Output Jack replacement for 6129 Jet

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by bdub415, Sep 9, 2020.

1. bdub415

bdub415 Electromatic

Jun 29, 2020
    California
    Hey everyone. I'm having issues with the output jack on my 6129 Jet. I just had to re-solder a wire that became unattached. If the guitar cable twists while inside the output jack the wire attached to the solder point will also twist (it's hard to explain) and will rip right off if it twists too much. Also, I have a cable that I have to pull out the slightest bit to get working for the gretsch while it works on all my other guitars fine. In summary, I really want to get a new output jack for this guitar this one is a piece of crap. Any recommendations for a good replacement for a 6129 jet?

2. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    capnhiho and wabash slim like this.
  3. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Dunno if this might help-

4. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Is it the socket like jack? Kinda like a tele? If so, it may be due to the jack being slightly recessed. Some plugs with fat housing don't fit well.

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    The jack isn’t the problem, its the twisting of the cable in a jack with a too loose nut. If the jack is mounted properly, it should never turn with the cable. In the case of pulling the plug out for contact, that sounds like the cable doesn’t work with the recessed cup. That or the jack twisted itself in an odd position that doesn’t allow the plug to sit right.

I don’t know what exact model you have, but it’s likely a milled cup that friction fits into the body. The metal to metal contact should have a lock washer to keep the jack from turning. Once you have a lock washer, you can tighten the jack provided the back end (solder joint side) is held steady so it doesn’t twist while tightening. There is an optimal position for the jack, where then wires are free and clear, and the spring contact is open to move without obstruction.

As for the recessed cup/cable thing, it’s either going to be resolved by fixing the first problem, or you might want to switch to a L11 Switchcraft jack. This is the long bushing jack, and gives more clearance for things like a right-angle plug.

MyGirlGretta and section2 like this.
  6. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    bdub,

First of all replace your existing jack with a Switchcraft jack, secondly use ''lock tooth'' washers.

Slip a lock tooth washer over the jack stem so it sandwiches between the jack and the inside of the jack cup/plate.

This will prevent the jack from spinning when tightening the nut.

Replace the lock tooth washer each and every time you remove the jack.

This will do it for ya!

You may also want to consider a machined aluminium ''Electro-Socket'' jack cup, if it will fit, I don't personally like the look these, too ''art deco'' for me.

BIB.

Lock tooth washers.png

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    MyGirlGretta likes this.
  7. bdub415

bdub415 Electromatic

Jun 29, 2020
    California
    Appreciate the info guys!

8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    While you're at it, install a jack plate.
    Can't emphasize the toothy lock washer too much.

capnhiho and SAguitar like this.
  9. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    Wabash Slim won't steer ya wrong!

wabash slim and capnhiho like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.