Optima Gold strings?

Desirsar

Gretschie
Jun 9, 2021
Lincoln, NE
Had a video about these in my feed, and the difference in tone might actually work with some pedals I use. Watched a few more videos, and almost every guitar used had single coil or basic humbuckers, and certainly not any Gretsches. Has anyone used these and can comment on the sound with Gretsch or TV Jones pickups?

juks

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California
Back in 90s when I was playing in a gigging band I used their bass strings on my Rickenbacker. The company was called something different back then.

They were more expensive than normal strings but lasted way longer. Meaning they actually were cheaper to use in the end.

I play bass with a pick so once the brightness of the strings is gone, time to change. Sound wise they were slightly brighter than other strings I had used but the longer life was the main thing. Plus they look way cooler 😀.

I have not tried their guitar strings. But get a set and see how you like them. And if you do, please let us know your experience.

Desirsar

Gretschie
Jun 9, 2021
Lincoln, NE
Seems to sound exactly like the reviews where the mids are boosted, but the Blacktop Broadtrons forget to lose any of the top end. Definitely sounds different, and not bad, but I think I'll stick to Cobalts on the 5655 and put the gold on the 2420. I'll have to get something recorded before I switch back, but since I was making an order anyway, I got more singles for a wound third.

Londoner

Gretschie
Dec 18, 2020
UK
Apparently used by Brian May

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
I tried them once and felt that -compared to my usual GHS Boomers- they where a bit less inductiv/not as loud.

I think that Brian May was a former endorser.

ToneM1

Gretschie
Mar 10, 2009
Oxnard/Ventura County Calif.
They were Gold Plated, pure Nickel round core strings. Boomers are nickel plated hex core strings. The European metals are a higher quality and last longer than American made strings. They sound better I think!

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
Apparently used by Brian May
Hmmm. I would think labeling them as "24 Carat Gold" might be frowned upon by the local assay office.

Latest posts