Pedal advice please! EQ and Comp.

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Randy99CL, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Some may have noted that I love my Fender Mustang modelers and talk them up whenever I can. I've stated that they have tons of pedals built in but I've realized that sometimes it is best to still use a real pedal. No surprise for most of you.

I broke the ice when I bought a fantastic D'Addario tuner pedal because it is easier to use than the tuners in the amps (bigger, better, faster, more accurate display) and mutes the input when I want to switch guitars, a huge benefit.

So now I want to get a 7-band (or higher) EQ just because it can have such a huge affect on the sound and will be fun to play with.
    I think a compressor will be an always-on option for me, especially recommended with the 12-string.

I don't want to spend more than around the $100 range for each of these but see the cheap imports for less than $50. I've watched a number of Comp reviews and many don't seem to have much effect.

Can anyone recommend an EQ and Comp that are good value for an entry-level player?

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Personally I never cared for EQ pedals so I got nothin'

Randy99CL likes this.
  3. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Synchromatic

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    My experience with people I know personally who have used EQ pedals, is they tend to do more harm than good (though....you might be the exception)....in fact that goes for more than just guitar.....I've known people who purchased expensive eq's for their home stereo system....and promptly made it sound worse ;-)

I'm kind of in the market for a compressor pedal.....the two I keep coming back to are Keeley's Compressor Plus, and the Wampler Ego....but...I haven't pulled the trigger yet, and can't really give you a first hand experience.

Randy99CL likes this.
  4. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    True words! I do have experience with 10-band EQs in home systems and band PA gear and know you have to be careful and precise, a little change can go a long way and it is very easy to make the sound worse and sometimes hard to find the sweet spot again.

The pedal is just for experimenting and it's cool that you can A/B the sound with the switch.

5. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Rich, what was that comp pedal in another thread that was especially for the 12-string?

thunder58 likes this.
  6. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I bought one of the cheap pedals for my board and love it. It helps when the (perception of?) tone changes from day to day, i use it sparingly, but lately, its always on. When playing alone i use it to fatten up the bottom end cleanly, and easy adjust when jammin with a bass player.
    Great way to spend $50

9C687A71-DFAC-4D17-A174-63976747A12C.jpeg

Randy99CL likes this.
  7. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    You're thinking of the Janglebox . It'll take the 12 to the next level , believe me . I've upgraded to the Janglebox JBX

Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 8.50.49 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 8.51.09 PM.png

Bertotti and Randy99CL like this.
  8. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    @Randy99CL , BTW , you can't go wrong with either one

Randy99CL likes this.
  9. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    I haven't done much with EQ, though I think it can help in specific situations to compensate for tonal eccentricities of particular pickups, amplifiers, or rooms. I've also heard of people using EQ pedals as tweakable boost pedals. I think there's a Boss equalizer that has an overall level slider that's separate from the frequency-specific sliders, so it makes a good gain control.

Compressors are fun because they even out my picking and make me sound like a better guitarist. I have a few different compressors and each has its own flavor. The two I've used most recently, which are sitting on the floor now, are a Boss CP1X, which smooths out my fingerpicking, and a Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone Germanium Gold, which combines compression and distortion to simulate a big overdriven amp at low volumes.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    thunder58 likes this.
  10. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    The best regular EQ I know of is the Whirlwind Perfect Ten. But, it's also twice what you want to spend (and worth every penny). Or if you're totally crazy and want programmable EQ profiles to mimic different pickup types and responses as the first element in your effects chain like me, there is the Free The Tone PA-1Q. OF course, that's four times what you want to spend but you'll never buy another EQ.

Comps...it really comes down to this. Do you want coloration or not? VCA or FET based comps like the Ross, Orange Squeezer, etc are going to provide tonal coloration. I love them (especially expanded Ross types) for what they can add to the signal. Optical based compressors are typically much more transparent and don't add much if any coloration to the tone, they just provide transparent compression. Compressors are all over the map as far as what they do and if and how people like them. You just have to try a handful, or do it the easy (and perfectly legitimate) way and pick up a Boss or MXR and be done with it.

