Pairing Electromatic w Acoustasonic--Thoughts or Experience?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Shagarello, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Shagarello

Shagarello Electromatic

Jul 23, 2021
    Vancouver Island
    Hey all,
    so recently purchased a 2004 g5128t. Has motivated me to consider investing in a decent amp, but perhaps not right away--need time to save up after buying the guitar!

in the meanwhile, though, i'd like to bridge the amp gap with something inexpensive but better (should be easy) than my current 10 watt peavey practice amp. I've been looking around and one amp available to me locally for about $80 CDN is a 15-watt Fender Acoustamatic.

financially speaking, that's not a stretch for me, so long as it is decent. And yes, for sure, I would ask to plug in and give it a whirl before purchasing; but I wonder if anyone has experience along the lines of using a hollow-body electric into an acoustic amp, especially this specific model.

Other relevant points/considerations:
    * I do not gig. 15-watts volume-wise is sufficient (but perhaps larger amps can provide better overall sound?)
    * I do, nonetheless, like the idea of portability--especially in a post-COVID environment
    * My idea of my forever-amp is likely in the range of $350--400 (but i'm in no immediate hurry)
    * Not sure if I will look at a tube amp or a modelling amp. I don't see it going any larger than a 30-watt.

I mention the last point (and sub-point) because I could see myself keeping a smaller, portable amp such as the Fender for travel and such. It does not necessarily become redundant with the eventual purchase of my forever-amp. (yeah, 'forever' can be a misleading term, i know, haha!)

So there's my spiel. Really interested in hearing what other folks have to say, especially about the idea of an acoustic amp fed by a hollow body Gretsch.

Thanks in advance all!

2. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Welcome aboard!
    While an Acoustisonic is really not voiced for an electric (it's more akin to a mini PA), it'll work just fine. As you're not gigging, and play only at home. even 15 watts is on the high side. You'll never need, nor use, a 30 watt amp, While I'm not one for modelling, or a lot of effects, I'd prefer a tube amp with reverb and tremolo, like a Vox AC 10 or AC15, or a Fender Princeton Reverb. Used would be in your price range. Your needs could easily be different. If it's light weight and modelling that you want, a solid state amp might be better for you.
    Best bet is to try out as many as you can. You'll find one that speakes to you.

drmilktruck and CaliforniaSlim like this.
  3. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Congrats on the G5128! I love my red 5129!

I am probably called the "Mustang Guy" behind my back. Whenever someone wants a practice amp recommendation that is not expensive but sounds great I always go to my Fender Mustang LT-25 for $150US new.

It is a modeler so good for newer players with no pedals or tube bias (pun?) and I think some are scared off by the tons of options. With 60 slots for presets there is plenty of room for your creations and it already has 130 voices programmed in (with the free Fender Tone software).
    It is easy to use and program or one can just spin the knob and play with the voices already built in, no programming skills needed.
    Phones out, aux in, USB in/out for firmware upgrades and the Fender Tone software lets you control the amp graphically with your computer. With free recording software (I use Audacity) you can record into your computer.
    25 watts, 8" speaker, mid-sized, lightweight, nothing but great reviews in lots of good videos.

Mustang™ LT25 | Guitar Amplifiers (fender.com)

drmilktruck and GlenP like this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    No, people really call you something else behind your back.
    Your Fender Mustang is a great suggestion.

drmilktruck, Randy99CL and GlenP like this.
  5. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Not sure if the 15w Fender acoustasonic is really that much different or better than your 10w Peavey. Do you need the mic XLR input for vocals? Is there some feature that it gives you that you don’t already have? They both would be suitable as a clean amp pedal platform probably. Nothing wrong with upgrading to that, but if you compare them, what makes the Fender stand out? Do you plan on keeping both? Do you plan to do any home recording? What features are important to you besides quiet practice at home?

6. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    So Slim now I wonder what people do call me behind my back!?! LOL
    I love the Fender Mustangs, just watch the video on the website I linked to and listen to it.

As others have said, those acoustic amps are full-range and clean enough to be a vocal amp but they suck with electric guitars. Too clean, no dirt, so you need pedals to get any decent sound.

Then you are surprised when you find that many single pedals cost more than that $150 Mustang amp. The LT-25 has a bunch of pedals built into it, I just tried to count them but they are nested and it would take too long. Maybe 20+?
    Same with amps, there are at least a dozen Fenders but also all the common brands (with names like '80s Rock) with a pic of a Marshall in the Tone software. Edit: and they nailed the Marshall sound too.
    Electric Love.jpg
    Fender Rock A Billy.jpg
    With the software you just click on the knobs on the amp or pedals and change the settings or turn them on/off. So cool and easy to use.
    I liked this one so much that I bought the Mustang GTX100, the 100w-12" version for playing out. A steal at $500 with tons more amps and pedals pre programmed.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Buying cheap things is more expensive in the long run imo. And I bet it won't sound much better than the peavey

I suggest you save your pennies and spend time trying out and reading about amps and wait til you know what you want and can afford it.

Waxhead likes this.
  8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Similarly I would recommend the Positive Grid Spark Amp.

freddyfingers and Henry like this.
  9. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Whoops posted the wrong clip!

10. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    For just at home, the little Katana Mini can make some pretty good tones! I can pull some good Rockabilly from it and get it into the 80's new wave stuff. The built in delay is subtle, but it's neat to have it there. Batteries go forever!

sgarnett likes this.
  11. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    The Katana 50W V2 can be found used fairly cheap. It has far more capability than I have any need for. One thing I like is how easy it is to just dial up a good sound with the knobs without browsing menus or using an app (though there is a very capable app). Pick a personality (clean, crunch, etc) and twiddle the knobs until it sounds good. The low power modes are great for home use.

I really don’t like needing an engineering degree to operate the amp. I AM an engineer. I spend my days (and too many nights) in R&D, getting down into all the details. I enjoy it, but I prefer to limit the R&D in my R&R. I do enjoy tinkering, but it’s also nice to just plug in and play.

I don’t really want to search through 50 amps models. A few good-sounding basics, a good tone stack, and a light touch of reverb are more my speed.

I agree that the Katana Mini is a great little porch/bedroom/travel amp. It is a great step up from anything with a 9V battery. 6 AAs open up the circuit design options quite a bit. I don’t think it shares anything but a name with the bigger Kats, but it’s light, simple, and sounds great! The delay can be adjusted to serve as reverb.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    swivel likes this.
  12. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I play my Ibanez Jazz Box through an Acoustasonic 40 some times. It's all right.
    Not wild about it, but wasn't wild about any of 3 acoustic amps I've used... Fishman, Roland, Acoustasonic...... they are still SS amps. and a bit boxy sounding for normal guitar....
    If I'm in the mood I take my Deluxe tube amp, but then the Acoustic guitar is harder to control........

13. Shagarello

Shagarello Electromatic

Jul 23, 2021
    Vancouver Island
    This, and a lot of what others have said, is good advice imo. Hung out with a buddy for a week and we rented a couple of amps: a VOX AC15 and a Line 6 --don't recall which model. Loved the VOX, and could see how a modelling amp would work as well.

To answer one of the questions posed, no, i don't need a second in for vocals. No one needs me behind a mic, trust me! ;)

And i think my fundamental question was answered well: an acoustic amp to go with my g5128t is not at all the way to go.
    As far as what I'm actually looking for? Well, as a beginner to amps, that's still hard to define for me. But as someone who has long used tube technology in his home stereo set up, I gotta admit, that VOX tone was simply delicious.

I do have some concerns about the longevity of modelling amps: all too often I hear about the digital side of things going bad after a while. But that's for another thread perhaps.
    The VOX is way out of my price range right now, even used; but I definitely have a good idea of what I might be looking for. In the meanwhile, if I luck into something that's noticeably better than my current practice amp for cheap, I'll take a serious look. Cuz right now, the Samick sounds like cats trapped in a dryer. And at the same time, I'll look for more opportunities to test out different amps and start saving my money!

And finally, yes indeed, it's about doing some online research up front as well. And that, Henry, is definitely something I've already jumped into. I use the internet as a resource all the time. With the right lens and some common sense applied, it is an endless source of worthy information, and I have already gleaned a tremendous amount in the past few weeks.

Thanks all!
    Edit: Changed Peavey to Samick. My practice amp is a 10-watt Samick.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    karol and Henry like this.
  14. karol

karol Electromatic

Dec 27, 2018
    Sydney
    My gig at the moment (both at home and in church) comes in two versions:

1. Acoustic guitar direct to acoustic amp, PA or studio monitors (or unplugged at home too ofc)
    2. Electric guitar through modeller (Boss GT-1000Core) to acoustic amp, PA or studio monitors

This way I can have one amp for all my needs. I'm using Marshall AS50D, but any acoustic amp (aka portable PA) should do quite OK. This setup also gives me consistency, because I only carry my pedalboard with a modeller on it.

What definitely doesn't work for me is playing electric guitar direct to acoustic amp. It delivers some sound - yes. You hear whether that sound is in tune - yes. You can practice and it doesn't hinder your learning - yes. But the tone will lack a lot... And you bought yourself a nicely sounding guitar :D It's me though. My tone is still not the best one could argue because of the usage of a modeller, but it's a relatively small sacrifice for usability.

15. First off, what is a forever amp? Is that like a forever wife? Forever socks? Just wondering. Like any amp, play play play before you buy, if you can. I agree that the Spark has increased my home rehersal time quite a bit, dug to low volume, or headphones, and all the built in sounds, plus built in songs to practice with, not to mention you Bluetooth in a iPad, and anything can be played through it. Loud enough to annoy others, but versatile to save a marriage. It is over what you were looking to spend, but as others pointed out, a acoustic amps is voiced for that. It will function, but it will not project the electric sound that guitar was made for. If its completely out of budget, then try and play as many within your budget until you get your almost forever amp.

16. Shagarello

Shagarello Electromatic

Jul 23, 2021
    Vancouver Island
    Yep, again, this is pretty much the approach. Have done extensive reading already about this amp, which has no shortage of support on the internets. Indeed, forever is a relative term. (Can't remember...did i put quotes around it?!) but all I mean is that it'd be easy enough to move around within amps up to 100-150 bucks, but eventually, I'll want to settle on an amp that I see as being that longterm amp, the one I'm not looking to switch out any time soon. And yes, the more opportunities I get to try amps in the meantime, whether at music stores, through friends, or what have you; the better I'll be able to make that choice when the time comes.
    A plan is in play.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.