Paf's for Committee upgrade

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by J Bird, Mar 23, 2021.

1. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

I'm about to select a pair of paf's to replace the original humbuckers in my Committee. There are so many to choose from but the shop that will do the installation has a pair of SD classic blues (alnico 5) that I might go with.

I'm also considering the Tonerider alnico 2.

It's all a bit overwhelming. I'd also like to do coil splitting push/pull and shoot for a quacky single coil middle position.

Any suggestions are welcome. I know many here recommend super/powertrons, but I want to stick to humbucker size paf's.

Thanks

2. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Duncan's have never disappointed me.

capnhiho, nickurso and J Bird like this.
  3. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I agree with that. Either the Duncan’s or the Gibson 57 classics

J Bird likes this.
  4. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Lol, I was very confused for a sec, looked up "Committee guitar" and I first got the Hofner Committee :p
    [​IMG]

J Bird and Marv666 like this.
  5. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    Maybe the Tv Jones PAF Humbuckers?

michelb and J Bird like this.
  6. That’s what I thought.

michelb and J Bird like this.
  7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I know you said no Gretsch-style options but I put a set of PowerTrons in a Committee. Those can be split. Gives you more of the Gibson sound but with some Gretschiness. You can get them in humbucker mount, which is what I used.

J Bird and nickurso like this.
  8. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

I only just recently heard of the Hofner Committee. Mine's a late '70's Gretsch. The stock pickups are humbuckers, maybe Gotoh's. They sound a little hard and muddy, but I always loved it anyway.

I want to stick with humbucker sized pickups for both my eyes and ears. A Filter'tron sized pickup isn't going to fill the cutout in the pick guard and will be off, to my eye. Although I do appreciate the Filter'tron sound, I also like humbuckers and want a good pair. I'm still leaning towards the ToneRiders, as I am a bit of a penny-pincher.
    IMG_20150830_172621_216.jpg

michelb likes this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Get a used pair of Gibson or Seymour Duncan. Anything around 8K-ish.

J Bird likes this.
  10. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Was also thinking Seymour Duncan, he seems to be the PAF guy.

J Bird likes this.
  11. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I like the Probucker 2/ 3 set in my Epi Genesis Reissue. Wired for coil split, and you can find a pair new on the bay for $65 or so, sometimes with the harness and push/ pull pots.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    J Bird likes this.
  12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    If this were a LP forum this would be a loaded discussion. :) So many booteek PAF winders it’s not even funny.
    I like SD cause they are in my budget and they are consistent in quality which to me is worth more than having the latest and greatest.

J Bird and Jeff67 like this.
  13. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I really like the SD antiquities I put a pair in my 80s Explorer (it had EMGs when I got it) and it sounds great!

IMG_2551.jpeg

14. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    A budget would help get some solid recommendations, especially since you said you're a bit of a penny pincher. There are just so many options including countless boutique ones - IMO most not worth it but a few are. The Antiquities noted above are hard to beat. Dimarzio 36th Anniversary models are great....the list goes on. How much are you willing to spend?

J Bird likes this.
  15. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Oof! How much am I willing to spend? I guess I'd top out at $129 each (the price of SD Seth Lover 4 conductor lead).

I've been able to play my friend's Epiphone es Florentine with the Probucker set with coil split. They have a fuller sound than my stock pickups. I'm very hesitant, though, to get those very cheap harness and pickups deals. It could be great, but...

I think the Committee deserves something of better quality and professionally installed.

Thanks for all of your input everyone.

16. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    In that case, you're going to do well with Seth Lovers, Alnico II Pro, or 59 from SD, and PAF 59, PAF Master, 36th (like a 'factory hot' PAF, little more mustard and mids), and maybe even Air Classics from Dimarzio. Hard to beat these especially at Dimarzio prices. These kind of even represent the variance amongst the originals, but you won't go wrong in any case.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    J Bird likes this.
  17. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

I just ordered the Tonerider A2 set from BYOG (still waiting on confirmation email, though).

Now I'm thinking of turning the existing neck tone pot into a coil split blend knob and have the existing bridge tone put turn into a master tone pot. This would eliminate the push/pull element and give me a full sweep from all humbuckers to fully split. Does this sound like a good idea?

The entire harness and components will be replaced as part of the upgrade. Which brings me to the 3-way switch and more specifically the switch tip. The existing tip is quite unique (see pic) and the switch works fine. It has, several times over the years, taken skin off my (exuberant) strumming hand. But like a beloved cat that likes to bite or scratches you while getting pets, I've grown fond of it.

I don't think that there is an exact replacement anywhere, so I have three options.
    1) Keep the 40 year old switch as-is.
    2) Replace with an electromatic switch (and tip).
    3) Replace with a Gibson style (Switchcraft) switch and tip.

Any suggestions out there? 20210427_094359.jpg

18. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

I was starting to get worried that my order didn't go through and then the Toneriders were in my mailbox. I guess BYOGuitar doesn't send out email confirmations or shipping numbers. Why waste time with all that, just send them out, quick.

I decided to keep the original pickup selector toggle, but the rest of the harness will be replaced.

I totally went down the rabbit hole regarding coil splitting. After reading and coming up with a plan, I'd read some more and change my plan. I ended up talking it over with my tech and chose this schematic:
    https://www.fralinpickups.com/2017/07/09/blender-partial-tap/
    It will have a master volume, neck pickup hum-sc blender, bridge pickup hum-sc blender, and a pickup blender pot. So you can be in the neck position, blend in some sc flavor, then blend in some bridge pickup, which can also have some sc blended into it.

I had to read the mod description like three times for me to wrap my head around all of the possibilities. It's a lot to take in, I can't wait to see what she's capable of when it's all done.

19. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I like where you’re going with this.
    They still sell mini 3-way(on/on/on) paddle switches, but if a Tetanus infection is a concern you could consider a regular LP-switch.

20. Mojoman

Mojoman Electromatic

Jan 14, 2019
    Gardena, ca.
    I like duncans or dimarzios for hummers. My fave is kinda old school - duncan JB
    Cool guitar, something different

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.