11. dlew919

dlew919 Country Gent

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    The thing with eq pedals is you don’t have to spend a lot on them. They do the job. So a danelectro fish snd chips does the same job as a boss eq. The boss is sturdier, but you’re not clicking on the eq as much (unless you use it as a boost). I’d get a cheap one and see what you think.

As for compressors, the ones I have are an mxr Dyna Comp, boss cs3, mooer yellow pedal, tc forcefield and a behringer copy of a Ross. I like the yellow Comp best, the the boss, then the mxr. But I like them all a lot. Think about what you want it for. It’s not a boost. It compresses your sound. Takes out high frequencies and low frequencies and flattens your tone. Can add sparkle done right. I love good compression.

12. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    Actually, a compressor should leave the frequencies alone while limiting or boosting the amplitudes of sound waves to even out the loudness of your playing.

Henry, dlew919 and Mogg like this.
  13. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Under a 100 each?

Maybe get a (used) MXR graphic 6 or 10-band. While functionally there are a lot of cheaper pedals out there, the newer MXRs generally have a better S/N ratio(I have a couple of Boss EQs btw).
    As others have said, a little goes a long way. Resist the urge to max out the faders and cut rather than boost.

Compressors, I wouldn’t know. I think they are like Autotune. As long as you don’t hear the effect, it’s good. :)

dlew919 likes this.
  14. dlew919

dlew919 Country Gent

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    whoops. Thanks for that.

15. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I,ve had a cheap plastic Berringer eq for a long time but never use it much because it’s noisy. Don’t know if they are all like this but this one is, even disengaged.
    I recently got a Boss eq and it’s quiet enough, about the same as any other Boss pedal. I’m using it as a tweakable lead boost after my od. Best pedal I’ve used for this because I can tweak it depending on which amp, guitar, pickups, and OD pedal I’m using at the time.
    Comp is a big rabbit hole that can get really expensive or not depending on your needs.
    1. Basic chicken pickin-a good ol mxr Dyna comp works just fine.
    2. A mild taming of string to string dynamics for finger style-an optical comp. I like my Diamond Jr. but I have a cheaper little Hotone mini pedal that works about as well.
    3. Next step up for either of the above-a comp with a blend for your dry signal.
    4. The ultimate do it all studio quality comp, get a Cali76, but but be prepared to make your wallet a lot lighter.

Groutsch likes this.
  16. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Unless it's a multi-band compressor, it very well may alter the frequencies that arrive at the amp. The lower frequencies carry more energy and will likely be the first to pass the threshold and thereby trigger the compressor. In doing so, the higher frequencies are ducked before reaching an amplitude that would render them as audible as the lower ones making it sound as though they've been attenuated. It's part of the reason I've never been able to dial in a compressor pedal to my liking. Although, a friend in town for a gig has been telling me about the Jackson Audio Bloom and I'm going to give it a try later today. He swears it does something magical to the articulation. Can't wait!

17. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Correct. Compression isn't about compressing in the frequency domain, it's compressing in the amplitude domain. This being said, some compressors aren't terribly linear.

oneforsorrow and Groutsch like this.
  18. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    That's a good description. A lot of tones that you hear when you pick a note are super short and can get cut off if the attack setting on the compressor is too quick. Essentially, the compressor is attenuating transient highs and not letting them ring through as one would like.

But some compressors are amazingly linear - Rothwell Love Squeeze and Diamond Optical come to mind. Unless you set these two with a lot of compression, they have no loss of highs or lows. You just get very good sustain.

If you really want transparent, I think the Origin Cali 76 Tx (or even the non Tx version) is pretty impressive.

oneforsorrow and Groutsch like this.
  19. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Most Dynacomp/Ross style compressors do cut bass and some highs usually. But not all compressors do this.

stevo and Groutsch like this.
  20. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    For sure. Ross variants (MXR, classic Keeley etc.) seem to have that tendency although some builders like Wampler have tone controls and blend controls to help with that.

Shadowy_Man likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.