Ordered A New 6120, Looking For Some Opinions!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by diamoroso, Jul 26, 2021.

1. diamoroso

diamoroso Gretschie

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Hey all, been a while since I posted here, but you were all very helpful in the past when I purchased my 5420. I've wanted a Proline Gretsch ever since I was 14 and played a Gretsch hollowbody in a Guitar Center, the Gretsch sound just has everything I look for in an electric guitar. And despite my playing style not being too similar to Brian Setzer, I've always been a fan and thought he had the absolute best guitar tone.

My modded 5420 has been a great guitar for the last two years or so, one of my favorites to play amongst my decent sized collection, so I decided to essentially upgrade to the real deal and ordered a G6120T-BSNSH on Saturday. I haven't received the guitar yet, should arrive this week, but I'm very anxious and figured I'd start this thread to give me something to think about while I wait.

Any way those opinions I'm looking for are in regards to switching out the bridge. I don't mind the TOM style on my Gibson 335, but haven't liked them on any guitar with a vibrato. On my 5420 I changed out the TOM style for an aluminum Compton bridge, and I've been very happy with that. I'm currently leaning toward getting another Compton, possibly a different material, what material Compton bridges do you guys prefer? Also looking at the TruArcs and maybe (although doubtful) a roller type bridge. What alternative bridge options have made you guys happy?

MichaelRopp, calebaaron666 and ishtar like this.
  2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    What makes me happy, bridge wise, on a Gretsch?

Any bar bridge that has a radius matching the fingerboard.

Material wise, I prefer brass, but SS can be good too. Depends on the guitar.

Best of luck and congrats on the new git.

ishtar and diamoroso like this.
  3. diamoroso

diamoroso Gretschie

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you, that reminds me of something I forgot to bring up! This guitar has the 9.5" - 12" compound radius, for those that have changed out bridges for fretboards like this, what radius bridge did you go for? Some research has lead me to think that if I consider the fretboard as spanning about 2/3 of the guitar scale length that continuing the flattening of the radius would end up with a bridge of about 13.25" radius. Not sure if anyone would make that. Is it common to just go with 12"? I'm not sure I'd be able to tell much of a difference, but this will be the first compound radius guitar I've owned.

G5422T likes this.
  4. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

Congrats on the new 6120!

Not sure about compound bridges...

Like G5422T, I also have been a happy brass and stainless Compton user, having put a total of 2 of each flavor on 4 Gretsches. Both brass Comptons went on 6120s. Looking forward to seeing photos!

diamoroso likes this.
  5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I'm not sure about bridges and the compound radius board.

I've never owned one, just the standard 12" and 9.5" boards.

diamoroso likes this.
  6. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Congrats!
    It’s a matter of preference, but I’ve tried stainless steel, brass and aluminum on both my 6120 and my Falcon.
    I’ve found that my brass dBridge is perfect on the Falcon with the HS Filtertrons, and that an aluminum Tru-Arc works best on my 6120 with TVJ Ray Butts Filter’Trons.

I’d say swap the bridges with your 5420T for the time being, but since the Setzer might not be a 12” radius, it might not work great.
    However, I have a 12” radius bigsby bridge on my tele with a B16 bigsby, and it works just fine with the 9.5” neck. No issue at all, and I can still keep the action nice a low.
    It’s such an easy thing to experiment with, it’s probably worth a try for the heck of it.
    Good luck!!

diamoroso and G5422T like this.
  7. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Congrats on the new guitar, I can only imagine how much the wait would be killing you lol.

diamoroso likes this.
  8. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I prefer a stainless steel Compton with filtertrons, and brass with dynasonics... The stainless seems to brighten the tone of the filters while the brass tames the bright Dynas.

diamoroso likes this.
  9. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    You might want to check out the Gretsch rocking bar Bridge, I have a few and they're comfortable and help me stay in tune with some moderate Bigsby use.

diamoroso likes this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Congratulations . I have a 6120-1959 . There absolutely great guitars . Enjoy

diamoroso likes this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Make a wooden arc of the radius you think it should be. Use it as a guide then measure the center and the high and low strong heights on the end of the fret board. If the center is high it is to round of it it low it is to flat. The larger the radius the flatter the arc.

diamoroso likes this.
  12. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Country Gent

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    If you've never handled a Pro Line, you will be amazed at how light it is!

diamoroso likes this.
  13. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I'm not convinced the compound radius is really 9.5 to 12. Maybe 9.5~11? I think it was only 10.something at the end of the fretboard. Regardless, I put a Tru-Arc titanium Serpentune 12" compensated rocking bridge on my 6120 Smoke (essentially the same guitar as yours except with orange stain and Ray Butts pickups instead of Setzers). The stock TOM was hand-filed and actually worked fairly well with the Bigsby, though I still the the Serpentune is an improvement, and close enough to the correct radius to work fine.

diamoroso likes this.
  14. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I'd go for a 12" TruArc to match the profile of the dusty end, and profile the nut slots to match the 9.5" at the cowboy chord end.

speedicut and diamoroso like this.
  15. diamoroso

diamoroso Gretschie

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for all the advice guys, a lot of good ideas. The TruArc and the dBridge both look interesting to me, and I’m definitely going to try out the Compton from my 5420 on this guitar. Being aluminum I guess I can gauge from there how how much brightness I want to cut. I’m assuming the aluminum is the brightest though.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  16. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Aluminum Tru-Arc
    5E8294BE-9C53-472C-B2C5-220724A9E38C.jpeg
    Looks extra cool with gold thumbwheels I think.

Brass dBridge:
    4A90348C-96EF-4FEB-B4F6-6869D8094659.jpeg

17. AllenK

AllenK Gretschie

All good suggestions above.

For a roller, the ABM-2400 is a quality piece.

With your guitar being proline quality, you might find it's okay with the stock TOM bridge. It should be better quality than the one that came with your 5420. I changed out the TOM that came with my 5622 (presumably the same one as you had in the 5420) for the ABM-2400.

diamoroso likes this.
  18. diamoroso

diamoroso Gretschie

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    how to find screen resolution

Well it arrived to Sam Ash today and I picked it up on my lunch break. Long day at work after that, haha! When I finally got home of course the very first thing I did was plug it in and play. @AllenK you were right, the stock TOM was great, and I’d be totally happy to keep it stock. However after maybe an hour playing the guitar, I decided to tinker, and I’ve already switched the bridge out with the aluminum Compton from my 5420. I think it added just a bit of zing to the tone, and feels more solid, but that’s hard to quantify.

Also when I bought it I was planning to switch out the dice knobs to G Arrows, almost bought some from the TVJ website. Luckily I hadn’t actually placed the order yet, the guitar came with a set in the case! I’ve removed the pickguard as well, as I had with my 5420, I feel my playing opens up with out it. Like it’s in the way.

Pictures are before the changes I made obviously, I’ll get some updated pictures of how it’s looking now when I can get some good natural lighting.

19. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Congratulations on that beauty!

diamoroso likes this.
  20. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Hot damn!
    Real nice. Bet it looks even better without the guard and those darn dice.

diamoroso likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.