Ordered A New 6120, Looking For Some Opinions!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by diamoroso, Jul 26, 2021.

1. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Pretty classy,congrats!

2. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    You have great taste in guitars further enhanced by your 86-ing the dice. That is one beautiful classy machine you got there. About the bridge my main gripe about Gretsch is they put the cheapest rattle-matic bridges on their high end guitars. :( My Black Phoenix came with the genuine Gretsch Rattle-matic probably has a wholesale cost of $1.50. It is hard to understand that being put on a Gretsch $3500.00+ guitar and a Gretsch $599.00 guitar same junky cheap bridge. Nothing but pure low end junk. Easily solved with the Gotoh Nashville GE103B very well machined Nashville Bridge under $30.00. I have had them on many of my guitars and put one on my Black Phoenix and loved it worked perfect. I was looking in parts drawer and there was a 9.5 radius TruArc I had forgot about. The TruArc looks more Gretschy so I decided to throw it on the Phoenix just for fun. The Phoenix has the same pinned bridge you have. It fit right on and I was amazed how close the intonation is with it. It has been on there now over six months and it is staying. I have also had several Comptons over the years very nice and well made. Compton or TruArc personal preference but for spot on a intonation go with the Gotoh Nashville GE103B.

Attached Files:

Davidlim46, diamoroso and G5422T like this.
  3. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yep, my Phoenix had that junky TOM on it too. Makes one wonder, but I tried out a couple of SS Bars, and all is good now.

20191107_122833.jpg 20200212_114521.jpg

Both are great bridges, but I just like the feel of the regular bar better.

diamoroso likes this.
  4. diamoroso

diamoroso Gretschie

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you! It's funny you say the bit I quoted here, because the specs list on the Gretsch website lists this as a pinned bridge, but as soon as I removed the strings the bridge slipped a bit. It's not pinned, unless I'm misunderstanding what pinned actually means, which is a bit of a disappointment. Not the end of the world to me though, so I'll just have to be very careful when changing strings.

5. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Fantastic looking guitar and really a great spec'd 6120' I have a 09 6120SSL and it's the best spec'd gretsch I have, I too like you switched out the dice knobs, not really my thing, and it looks a lot better for it IMO.
    Congrats and happy playing.

diamoroso likes this.
  6. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Pinned is two small pins in the top of the guitar where the bridge sits. On the bridge bottom it has holes that match the pins and sit on them. So you can remove the bridge.

Attached Files:

diamoroso and panhead6zero like this.
  7. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I have gretsch Rocking Bar bridges on both of my 6120s. I love the feel under my palm.

diamoroso and G5422T like this.
  8. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Your pic is the ultimate factory "pinned bridge" set up.

Those pins in the body are allen set screws. They can be lowered, raised, or removed (but why?) With an allen wrench.

That bridge base has slots that allow for intonation, but doesn't allow the bridge to move towards one "f" hole or the other.

This type of movement is the most common problem with an unpinned bridge.

Perfect design IMO.

Thanks for posting that

diamoroso and panhead6zero like this.
  9. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Country Gent

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    They can be lowered, raised, or removed (but why?)

I think it is a threaded part so it does not fall into the body. A roll pin for example could potentially work its way into the body. The threads keep it in place.

diamoroso likes this.
  10. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Actually the screws are located over the tops two tone bars.

I guess my comment "but why?" was a little unclear.

Why would one want to remove the screws and have a floating bridge?

I have to assume that the factory used the allen screws for a more consistent manufacturing process, vs just drilling a precision hole in wood and pushing in a roll pin.

Anyways, the double slotted base over the screws does the job well, keeping the bridge in alignment with the fingerboard, while allowing for intonation adjustments.

Earliest versions of the base had two holes for these screws, then one slotted hole on the high E string side, and then this double slotted version.

Just a nice set up that works.

new6659, panhead6zero and diamoroso like this.
  11. AllenK

AllenK Gretschie

Beautiful looking guitar and well photographed.

Interesting comparison you've made between the stock TOM and a Compton. Those Comptons or TruArcs are quality pieces. I like the feel of the standard Gretsch bar bridge on my Annie compared with either the stock TOM or the ABM-2400 roller on my 5622. I haven't tinkered with comparing the ABM-2400 with the Gretsch bar on the Annie as the Annie sounds and feels so good as it is.

diamoroso likes this.
  12. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Country Gent

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Ah Gotcha!

diamoroso and G5422T like this.
  13. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on the fine looking 6120T. You're going to enjoy it for sure.

diamoroso likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.