Pair filter'tron with a PAF HB?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by navigate40, Oct 23, 2020.

1. navigate40

navigate40 Electromatic

Jul 18, 2020
    FL
    I have the 5220 Jet. Great. Have a pair of Seth Lover PAF HB's coming. The neck is going into a project. Recently put a Gretsch HS filter'tron in the neck of the 5220.

Considering whether or not it might be good to put the Seth Lover bridge HB in the bridge of the 5220, paired with the HS Filter'tron neck.

Has anyone paired a Filter'tron with an HB?

Will a standard HB and ring fit in the 5220 BT BT rout?

Thanks

2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Why not? Might be killer.

3. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Well, a Filtertron is just a humbucker with its own flavour.

Of course it will go. It is just about finding the right match.

Funny that descriptions of the Seth Lover dwell on the "open airy " tone. I would have said that the BT Broadtrons are just that: " a pair of the most open, airy humbuckers out there.
    I'd be more inclined to put them into a Les Paul than put a PAF Humbucker in the G5220.

new6659 likes this.
  4. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

To tell the truth - I've thought a bit about doing just that;)

5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Sure why not. Consider the output; the PAF neck might be a better match at the bridge if those PAFs are louder than the filters.

6. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    The only problem with the idea is that I can't think of a Les Paul at anywhere near the price and quality of the G5220.
    I had a set, have a set, of Burstbuckers which I intended to try in this G5220 when I bought it. I can't see any reason to remove these great BT Broadtrons
    and risk messing up what amounts to the best Humbucker equipped guitar I have had. That includes my G6120T with HS Filtertrons - now sold, and a range of Gibsons.

new6659 likes this.
  7. navigate40

navigate40 Electromatic

Jul 18, 2020
    FL
    Thanks for the replies

I put the Seth Lover neck HB in the cabronita tele I put together. Gretsch filter'tron bridge. Fantastic tone! They pair great together. Ideal.

I did this because I had the G5220, so, thinking no real need to have a tele with filter'trons, since I have the 5220.

Agree, the Seth's would be great in an LP, but, I already have Duncan A II Pro's in the LP....and....also agree....I rarely play the LP, now that I have the Jet.

Put an HS Filter'tron in the neck of the 5220. Like it. Have to assess the bridge BTBT in it. It is sounding a little harsh right now.....probably need to adjust its height and the poles. But, the SL HB could be very interesting in that position.

Wondering if anyone has put an HB straight into that rout? If it is not a direct fit into the rout (rings can be changed), then not worth exploring.

Thanks

8. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Just a related FYI: if anyone is looking to get a PAF tone out of a filtertron-sized rout, you need a Rio Grande BBQ Tron/Texas tron. I just put a set of these in my Cabronita thinline, and they lean Gibson more than Gretsch (and they lean Gibosn quite a bit more than the TVJ offerings of Powertron/P+, which lean Gretsch).

There's a thread here on the BBQ Trons if anyone is interested. 2 of us (forum members) have had them now.

9. navigate40

navigate40 Electromatic

Jul 18, 2020
    FL
    Actually....the BTBT is a keeper. Excellent sound. Just needed to change amps LOLOL

So, now, two really good guitars to play out with. The G5220 and the PAF CAB tele. The only problem with taking the G5220 is that whenever I do...everyone else wants to play it and I don't get it back for an entire evening!

new6659 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.