Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Open back tuner lube?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by rockinforJesus, Dec 28, 2016.

1. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Gretschie

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    I have a set of Wilkinson 19:1 open back tuners on my Pro Jet. They really compliment this guitar nicely. They hold tuning really well also.
    I just gave my baby some lovin'... cleaned and conditioned the fretboard, cleaned the nut and saddle slots and relubed with NO.2 with graphite, and put new strings on. There's nothing like playing just after proper care to your instrument.

Okay, here's the question... do you apply any lubrication to the tuner gears to keep them moving smoothly, and if so, what do you use?
    Also, do you periodically tighten the tuner gear screws, and if so, how tight is good?

Thanks for your help GPJ tuners.JPG

2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Maybe this?[​IMG]

BorderRadio likes this.
  3. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Gretschie

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    I have liquid silicone bicycle chain lube... is that the same stuff?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Easy Lube does not contain silicone. (It's mainly Heptane and isopropanol)
    Generally you want to keep Silicone away from a guitar, but if you're reaaally carefull I suppose you could use it.

rockinforJesus likes this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1 on the bicycle lube, but I use Tri-Flow PTFE (teflon) lubricant--I think its silicone free. I also use it wherever there is metal-to-metal contact and movement--works great with a brass nut and roller bridges like an ABM...

rockinforJesus and stevo like this.
  7. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I don't think there's any need to lube the tuners. I at least never do that. They are meant to tune and stay in place, right?

Henry and benjwri like this.
  8. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    My thought exactly . I would thing the gear would be more " atuned " to de-tuning . String tension causing slippage of the tuner

9. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Hmm, so a motorcycle transmission would be fine with zero oil?

A little lube here would aid in retarding gear wear. It wouldn't have any effect on tuning stability but might prevent sloppy tuners in a few years (depending on frequency of use of course).

If the tuner gear screws loosen, by all means tighten them. I don't think they require re tourquing on a regular basis.

10. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Questionable that these need much lube if any but it can't hurt. They barely get any use, are never turned fast or heated up etc. They could already have a thin film of Tri-Flo or similar PTFE film lube from the factory.

But if you decide to lube, get Tri-Flo. Just a drop or two per tuner, work it around and you're good for a long time. It leaves a thin film of PTFE behind and works for years. I use it on my Bigsby, saddles and nut.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    rockinforJesus and BorderRadio like this.