haven't tried optical compressors or JFET-based compressors. It's on my to-do list.

Groutsch likes this.
  13. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I had a Barber compressor with a mix feature on it. I don't know why I let go of it but it was probably early in my compressor days and probably just wanted to try out others. It was a good unit and if the OP finds one at a good price, I would certainly recommend.

I'm very interested in the Pulp n Peel. I have a Hartman which is an orange squeeze reproduction and it has this great dip and swell thing that's really cool for rhythm parts - imparts energy to chords.

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  14. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I think they smoothed out the dip and swell thing on this version. I believe some of the earlier Pulp n Peels had it. This one is more of a smooth fat compression without too many artifacts. I'd be interested in trying out an OG style Orange Squeezer based on your description though!

15. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yea, it's effecty in that way and I'll keep it.

Shadowy_Man likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.