Passing on one of my 6120s to my son

cvr31

Gretschie
Apr 5, 2013
just south of sanity
I've mentioned on this board before that I have problems playing my 6120s as I get older due to arthritis in my hands acting up. The wider and longer neck, and wider string spacing of my Country Club feels much better and doesn't make my hands hurt after 15 minutes. So, I find that I rarely play the 6120s anymore.

I have two 6120s and have decided to pass one on to my 30-year-old son. My father gave me several instruments through his lifetime, including my beloved Martin D35. I have tried to continue this tradition with my own son. I have given him several instruments through the years. He also has my father's Martin D18, who left it to him when he passed away.

I told my son that the next time he comes to my house (he lives three hours away), he can play both of the 6120s, choose which one he likes better, and take it home with him. I feel that is better than it just laying around my house not getting played much. I even told him that I would swap the pickups in them if he liked how one of them played but preferred the pickups in the other.

Anybody else gift or pass on their instruments to their children? It has sort of become a tradition around my house.

Attachments

• IMG_2728.JPG
    IMG_2728.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 34

cvr31

Gretschie
Apr 5, 2013
just south of sanity
All jokes aside , thats a wonderful thing you've done . I often wished that my children would have picked up any instrument let alone a guitar .
I often do give guitars away to veterans to an organization called Guitars 4 Vets

Thanks. My son is a musician, but my daughter is not. Thankfully she and I have other common interests. She drove up from her home in Georgia this week to see me, and she is a huge Betty White fan. I was able to buy the issue of People magazine which celebrated Betty White's 100th birthday on the cover. It was published right before she died, and Betty actually did not make it to 100. I was able to give that magazine to my daughter as a potential future collector's item.

I also think the Guitars 4 Vets is a good program, although I haven't donated to them yet. I have an Epiphone Hummingbird that I may consider giving to them.

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
I have an Epiphone Hummingbird that I may consider giving to them.
Awesome gesture and thank you . It's a great organization and I wish I could be involved with them , but there are no local chapters near me .
I'll just leave it at that / forum rules forbid the promotion of " Contests / Fund Raising / Charities "
Very cool on Betty White . She had such an amazing life . I have a few magazines from when Les Paul passed away

DougWheeler74

Synchromatic
Jul 10, 2019
NE Wisconsin, US
We shall see. I currently have enough for each grandkid.... Two daughters, both occasionally dabble with acoustics but one is more of drummer and one is in the piano player/singer area. They do float though. However, at this time they both have young children which consumes time and energy. (in a good way - Didn't play much in those years)

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
@cvr31,

That is one of the best ways to keep your Father's legacy alive, by following with the tradition. This is not only a common bond, but demonstrates a mutual love for music, which can be priceless.

To answer your question, yes I have passed down several instruments to my son "the musician". My Father nor my Mother were musicians, however my Father did pass down some of his tools when he retired as a mechanic. The most valuable tools were the ones that he made, or tweaked to make the job easier. For me, this is similar to the guitars that I had worked on, the tweaks and fixes were valued because my son's hand me down guitars were different than the ones you can buy off the shelf.

My Grandmother and Aunt were pianists, but played banjo in dance halls to help feed the family. These Banjos were lost through the years, but with the stories I was able to track them down...this took over 40 years to find them. They were beat beyond the term play able. However this made for great Father and Son projects, and my son now plays them regularly for his patients that grew up in the Jazz era.

I am sure that knowing that the Dance Hall Banjos are still used for the benefit of others is making the heavens smile.

DougWheeler74

Synchromatic
Jul 10, 2019
NE Wisconsin, US
All jokes aside , thats a wonderful thing you've done . I often wished that my children would have picked up any instrument let alone a guitar .
I often do give guitars away to veterans to an organization called Guitars 4 Vets

Guitar 4 Vets is a great program. The folk music society that I am part of has donated both money and instruments. I have an acoustic that needs a home, maybe that i where it go... thanks for the reminder.

J Bird

Synchromatic
Dec 2, 2016
Enumclaw
When my grandpa passed away in the mid seventies, my uncle got his first year Gibson ej160 and an equally old Gibson amp. He was a musician as well.

My grandpa's 1930s B&D Silver Bell plectrum banjo remained under grandma's bed for another 10 plus years. At that point, I expressed interest in the banjo and my mom brought it to me, with the condition that I take a lesson.

I seriously doubt that I would be a stringed instrument player had I not taken up the banjo. I took that lesson, but it really was friends, in particular one friend, that played guitar (very well) and got me familiar with banjo and guitar at the same time.

To this day, playing music is my number one leisure activity. I will be forever grateful that I remember my grandpa playing his guitar and banjo and even moreso that he's inspired me to take up playing.

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
I suspect that my two daughters and each grandkid will want a guitar to hang on the wall to remember me . None play guitar. Each granddaughter has a guitar I bought them but they ended up playing other instruments. One plays trumpet and the younger one plays sax and piano.

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
When my grandpa passed away in the mid seventies, my uncle got his first year Gibson ej160 and an equally old Gibson amp. He was a musician as well.

My grandpa's 1930s B&D Silver Bell plectrum banjo remained under grandma's bed for another 10 plus years. At that point, I expressed interest in the banjo and my mom brought it to me, with the condition that I take a lesson.

I seriously doubt that I would be a stringed instrument player had I not taken up the banjo. I took that lesson, but it really was friends, in particular one friend, that played guitar (very well) and got me familiar with banjo and guitar at the same time.

To this day, playing music is my number one leisure activity. I will be forever grateful that I remember my grandpa playing his guitar and banjo and even moreso that he's inspired me to take up playing.
Most here know I was very close to my grandfather . I still wish I had the harmonica I once saw him with

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
I gave a Jim Dandy to the boy and a uketele to the girl, just to mess around with. I'm a big fan of letting kids figure things out for themselves, or not...
She seems to have lost interest, but the boy has taken up bass and jams with friends. In time they'll inherit all my gear whether they want to or not. 😌

Horse Nation

Gretschie
Jun 7, 2022
new york
Boy, when I kick there's going to be a lot of happy people.

I mean that there's going to be a lot of happy guitar playing family members or friends. I have 17 guitars and basses that will be waiting for new homes when I kick. I'm just going to be mad that I won't get to see the battle royale that's going to be had over those guitars. Man, it's going to be a real bloodbath just to see who gets my White Falcon!

Baba Joe

Gretschie
Feb 17, 2010
new jersey
The inheritance ship seems to have sailed here unfortunately. I had hoped to leave my guitars and amps to the kids but the interest has waned. I will hopefully sell most equipment before my demise and maybe leave them one instrument each with which they can decide what to do.

Latest posts