One upside to a busted leg… new toys!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Taco Cat, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Taco Cat

Taco Cat Electromatic

Oct 30, 2020
    Utah
    Almost two weeks ago to the day, I was up at Bear Lake, UT with the fam, out playing on the paddleboard. It was a nice day, and we were just getting started with some fun. I stepped up on the paddleboard, which I've done hundreds of times, and about two minutes later, I lost my balance, slid into the lake feet first, and due to the water being only 3-4 feet deep, it didn't do much to slow me down. I hit the sandy bottom at just the right combo of speed, angle, whatever to snap my fibula just above the ankle. All told, I was in the water less than 15 minutes. Neat.

After some kind folks helped me to the beach and into a chair, and someone else was able to open a maintenance gate to the beach, my wife drove our truck out to the beach to get me, and we headed to a clinic in town. They gave me crutches, a boot, and some pain meds, along with a suggestion to get it looked at by a doctor back home. A few days later, I've had surgery to repair torn ligaments, some new hardware installed, and I'm pretty much confined to the main floor of our house for the next 8 weeks.

Luckily, I do software development, so I can still work, and I only had to miss two days. But a big bummer is not being able to spend time downstairs in my office/music room. Enter the Fender Mustang Micro.

I was able to find a new Micro on eBay for $99, and it arrived within two days. One of the kids brought a Tele up from my office along with some headphones, and I played for nearly two hours last night. This little thing is magic. Sure, I can't fiddle with the settings too much, and you pretty much have to live with the presets Fender gives you, but just being able to plug in and play without getting off of my bed was fantastic.

It's got a decent range of amp models, from clean to full distortion, and a few effects. I'm not totally in love with everything being color coded via LEDs. Would be great if there was even some sort of number display, instead of "shoot… did I like the cyan amp or the periwinkle?…" But, at the same time, the simplicity of it means I spend more time playing, and less time fiddling around with things. Just tap a button, strum, and "well… close enough".

I love that I can pair it via Bluetooth with my phone, and a good chunk of time playing last night was just leaving a playlist of backing tracks from Youtube running, and jamming along. Also spent a bunch of time watching and playing along with a few lesson videos I've had bookmarked for a while.

I've thought about buying one of these things since they were released, but I wasn't sure that I'd actually use it enough to justify the cost. Now, even if I only use it for the next few months until I can use stairs again, it'll be worth every penny. Even though I've got a billion hours of TV & movies via various streaming services, and we even moved the Xbox into my bedroom, just being able to play music again was the best distraction from my leg I've found. This little thing is a keeper.

2. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Sorry about the break and hope it heals up quickly.
    I just picked up the Mustang Micro and it is indeed an awesome little gadget. I can play without disturbing others.
    Best of luck on your recovery.

3. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    It sounds like a pretty neat little box, and hard to beat at the price point. I won't be surprised if a firmware update or subsequent version allows deeper editing over USB or BT. That would be super cool.

-m

4. RRGuitarCo

RRGuitarCo Gretschie

May 23, 2021
    San Diego CA
    Sorry to hear about the injury, especially when it ruins a fun family outing.
    HOWEVER, I know the feeling my friend. I have a broken back in 18 places and last June someone rear ended my truck, not too hard, but just hard enough to F me up a week before my birthday.
    So somewhere in my miserable month long, bed ridden and weed induced haze, I ordered me a Black Falcon lol. I still have no idea how I'm going to pay this pig off, but I gots me a smile on my face, a pissed off neighbor upstairs and no regrets lol.

Taco Cat likes this.
  5. Taco Cat

Taco Cat Electromatic

Oct 30, 2020
    Utah
    That would be great. I've also have a Mustang GTX downstairs, and it's pretty darn convenient to just use the iPhone app to change things around. The app also works well on the newer M1 Mac Minis that can run iOS apps, so if I'm recording something, it's nice being able to just tweak things from the same computer.

6. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Get well soon TC, and we expect you to have all scales and modes memorized by the time the cast comes off! ;)

mr coffee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.