Papa don't preach, but I've made up my mind, I'm keeping my baby-yes, there's Gretsch content

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by StJohn, Nov 12, 2016.

1. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    IMG_0518.JPG i have been trying to sell my 2013 6120 for about 2 months now, mainly to get a better acoustic. It is most definitely not a great time to sell used guitars. This whole time, I would play it and think "why the hell am I doing this?!?" I would have practice and there it would be, beautifully hanging on the wall. Finally I came to the conclusion that I'd be crazy to sell it. It plays better than my GA, and sounds a bit different too. I might change the pickups one day, but this one is staying.

2. blc45

blc45 Country Gent

Aug 23, 2011
    nc
    Wise men say: "Bird in hand is worth two in the bush". Good decision, you will definitely miss it.

3. Congrats. Been there myself many times.

4. Random1643

Random1643 Synchromatic

May 10, 2015
    Upper Midwest, USA
    Yah, maybe it's the universe's way of telling you to it's a keeper.

I've had this happen with 2 guitars over the last few years. Craigslist out here in the boonies is so-o-o-o quiet. Picture that familiar scene from a Western movie where the wind is blowing along a dusty street bracketed by old empty, unpainted buildings. Not a soul in sight, a wooden shutter bangs against the wall of the old General Store, the occasional tumbleweed drifts through. You're on Craigslist in central Minnesota. So after acoupla months I took em off CL. I'm so happy I have both of these guitars! Each has a unique role in my music life; they get lots of play.

5. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I bet things would have been different had you tried to sell the Golden Anniversary. Wanted one for years.

6. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    I made that mistake once before. I had a new one and loved it. Sold it and instantly regretted it. I was selling stuff I had as a kid with intention of funding a Jet, when I found this GA. It was a no brainer, and I'll never make that mistake again!

dilver likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Good move ....

8. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    They make for a handsome collection of Gretsch archtops. I'd keep 'em both.

StJohn likes this.
  9. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    My OCD kicked in with that strat strap, and I had to go straighten it after seeing it in the picture

Joe90 likes this.
  10. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Saved me a trip to Louisiana, 'cause I was about to fly there and straighten it myself. :)

Joe90 likes this.
  11. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Obviously an omen...you have to keep it and learn to love it!!!!

12. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Semi-Related. The chorus of "Papa Don't Preach" is a total ripoff of "Sugar Don't Bite" by Sam Harris, aka the first winner of Star Search, the 80s version of American Idol.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    You got that great Ranger. What more could you want from an acoustic? Glad you did not sell that 6120, friend.

14. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Good for you, beautiful guitar and I'll bet it plays as good as it looks.

15. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Glad you came to your senses, because it's a terrible time to be selling if you don't have to do it. I've got a couple that I regretted trading in this past year for my Taylor. If I had to do it over again, I would pick something else to throw into the deal.

16. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    The rancher is great! I was looking for an orchestra or dreadnought body acoustic to go along with it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.