P90 to Filtertron route adaptor?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Stefan87, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hey Everyone,

I know these have been mentioned on here before but can't find them in a search or on google, who does a mounting ring to mount a dog eared p-90 into a filtertron routed guitar?

I'm not wanting to go down TVJ T-90 pick ups, nothing wrong with those and they sound great but more wanting traditional Gibson sounding P-90's.

Any help is welcome, thanks.

2. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    What I think CAN help, but not sure are P90 spacers?..

are the routes for Filtertrons long enough to get the P90 pole pieces inside that route, thats sticking out on the bottom of the pickup and not hit the body?

[​IMG]

Stefan87 likes this.
  3. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yeah they might work, I can possibly drill and countersink holes in the spacers to pick up on the filter mounts, I think they might be ok with the screws in the routes maybe.

I wonder if the soapbar spacers might work too, I would prefer the look of soapbar ones rather then dogears but owell.

4. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I havent seen soapbar spacers though..

Dont get the lollar shim/P90 spacers as they're thin on the side.. they work well for lifting P90s and they're exactly shaped like that..

get the All parts one as they're thicker on the side and you might be able to drill some holes on there to put onto the body, and then mount the P90 on it and be able to screw it on the top and bottom holes.

[​IMG]

https://www.realparts.com.au/pickup-covers/p-90/p90-pickup-spacers-black.html

However, if your guitar is archtop, it will have some space/gap on the top and bottom of the dogear though.. am I making any sense?

5. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    @dreamingGretsch yeah I don't think soapbars will work for what I want anyway, real parts are not too far from me so might go have a look.
    The gaps wouldn't bother me too much TBO.

6. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Nice!

Yeah, Ive thought a lot about this when I had the chance to buy a 175.. I wanted dog ear P90's so I wanted to see if I can try and get P90 spacers, drill four corner holes exactly where the four holes of the humbucker pickup rings are, and mount them that way, so I wont new holes on top for the P90's.. I didnt push through with it as I got a 330 instead.. but now, if I ever get a 175, Id really mod it and drill P90 dog ear screw holes and make my own 50's version of 175. LOL

update us on how you go about this.. looks like a cool project for you.

Stefan87 likes this.
  7. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Do you already have the dogears? Why not soapbars? Wont you have to drill holes in the body for dogears??
    I did this with soapbars, but it wasnt very elegant: The P90 covers sit on top of some 'Strat to HB' adaptor plates, which required no drilling.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    Stefan87 likes this.
  8. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I would prefer soapbars personally as I don't love the look of dogears, I was leaning towards dogears as they are a bit thinner and didn't want to route the guitar incase I want to put it back to filtertrons.
    Your conversion is pretty clean and I'd be happy with something like that, do you have a any other pictures of how you went about it?

9. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    It was a temporary thing and you can likely improve on it.
    Here's how I held the p90 covers on:
    [​IMG]
    If I kept it that way, I considered gluing the P90 cover to the little plate.

You can buy the plates cheap on Ebay as Mini HB adaptors or even Strat SC adaptors.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/224629765563?epid=1140502003&hash=item344cfa35bb:g:F5cAAOSwRpthVgN~

If you can find some HB plates with no hole in the middle, or a very thin HB cover, you could drill holes to match the P90 pole screws and screw the P90 right to the plate with the two P90 screws.. That would be much better.
    Like these:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/223984823842?hash=item3426892e22:g:pNQAAOSwsFpaNICP

Stefan87 likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Keep in mind the products above are for a humbucker mount which is usually different from a filtertron mount. There are 2 types of filtertron mounts (proline and non) but not sure if the 4 holes for the pickup ring are the same.

Stefan87 likes this.
  11. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Oh this is good! thanks for this info!

Stefan87 likes this.
  12. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yes I am keeping that in mind, it may actually be easier make the adaptor as that's easy, the biggest thing though is the space between the strings and the body, it's a electro jet so there isn't a lot of space which was another reason I was thinking dogears, it's modding the guitar while trying to keep it reversible is the biggest challenge so not wanting to mess with the routes or anything like that.

Henry likes this.
  13. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Tavo (TV the Wired Turtle) put dogears on a Hot Rod- not sure exactly how, but it turned out great! IDK how to tag people in a post, otherwise I'd tag him to get his attention...

Tavo Hot Rod P90.jpg

Stefan87 likes this.
  14. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    @ruger9 : you simply type an "@" and start writing the name you want to tag without space between @ and the name (@TV the ...). It appears as @TV the Wired Turtle

Stefan87 and ruger9 like this.
  15. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Good point, my Streamliner had Blacktops on it, so that is what was on the guitar in my pic before.

I wonder if you couldn't just use Dogear Covers but mount them the way I show using a U shaped little wood block? (and not have to drill holes.) Wide enough to cover the old mount holes?

Stefan87 likes this.
  16. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yeah that might be an option, I might just try and get my hands on both types and have a bit of a play around with it, thanks for sending our diagrams and info through as it gives me ideas to play with.

That looks pretty cool, I'd be happy with that.

ruger9 likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    If you want to mount a FT in a dogear cover(without making 2 holes to fit the dogear cover) you need to make a spacer that accounts for the guitars curved top…
    I reckon someone handy with a 3-d printer could offer a solution for you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.