Panning Tremolos MXR M159 vs Boss PN-2

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by KreepyTeach, Jul 13, 2021.

1. KreepyTeach

KreepyTeach Electromatic

May 27, 2018
    Brooklyn, Ny
    Hey y'all. Been using a PN-2 for a while for stereo panning. Has been great, but always felt something missing. Picked up the MXR M159. The MXR has 18 volt operation. This thing is ill!

Here's a link to a quick recording I made. Check out some of the other recordings I have if you want? I'll take criticisms

Headphones preferred
    Listen to Tremelo Slide 7 by Birds Skip on #SoundCloud
    https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/fAaxD 16261873937687056278988877905944.jpg

2. J Bird

J Bird Synchromatic

Nice sound sample. I'm totally into panning tremolo. If it's too fast, the panning aspect gets lost, that's why I use two tremolos. One is faster, earlier in the chain, the second is slower, wooshier and synchronized at half, a third or quarter the speed of the first.

KreepyTeach likes this.
  3. KreepyTeach

KreepyTeach Electromatic

May 27, 2018
    Brooklyn, Ny

How does the volume change with Trem in the front? Would it also be a stereo Trem, or two independent trems in an opposite phase? My Trem currently sits last in chain after cab sim for a more pronounced effect.

4. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Country Gent

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    I had one of these before I got a Flint.
    Full stereo effect enough to make you sea-sick.

5. KreepyTeach

KreepyTeach Electromatic

May 27, 2018
    Brooklyn, Ny
    Dope; I dig the way that yellow box looked! I actually traded my Fulltone Deja Vibe for a PN-2. At the time I was searching for a stereo univibe. Have no idea that most stereo Tremolos did that ping pong.

rockinforJesus likes this.
  6. J Bird

J Bird Synchromatic

There is no volume drop with my current setup. The first tremolo in my chain is the Supro Tremolo (mono in and out), it's right after drives and before slapback delay and spring reverb pedals (both mono).

My Dr. Scientist Tremolessence (stereo in and out) is last, but for a stereo looper. It has a volume knob to prevent volume drop and a treble knob to prevent tone suck. I frequently check against plugging straight into the amp(s) to make sure that on, or off, there is no volume drop or tone suck. Many tremolo pedals come with one, the other or both volume drop and tone suck.

Another attribute of tremolo pedals is character. The Supro has tons of character, in that it's not transparent, it has a voice of its own. It adds a considerable amount of bass and is driven due to its internal transformer. The Tremolessence has very little character. You can set the volume and treble, but it imparts very little, or no flavor to your sauce.

A previous iteration of my board had the Keeley Dynatrem set to a quite slow dynamic trem (think phaser). The second tremolo would then be set to twice as fast and in stereo.

Another previous iteration had an EHX Stereo Pulsar last. I did really like its panning algorithm, it wasn't just back and forth.

I've never tried two stereo trems in tandem. I'm getting a little seasick just thinking about it.

KreepyTeach likes this.
  7. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    No joke, some effects have made me queasy. I’ve played some Harmonic Tremolo pedals which made me literally nauseated. The real thing doesn’t seem to have that effect on me. I don’t remember which pedal it was, but one of tje pedals I tried was aural ipecac. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.