Pau Ferro fingerboard seems dry

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by nickurso, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Runamok

Runamok Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Sounds like an experienced luthier sort of question.
    And not a pressing one for you...

Maybe go to the guitar manufacturer & ask them?
    They have a stake in your being a satisfied customer & should thus be eager to answer with the very best answer to your satisfaction. The answer might be revelatory. (Of course, they’ll have their own branded product).

Market Research
    If it doesn’t feel right to you, it might require a different guitar!!!
    We buy new guitars for the vaguest reasons & this one should convince your significant another a new one needs to be added to the stable as well as any. ;)

In digression: my latest new guitar arrived reeking so pervasively of what I think was linseed oil (maybe Olive? o_O) that after a week or two I had to use a fretboard cleaner to dilute it, in order to plunk around for more than a few minutes at a time. (rosewood fingerboard).

A medium priced species related to rosewood.
    https://www.wood-database.com/pau-ferro/

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    nickurso and YouFellowRebels like this.
  2. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    My Player Series came with a very dry FB. It also wasn't silky smooth so I carefully sanded between the frets (with the grain direction) with 600 grit and then oiled it. It's now very smooth and fast. The color is what it is but the tactile feel is great.

Runamok, emitex and nickurso like this.
  3. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Linseed oil is a good method to finish a fretboard with.

The downside is time needed for the product to correctly dry. It's not a between string change type of treatment. You will end up with a smelly mess, and have another internet horror story.

Boiled linseed oil (BLO) has chemical agents to speed up drying time. Again, not a between string time process.

Raw linseed oil (RLO) is pure oil, with a long drying time. Your guitar will be out of rotation for at least a month, if applied correctly. Drying time is at the mercy of temperature and humidity, and if the oil was applied correctly.

I started this thread to show the process last year.

https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/fretboard-conditioning-project-using-raw-linseed-oil.195316/

End results were to my expectations. Guitars have been in my rotation since, with plenty of playing time, and string changes.

No gumminess, no odor from the fretboards, or in the cases. End results were very nice fretboards with zero issues, but it took time to do it correctly. They feel, play, and look great, but this is not a process most people would do because of the tine involved, and the misinformation about what linseed oil will do to a guitar neck.

After some play time and a few string changes, I did use F-One on these necks between a string change for the heck if it.

No issues, no gummies, no problems. Just a clean, good looking and feeling fretboard.

I highly recommend F-One for an outstanding between string change cleaner/conditioner, based on my results with my necks, linseed oil finished or not.

Just sharing some experiences that I've had working on fingerboards with a few different products

WARNING: No guitars were injured in any way during this process. LOL

YouFellowRebels and nickurso like this.
  4. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    This link was helpful thank you

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.